What is Tom Brady's place among the 5 greatest QBs in NFL history?

So many variables to take into consideration that it’s nearly impossible to come up with a list.

Put each of those quarterbacks at the height of their careers and on identical teams, hands down Peyton Manning is number one in my opinion.

Reactions: Chippo and Volizona
Never was a Brady fan but I gave the devil his due. He was great.
The thing I'll remember for a long time was the look on his face sitting on the bench after they roared back from 27-3 to tie it 27 all.
He was like , just hold these Mfrs and I'll win this game.

Brees and Rogers don't belong in the Top 5 All-Time
Lack of championships hurt. Great numbers, but numbers ain't everything.

Unitas & Elway should take their spots in top 5.

Then add Brees, Rogers, Marino, Bradshaw, and Young.

Manning?

Reactions: Hairy Vols
I think there are a bunch of different ways you can look at "greatest."

Greatest realized talent:
Elway, Young, Mahomes, Marino, Rodgers, etc.

Greatest resume:
Brady, Montana, Manning, Elway, Unitas, etc.

How much better were you than the league average at the time:
Unitas, Brady, Manning, Marino, Elway, etc.

I love Brees, but he's not top 5 on any list I can think of.

I think Unitas and Young are ahead of Brees. Mahomes' peak is better than Brees ever was.

Brees accumulated stats but he's never been Top 2 QB in the league for an extended period of time. (Manning, Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers were all better when careers overlapped)

Reactions: NashVol11
Fair, I can see it. I think the fact that Young just continued it so seamlessly knocked Montana down a notch.

True , and I think what hurts Montana with some is the talent he played with. Those 49er teams were loaded on both sides. He won 4 Superbowls and played great in each game

I think there are a bunch of different ways you can look at "greatest."

Greatest realized talent:
Elway, Young, Mahomes, Marino, Rodgers,

Greatest resume:
Brady, Montana, Manning, Elway, Unitas, etc.

How much better were you than the league average at the time:
Unitas, Brady, Manning, Marino, Elway, etc.

I love Brees, but he's not top 5 on any list I can think of.

I like the way you broke the QBs into those groups and I can’t disagree. Interesting that the QBs with the best resumes were not the most physically talented and visa versa.

If you are a history buff, or maybe some saw Unitas play, I think the gap between him and his peers during his era was greater than others. He was throwing for 30 TDS and 3000 yards when his peers were at 15 TDS and 1500 yards. Defense could also do whatever they wanted in those days. Today’s QB stats are overinflated because of all the rule changes that benefit them.

Neither of them have played long enough to be in the discussion yet, but I’ve never seen better QB play than the Bill vs Chiefs a couple of weeks ago. The 4th quarter and watching both guys avoid pressure and make plays down field was unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamRebel35
Well, I’ve watched a lot of football since 1964. I have a hard time with the word “greatest”. Too subjective, too hard to define. So I go with a scenario. If a football game were played to save the planet, who would I want quarterbacking Earth’s team. I’ll take any of the following five: Unitas, Brady, Staubach, Montana, Elway. Those five just flat out refused to lose and did what it took to win.

My top ten (!!!) in order

Brady
Manning
Montana
Elway
Marino
Staubach
Rodgers
Unitas
Favre
Brees

I think had Staubach not been busy serving his country and Tom Landry actually gave him the reigns from the get go he’d be the #1 for a lot of people over 50. I have Steve Young very close at #11. I actually think prime wise id take Young over Favre.

I know Steve Young had prime Jerry Rice but that 1992-1994 stretch might be the best three year run of any QB ever.

Reactions: peaygolf

Brady
Manning
Montana
Elway
Marino
Staubach
Rodgers
Unitas
Favre
Brees

I think had Staubach not been busy serving his country and Tom Landry actually gave him the reigns from the get go he’d be the #1 for a lot of people over 50. I have Steve Young very close at #11. I actually think prime wise id take Young over Favre.

You could argue that Steve Young was the most athletic QB on your list.

Brady
Manning
Montana
Elway
Marino
Staubach
Rodgers
Unitas
Favre
Brees

Where’s Otto Graham, Bart Starr and Terry Bradshaw? They won 7, 5 and 4 championships each? These days everyone wants to automatically rank QBs higher based on the championships their teams won. Only makes sense to add those guys?

Where’s Otto Graham, Bart Starr and Terry Bradshaw? They won 7, 5 and 4 championships each? These days everyone wants to automatically rank QBs higher based on the championships their teams won. Only makes sense to add those guys?

Otto Graham is like George Mikan. He played such a different brand of football I can’t really rank him to be quite honest.

Bart Starr probably deserves more credit but man did he play on some stacked teams. Like people criticize Brady for the “oh it was the system” but Starr was even more like that.

I find Bradshaw to be overrated. I know it was a different game, and he was better than Eli, but that’s how I view him. A 70’s version of Eli that won Super Bowls with loaded teams.

VN Store

Back