What is really going on with Trump's taxes?

Unless congress has an army (which I don't think is in their charter) to back up the sergeant at arms, most of us don't need to worry. Stay out of the capitol and it's unlikely that a figurehead is gonna run you down.

Why would they need an army? I have no idea what kind of staff he has, I assume not much since I don’t even know the last time the power was used.

Why would they need an army? I have no idea what kind of staff he has, I assume not much since I don’t even know the last time the power was used.

That's the point. Stay out of their house and congress has little chance of nabbing you with the SOA. Congress in a way is a toothless animal with a lot of flapping gums, and we as a society haven't figured that out.

"I'm under a routine audit, and it'll be released, and as soon as the audit is finished it will be released"

---Trump at the first presidential debate

I continue to be mystified by the lack of either an explanation for this or concern as to what he does not want us to see. Tax returns for presidential candidates are routinely disclosed. It sure looked at the time like Trump was hiding something. He was uncomfortable with the question and his demeanor was clearly evasive.

A routine audit would have been long ago finished. And if it wasn't, the WH could just say so. IMO this is a campaign promise which the press and both the GOP and the Dems should require that he honor.

Why don’t you just stay in the nasty sewer swamp and don’t come up for air?
I’ll be glad to help hold your gator head under till you quit breathing!

A federal employee told the House Ways and Means Committee of possible efforts to improperly influence the process used by the IRS to audit presidential tax returns, according to documents filed Tuesday in federal court in Washington.

The allegation was included in a motion from the committee asking a federal judge to rule, without a trial, that the Treasury Department is legally obligated to disclose President Donald Trump's tax returns. Lawyers for the committee said the case is so straightforward that the judge can rule based solely on written submissions from both sides.

The Ways and Means Committee, led by Rep. Richard Neal, D-Mass., sued the Treasury Department in July after Secretary Steven Mnuchin refused the committee's request for Trump's returns. Neal said the committee is investigating whether the IRS is properly conducting required audits of a president's and vice president's returns.

https://www.msnbc.com/stephanie-ruh...epartment-for-trump-s-tax-returns-63230533840
Dems cite whistleblower claim of possible improper 'influence' in Trump tax audit

Yeah, I asked because 11 ruled on the motion.

Anyway, is SCOTUS going to grant cert?

There's probably 15-20 on the DC circuit.

Pretty sure SCOTUS will grant cert. I doubt they'll rule in Trump's favor though. Guessing 5-4 with Roberts going with the liberal wing. May even be 6-3 with Kavanaugh joining the other five. Alito and Thomas will almost certainly side with Trump because they're massive hacks. Gorsuch I don't know.

Two of the dissenters today we're freshly appointed by Trump. No one has been impressed with Rao's legal acumen.

Yeah, I asked because 11 ruled on the motion.

Anyway, is SCOTUS going to grant cert?

Takes 4 votes to grant cert. My guess is that Roberts is going to try his hardest to find one more Republican appointee to say no. Then the Court simply denies cert. Roberts is and always has been concerned that the Court under his leadership not be seen as purely partisan.

A grant of cert puts all of the GOP appointed judges, and Gorsuch and Kavanaugh in particular, on the spot. If they vote to overturn the appellate and district courts, it will indeed seem partisan.

Pretty sure SCOTUS will grant cert. I doubt they'll rule in Trump's favor though. Guessing 5-4 with Roberts going with the liberal wing. May even be 6-3 with Kavanaugh joining the other five. Alito and Thomas will almost certainly side with Trump because they're massive hacks. Gorsuch I don't know.

Two of the dissenters today we're freshly appointed by Trump. No one has been impressed with Rao's legal acumen.
Why aren't the 4 libs that ALWAYS vote together "massive hacks"?

Takes 4 votes to grant cert. My guess is that Roberts is going to try his hardest to find one more Republican appointee to say no. Then the Court simply denies cert. Roberts is and always has been concerned that the Court under his leadership not be seen as purely partisan.
That would be amusing, but it would be a glaring dodge. To the extent that it might undercut the Court's standing.

If Trump's legal team is going to stick to the argument that a president can't be investigated no matter what, he has no shot in the Supreme Court, and I think it would be closer to 9-0 than 5-4.

Why aren't the 4 libs that ALWAYS vote together "massive hacks"?
Quite true grad. It's only the conservatives who are the bias activist. It's a giant bold print in our constitution that abortion is legal and so is separation of church and state. So yeah, there is no activism on the liberal side of the judges. Only conservatives wear vagina hats while in session

Reactions: 1972 Grad
I think it is hilarious that the leftists think they are gonna find anything in his returns to begin with. He has rooms full of accountants, and I am sure the IRS has all but given him a rectal exam every year since he became high profile.

The left is:

iu

I think it is hilarious that the leftists think they are gonna find anything in his returns to begin with. He has rooms full of accountants, and I am sure the IRS has all but given him a rectal exam every year since he became high profile.

The left is:

iu

For arguments sake, let's say he has "cheated", for how long.....decades?

So, let's then look at who, in his circle, both R and D, would have lended a helping hand.

How many elected officials would this then possibly involve, and how many private citizens. You're talking about both states of NY and NJ, and as well as federal, involving the possibility of potentially the administrations and subordinates or outliers under each administration of POTUS from Reagan, to Bush, Clinton, Bush II, and maybe Obama.........that's a lot of favors and corruption and decades worth of individuals helping Trump avoid taxes...................

Friends with other friends in very high places and private circles that lasted for decades........that's a lot of work and susceptibility to open yourself up for avoiding taxes.

Or, who at the IRS has been helping for all these years? How high up? From my experience with audits, every one of those nitwits wanted to hammer and make a federal case out of your trying to avoid paying, and Trump sure as all get out would have been under much more scrutiny than the majority of wealthy. He is high profile, a better get than the guy who no one knows of in Iowa worth 200 million.

The probability of him being so good at greasing the wheels for so long are so minimal that you'd be better off betting on the liklihood of being struck by lightning. Anything is possible, but, probable.......

VN Store

Back