What happened to the Olympic team thread?

lvocd

I wanted to find out how everyone felt about the WNBA team beating Team USA.

That's exactly what it was, Freak. I saw the thread when I wasn't signed in, but once I logged in the fact that I ignore darth hid the thread from me.

Now you can just use the link posted and leave your ignore list as is if you want lol

In the post game interviews, a number of Team USA players mentioned they’d only practiced once before this game. I’m wondering if the All-Star Team practiced any more?

The Olympic team’s guard play was spotty tonight. The All-Star squad had the upper hand in that dept.

Reactions: OutofStateFan
In the post game interviews, a number of Team USA players mentioned they’d only practiced once before this game. I’m wondering if the All-Star Team practiced any more?

The Olympic team’s guard play was spotty tonight. The All-Star squad had the upper hand in that dept.
Team WNBA only had 1 practice as well

Reactions: PRG
does anyone remember the 2016 Olympic cycle? Diana Taurasi did the exact same thing that year that she's doing this year in saving her energy and not playing in the league in order to "be ready for the Olympics."

You know what, Diana? If every time you want to play in the Olympics your old, tired azz has to rest up for a few months prior in order to participate, then maybe that's your sign that your time to be an Olympian has passed. Give someone else a chance to play -- someone who is younger and healthier and who has enough left in her gas tank to do it all. Oh, I'm sure you'll be just fine for Tokyo, and even do a great job. But, seriously. Do you really think Team USA couldn't have found a way to win Gold if, say, Arike Ogwumike or Dewanna Bonner or 20 other such healthy players had been given the opportunity instead of you?

does anyone remember the 2016 Olympic cycle? Diana Taurasi did the exact same thing that year that she's doing this year in saving her energy and not playing in the league in order to "be ready for the Olympics."

You know what, Diana? If every time you want to play in the Olympics your old, tired azz has to rest up for a few months prior in order to participate, then maybe that's your sign that your time to be an Olympian has passed. Give someone else a chance to play -- someone who is younger and healthier and who has enough left in her gas tank to do it all. Oh, I'm sure you'll be just fine for Tokyo, and even do a great job. But, seriously. Do you really think Team USA couldn't have found a way to win Gold if, say, Arike Ogwumike or Dewanna Bonner or 20 other such healthy players had been given the opportunity instead of you?

Hell of a fine post...

Taurasi is def long in da toof. Every WNBA all-star is better than she is.

Politics in athletics suck. I hope Team USA gets beat in the finals at the Olympics.

They won't get beat; there's still plenty more talent on Team USA than any other country has to play with. No, USA will win gold, as always, but that is not the main point I've been trying to make for years. The biggest thing for me is that the USA does not NEED to use the same players over and over for multiple Olympics in order to win Gold. They could -- and should -- have, at most, a two Games limit on participation in the interest of fairness and, well, appreciation and kindness toward a much larger pool of women who fully deserve the opportunity to bask in the unmatched glory of Olympic competition.

I say the same regardless of who is on the team. I thought Tamika Catchings, one of my all-time favorite human beings on the planet, overstayed her time on Team USA when she participated in her third Games. But FIVE Games? For any player to take a coveted spot of five Olympic Games is downright selfish and wrong when so, so many other women are capable of helping bring home the Gold and deserving of the opportunity.

USA Basketball is broken. I can't even watch it anymore.

They won't get beat; there's still plenty more talent on Team USA than any other country has to play with. No, USA will win gold, as always, but that is not the main point I've been trying to make for years. The biggest thing for me is that the USA does not NEED to use the same players over and over for multiple Olympics in order to win Gold. They could -- and should -- have, at most, a two Games limit on participation in the interest of fairness and, well, appreciation and kindness toward a much larger pool of women who fully deserve the opportunity to bask in the unmatched glory of Olympic competition.

I say the same regardless of who is on the team. I thought Tamika Catchings, one of my all-time favorite human beings on the planet, overstayed her time on Team USA when she participated in her third Games. But FIVE Games? For any player to take a coveted spot of five Olympic Games is downright selfish and wrong when so, so many other women are capable of helping bring home the Gold and deserving of the opportunity.

I agree with you. The Olympics should have remained for amateur athletes. Once again, money buys the winners.

Reactions: sisaq

Great post.. But, I can't post anything to direct words to Diana or Bird because it's not their fault. If I'm the coach I would say no to them. Either them or me simply as that. It's hard nowadays to find people who can stand up and say the truth. How can I have Diana or Bird in my roster while someone like Arike can easily come in and score 30 point.. Last time I check in every national teams, each player have to compete to win a spot and no body is entire to save a spot.

