What irritates you the most at restaurants?

The main thing that bothers me about restaurants, and this occurs mostly at fast food restaurants, is when the customer is treated like an inconvenience instead of welcomed. Actually, this happens almost any place you go today, not just restaurants - grocery stores, body shops, even doctor's offices.

I was in a doctor's office just last week. I went up to the front desk, stood in line, and when I was in the front of the line, I said, "Hello, I have an appointment today at 10:30." The worker did not even look at me, didn't acknowledge me at all. She just kept typing on her computer. Finally, after about a minute, she looks at me and says absolutely nothing. So I repeat myself, "Hello, I have an appointment today at 10:30." She rolls her eyes and replies, "Well, I need your name." That was the first thing she said to me. "Well, I need your name," in a very sarcastic tone. No greeting, no "I'll be right with you," no "Thank you for your patience while I entered the previous patient's information," or anything like that. Nothing but sarcasm and bitterness. And the reason I didn't give her my name right away was because they sometimes ask for something else first, like your birth date, phone number, or insurance card. I was waiting for her to tell me what she needed. But that's extremely inconvenient, apparently.

All she had to do was say, "Hi, how may I help you?...what's your name?" And I would have been fine with that. I'm not expecting to be treated like a king, but seriously. What happened to basic decency from customer service workers? You hardly ever receive a welcoming greeting anywhere you go anymore. Customer service has gotten so bad. It was bad in several places when I was a kid. I remember my parents complaining quite a bit, but it's definitely gotten worse.
Things will change once all the free money the government gave away dries up and job market gets tight. Fear of hunger and losing one’s home tend to motivate people.

Last edited:
My only real gripe at restaurants is when they hold you hostage trying to pay the bill by either taking forever to bring/collect or bringing your card back. I do like those table top kiosks to pay.
For personal meals, I try to pay with cash, servers gets cash for tip out and I don't have to wait.

Reactions: ArdentVol
1. Whiney customers (I have never served or worked in a restaurant). Sometimes things don’t go well, suck it up and move on unless a complete failure, then say something. (Be nice)

2. Cold and or Luke warm food.

3. Layout is key, IMO. Urban grub in Nashville has an excellent layout.

For personal meals, I try to pay with cash, servers gets cash for tip out and I don't have to wait.
I don't remember that ever making a difference when I was a server. The biggest thing with cash was when it came to claiming the tip%. Can't fudge the numbers if it's all on CC's

Unemployment in Tennessee is 3%.

Where is this mass of people that's just too lazy to work?
I think this is more about the people who have jobs but are completely worthless and have not been fired due to the labor shortage. As inflation ratchets up, people who’ve left the labor market, mainly retirees on fixed incomes and stay at home parents, will have to return to work and those people will probably do a much better job than some of the knuckleheads that have been described in the last couple of pages of this thread.

Reactions: Wireless1
I think this is more about the people who have jobs but are completely worthless and have not been fired due to the labor shortage. As inflation ratchets up, people who’ve left the labor market, mainly retirees on fixed incomes and stay at home parents, will have to return to work and those people will probably do a much better job than some of the knuckleheads that have been described in the last couple of pages of this thread.
I might have posted before, but we just hired a 67 YO salesman, the idea is that he'll be with us longer than a 20 or 30 something...... of course our country deserves it, when these "kids" were growing up they saw their parent's being laid off at every hint of a downturn, or every chance to a CEO to get a "profit" boost for their stock option, and they've grown up with a "no loyalty, chase the money" paradigm.

I might have posted before, but we just hired a 67 YO salesman, the idea is that he'll be with us longer than a 20 or 30 something...... of course our country deserves it, when these "kids" were growing up they saw their parent's being laid off at every hint of a downturn, or every chance to a CEO to get a "profit" boost for their stock option, and they've grown up with a "no loyalty, chase the money" paradigm.
Well yeah, I mean, money is the reason most people work. Anyone who turns down a better paying job because of "loyalty" is foolish imo.

Reactions: WallyBalls
Well yeah, I mean, money is the reason most people work. Anyone who turns down a better paying job because of "loyalty" is foolish imo.

But if you stay loyal and work hard enough, you can watch another person enjoy the reward while you get laid off one year before you’re owed a pension.

That person is probably making $10-$12 an hour and barely scraping by.

I understand that. I think the problem is lack of training. Workers do not get trained well enough to learn customer service skills. It’s easy to recognize bad customer service when you are the customer. It’s not as easy to recognize that you are giving poor service without getting trained.

Reactions: McDad and Wireless1
I have noticed more over the last few years (starting before Covid) a growing indifference or annoyance to your presence in the establishment. Outright annoyance is still pretty rare, but indifference is very common which is weird because if you are a server/bartender your day-to-day pay depends directly on people coming in there and spending money.

If you want to have high confidence that you'll receive good service, you have to go to a bonafide higher-end (not necessarily "fancy," just more upscale) establishment. It seemed like there used to be a baseline level of service you could expect anywhere, no matter the quality of the establishment you were at, but that's out the window now. Now you only get it at higher-end places, or at places that pride themselves on it and really market it like Chick-fil-A.

As inflation ratchets up, people who’ve left the labor market, mainly retirees on fixed incomes and stay at home parents, will have to return to work and those people will probably do a much better job than some of the knuckleheads that have been described in the last couple of pages of this thread.
I'll take that bet. We have a lot of entitled Boomers out here.

Going to Texas roadhouse tomorrow with like 3 gift cards in hand. What do I order? I'm pretty frugal so I normally just get a sirloin but im in the mood to splurge.

VN Store

Back