What irritates you the most at restaurants?

If you had a bill over 2k for a meeting at my restaurant, you most likely filled out a contract wherein you agreed to pay an automatic gratuity. Dunno about where you ate, but I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case.

Reactions: 1 person
If you had a bill over 2k for a meeting at my restaurant, you most likely filled out a contract wherein you agreed to pay an automatic gratuity. Dunno about where you ate, but I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case.

It's why I'm starting to doubt his schtick. Server's don't intentionally sabotage their own tip. Especially at expensive restaurants. If you're having a consistently bad experience at restaurants, then you're the problem, unfortunately. 3 or 4 times a year, I could understand (if you ate out a lotj but not every other time you go out to eat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Why would you sign a contract? I’ve been to places like Morton’s or Joe’s Stone Crab where 10 people can spend $1500 in a hurry. No one brings over a clipboard and a notary. It’s not like you went to Applebee’s and ordered 3 of everything. To a high end place it’s normal business.

Why would you sign a contract? I’ve been to places like Morton’s or Joe’s Stone Crab where 10 people can spend $1500 in a hurry. No one brings over a clipboard and a notary. It’s not like you went to Applebee’s and ordered 3 of everything. To a high end place it’s normal business.

At Joe's during our Chicago trip we went as a 12 top and as we were making our reservation, they specifically let us know there was going to be an autograt. This was about 5 months ago.

Reactions: 3 people

When we book business meetings in private rooms, we have a contract signed where we get a card on file and everything. That's the only way my restaurant has a party that hits that price tag.

The only prob I have with autograt is that I tip 20% on a base level and it makes me do math...stupid math

It's why I'm starting to doubt his schtick. Server's don't intentionally sabotage their own tip. Especially at expensive restaurants. If you're having a consistently bad experience at restaurants, then you're the problem, unfortunately. Look in the mirror, man.

I feel like he's a lost boy searching for some acceptance because he makes a little bit of money and he needs people to pay attention to him. Similar to one of those girls on MTV who make a huge deal about their Sweet-16: "Daddy, please pay attention to me!! I have money!!!!" . Honestly, it's quite pathetic. I feel sorry for the guy.

Just leave him alone and he'll probably go away. The guy clearly has no idea how to act in public. He just wants people to massage his ego so he can feel important about being a SALESMAN: Haha.

Which is pathetic in it's own right........

The importance of good salesmen in a capitalistic society can not be overstated. The old saw about "If you see a trucker hauling it then a salesman sold it" is true. But, yes, there are successful salesmen, and then folk who couldn't sell a glass of water and a meal to a starving man crawling out of the desert.

The importance of good salesmen in a capitalistic society can not be overstated. The old saw about "If you see a trucker hauling it then a salesman sold it" is true. But, yes, there are successful salesmen, and then folk who couldn't sell a glass of water and a meal to a starving man crawling out of the desert.

Then there's Biopsy.

It makes you wonder what kind of person someone is when they not only constantly leave bad tips but they come onto a forum to brag about doing it.

Reactions: 2 people
Heres a little inside info...

Servers have the final word on gratuity. The exception, not the rule, is bold print on the menu states "gratuity for parties of 8 or more MAY be added". If a server thinks they'll be stiffed, Grat. If they think they'll make more without, they don't.
The happiest medium is when a guest asks to be gratted & tips on top because they understand they're server is at least trying to make a living. Wether its paying off debt or feeding two kids.
Anyone that trys to argue "if they tried harder or made better decisions earlier in life, they wouldn't be a server now"....screw you, they're giving it their all to stay on their feet.
Bad service is your gamble.
Think about this the next time youre about to leave a "0".
His/hers kids will go to bed hungry.

Ive witnessed it. Its terrible.

Servers are not servants.

Reactions: 7 people
Heres a little inside info...

Servers have the final word on gratuity. The exception, not the rule, is bold print on the menu states "gratuity for parties of 8 or more MAY be added". If a server thinks they'll be stiffed, Grat. If they think they'll make more without, they don't.
The happiest medium is when a guest asks to be gratted & tips on top because they understand they're server is at least trying to make a living. Wether its paying off debt or feeding two kids.
Anyone that trys to argue "if they tried harder or made better decisions earlier in life, they wouldn't be a server now"....screw you, they're giving it their all to stay on their feet.
Bad service is your gamble.
Think about this the next time youre about to leave a "0".
His/hers kids will go to bed hungry.

Ive witnessed it. Its terrible.

Servers are not servants.

the Chicago stuff notwithstanding, I like this Chad guy

It makes you wonder what kind of person someone is when they not only constantly leave bad tips but they come onto a forum to brag about doing it.

I have never thought that he was bragging. Just thought he was sharing stories about restaurant experiences.

Anything new on the repeat offensive tipping woman and her friend at the bar?

She's been back a couple more times. None this week.

Last night one of my bartenders had a problem with a guest. A guy read our beer menu incorrectly and expected his Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale in a 16oz pour. As it's one of our high gravs, it's only in 12oz glasses. He said that since the incorrect way is the way that he read it, and since the customer is always right, he should get it in 16oz. Ended up leaving her $4 on $60. Jackass.

She's been back a couple more times. None this week.

Last night one of my bartenders had a problem with a guest. A guy read our beer menu incorrectly and expected his Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale in a 16oz pour. As it's one of our high gravs, it's only in 12oz glasses. He said that since the incorrect way is the way that he read it, and since the customer is always right, he should get it in 16oz. Ended up leaving her $4 on $60. Jackass.

So you left the beer on the check at its correct price?

So you left the beer on the check at its correct price?

She came to me well after it happened. She's our other assistant manager, but below me. She was just bartending last night. I approved of the way she handled it.

VN Store

Back