What happened to Chandler's Mojo?

Chandler was lights out at the beginning of the regular season, but what has happened to his game? I know his shot making has struggled, but he seems to more reserved lately at attacking the rim and taking the three. No confidence or coaching?

He ran into the real world of SEC basketball along with some really outstanding long, quick, rangy upper class defenders.

Reactions: cardvolfan
These kids look like we used to look in HS when 2 a days in spring football practice were in full swing. Necessary but sure as hell not a lot of fun.
I honestly don’t know what you’ve seen to have this opinion.

Chandler was lights out at the beginning of the regular season, but what has happened to his game? I know his shot making has struggled, but he seems to more reserved lately at attacking the rim and taking the three. No confidence or coaching?
Scouting reports

Reactions: UneducatedGuess
Opposing coaches have enough film on him now and they're taking him out of his comfort zone by constantly pushing him to his right. He seems to get rattled easily when he's not comfortable. That's a sign of immaturity. He'll be fine as the season progresses.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Opposing coaches have enough film on him now and they're taking him out of his comfort zone by constantly pushing him to his right. He seems to get rattled easily when he's not comfortable. That's a sign of immaturity. He'll be fine as the season progresses.
I don’t think it’s a sign of immaturity. I think it’s a sign of not having enough experience with SEC level defenses. Big difference.

Fun story:

I used to teach summer basketball camps in between my college season and I did one down in Atlanta back in mid/late 2000s. This little kid AJ would come with his Dad (who I found out to have been a former college/pro player) and we'd always play 1-on-1 afterwards and he'd of course his 6'11" Dad would destroy me each time. But anyways had a good week that week except having to pull his son AJ off of another kid when he got embarrassed by him in a drill. Every week I taught those camps I wore orange UT gear on the last day for "jersey" day. I specifically remember AJ and his Dad talking about UT and how much they liked it up there despite being from Atlanta their whole lives.

Turns out AJ = Jabari Smith Jr and the Dad was former LSU/pro player Jabari Smith Sr.

Had Jabari Smith Jr ended up at UT I would totally be taking 100% credit for that. Buuuuuuuut it didn't. Oh well. Fun story to tell.
Legitimate "cool story, bro"!

Fun story:

I used to teach summer basketball camps in between my college season and I did one down in Atlanta back in mid/late 2000s. This little kid AJ would come with his Dad (who I found out to have been a former college/pro player) and we'd always play 1-on-1 afterwards and he'd of course his 6'11" Dad would destroy me each time. But anyways had a good week that week except having to pull his son AJ off of another kid when he got embarrassed by him in a drill. Every week I taught those camps I wore orange UT gear on the last day for "jersey" day. I specifically remember AJ and his Dad talking about UT and how much they liked it up there despite being from Atlanta their whole lives.

Turns out AJ = Jabari Smith Jr and the Dad was former LSU/pro player Jabari Smith Sr.

Had Jabari Smith Jr ended up at UT I would totally be taking 100% credit for that. Buuuuuuuut it didn't. Oh well. Fun story to tell.
Well you can take credit when Jabari Smith Jr is a top 3 pick

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Being sick with Covid would be the guess

Reactions: ArdentVol
He's afraid he'll get pulled after every mistake....He can't be effective looking over his shoulder everytime He does something wrong. I can't for the life of me understand why Barnes just doesn't usher Him over to the sidelines and coach Him up and allow Him to stay in the game, but instead He yanks Him and let's Him sit on the bench.

Who is this Chandlers Mojo you speak of? Did he interview the transfer portal?😂😂

Saw JJJ stop CRB’s from chewing him out for a long 3 at the end of regulation during Ole Miss game. Fine line between building up or tearing down.

Reactions: 508mikey
Saw JJJ stop CRB’s from chewing him out for a long 3 at the end of regulation during Ole Miss game. Fine line between building up or tearing down.
I missed that. Was it a brief encounter by JJJ? Were words exchanged?

As CRB is chewing out, or talking to Chandler, JJJ comes up and extends his hand between them says something to Barnes and leads Chandler off.

Barnes loves to brow beat his young players. He was chewing out Chandler after he shot the 3-ball at the end of regulation vs Ole Miss - so much so that JJJ had to get in between them. It’s asinine.

He is liable to go off at anytime. KC is due a show out game. He has a pretty drive and high kiss off the backboard shot. He has got to keep driving some but it’s just a matter of time that he starts nailing jumpers. He needs to put the headphones on during shoot around and find his spot and find the touch. That goes for all our outside shooters. Don’t force it but pass it around and when any of them get the look stroke that sucker and the rest crash the boards. Our D always shows up and we need it today. But on offense folks need to just relax play loose and make good passes and when the shots there just pretend your in the backyard! GBO!

Tougher competition. He will be fine

The book on defending Chandler is replete with using a bigger guard to smother him, interfere with his shot and hamper access to the passing lanes, physical defenders leaning on him wears down the first year talent, he's a good one, but Barnes problem is the inability to build an inside game to compete with when the guards are having an off night. DJ Burns, B Hunley Hatfield, the list is getting longer as are the number of ugly games

VN Store

Back