Reactions: lvocd
This would have been the team I chose to represent the U.S. in Tokyo. It doesn't have anyone who has been in more than one Olympic Games. Only Stewart has been an Olympian (once), yet I feel absolutely certain this squad would easily have won Gold:

Courtney Vandersloot
Arike Ogunbowale
Sabrina Ionescu
Breanna Stewart
DeWanna Bonner (way overdue her shot)
Diamond DeShields
Kelsey Plum
Jewell Loyd
Dearica Hamby
Jonquel Jones
Nneka Ogwumike
A'ja Wilson

Reactions: SCspur and sisaq
This would have been the team I chose to represent the U.S. in Tokyo. It doesn't have anyone who has been in more than one Olympic Games. Only Stewart has been an Olympian (once), yet I feel absolutely certain this squad would easily have won Gold:

Courtney Vandersloot
Arike Ogunbowale
Sabrina Ionescu
Breanna Stewart
DeWanna Bonner (way overdue her shot)
Diamond DeShields
Kelsey Plum
Jewell Loyd
Dearica Hamby
Jonquel Jones
Nneka Ogwumike
A'ja Wilson

I remove Sabrina.. her game went down down

Australian and WNBA star Liz Cambage withdraws from Olympics, citing mental health
210716103122-liz-cambage-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) has announced that women's basketball player Liz Cambage -- a star player on the WNBA's Las Vegas Aces -- has withdrawn from the Australian Olympic Team and will not compete in Tokyo.

"It's no secret that in the past I've struggled with my mental health and recently I've been really worried about heading into a 'bubble' Olympics," Cambage said in posts on Instagram and Twitter.

"No family. No friends. No fans. No support system outside of my team. It's honestly terrifying for me. The past month I've been having panic attacks, not sleeping and not eating.

"Relying on daily medication to control my anxiety is not the place I want to be right now. Especially walking into competition on the world's biggest sporting stage.

Prior to the announcement of Cambage's withdrawal, an AOC spokesman had told CNN that it was aware of a potential incident involving Cambage and were awaiting a report from Basketball Australia, but the organization provided no further details.

Chef de Mission Ian Chesterman had said in an earlier press conference: "We've been informed by Basketball Australia that they're investigating an issue. We have not received any further reporting except for that."

In May, Cambage threatened to boycott the Tokyo Olympics while speaking out against the lack of racial diversity in promotional photos of the Australian Olympic team.

Australian and WNBA star Liz Cambage withdraws from Olympics, citing mental health - CNN

https://www.cnn.com/profiles/jill-martin

Reactions: sisaq
I remove Sabrina.. her game went down down

She still could have been on the 3x3 team and made an impact i would have had her, Arike O, Dearica Hamby , and Myiesha Hines-Allen. Team is just as good if not better than the current one and all versatile.

Reactions: lvocd

The future is THEN!

Dateline ESPN July 2032:

USA Basketball announced that the 2032 Olympic team will be lead by 52 year Sue Bird and 51 year old Diana Taurasi, whose experience and leadership simply can not be replaced explained The team's Great and Omnipotent leader Geno Auriemma. The genius coach, who is much taller than he looks, also reports that Bird's playing time may be restricted as she recovers from her 2nd knee replacement. Bird in a social post noted that she has not felt this good since she was 49. Independent observers have also reported that Bird has perfected her under hand scoop shot now that her arthritic shoulders prevent her from shooting conventional jumpers.

Geno-the-Great, who is also exceedingly handsome and does not have a massive old-man paunch (it's just the camera makes him look heavier), is also very excited to see Taurasi return to action after her 2 year rest period and double hip replacement surgery. "We have Diana (except for her hips) and you don't" Auriemma exclaimed.

In commenting on Nneka Ogwumike once again not being selected for a roster spot, Geno the all mighty stated, "Nneka just needs to be patient. She is only 42. She just needs more experience. I can really see her being a part of our time in, uh, 2044 or 2048 (depending on how well Diana recovers from her imminent liver transplant).

Last edited:
The future is THEN!

Dateline ESPN July 2032:

USA Basketball announced that the 2032 Olympic team will be lead by 52 year Sue Bird and 51 year old Diana Taurasi, whose experience and leadership simply can not be replaced explained The team's Great and Omnipotent leader Geno Auriemma. The genius coach, who is much taller than he looks, also reports that Bird's playing time may be restricted as she recovers from her 2nd knee replacement. Bird in a social post noted that she has not felt this good since she was 49. Independent observers have also reported that Bird has perfected her under hand scoop shot now that her arthritic shoulders prevent her from shooting conventional jumpers.

Geno-the-Great, who is also exceedingly handsome and does not have massive old-man paunch (it just the camera makes him look heavier), is also very excited to see Taurasi return to action after her 2 year rest period and double hip replacement surgery. "We have Diana (except for her hips) and you don't" Auriemma exclaimed.

In commenting on Nneka Ogwumike once again not being selected for a roster spot, Geno the all mighty stated, "Nneka just needs to be patient. She is only 42. She just needs more experience. I can really see her being a part of our time in, uh, 2044 or 2048 (depending on how well Diana recovers from her imminent liver transplant).
Masterpiece

Reactions: madtownvol
She still could have been on the 3x3 team and made an impact i would have had her, Arike O, Dearica Hamby , and Myiesha Hines-Allen. Team is just as good if not better than the current one and all versatile.

Big yes! Myiesha Hines-Allen is a great choice.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

VN Store

Back