What football Vols have made Sports Illustrated covers?

Paul Naumoff was on the cover as a Miami Dolphin Don't remember year but I have the issue and could look it and post.

I never knew Paul played for the Dolphins. A lot of former Vols from that era did but I only remember Paul playing for Detroit.

Csonka, in his book with Kiick, told the story about Stan Mitchell, former Vol FB at Miami living in his car. That was the NFL in the late 60s.

Csonka also told the story about John Boynton, big OT from Tennessee. John was from Pikeville, probably the only Vol from Pikeville. Mitchell told Csonka that “where John comes from, you don’t go there unless you know somebody”.

Volinvonore,That was 1967 at Legion.field.and I was happily there.
Thanks for the correction. I was also there. One of my best in-season football trips. I did not know until that game that Walter Chadwick could throw a football.

Last edited:
I believe there was a cover with Ray Buzzard’s swimming team, maybe Dave Edgar, on it but I might be mistaken.

Reactions: Buzzbait
tennessee-jim-weatherford-october-30-1967-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg
Targeting.

(Ducks and runs)

Correct. The UT db’s intercepted Alabama 4 times if I recall. The ua player is their All American, Dennis Homan. He and Stabler had a rough day. My first UT game.

I wish I could figure out how to get Mike Jones to sign mine. I have a bunch of UT SI covers signed, but not that one or Ernie & Bernie. I should’ve sent it to Ernie when he was with the wizards.

Charlie Severance and another vol or two stopped Billy Cannon on a two point attempt to seal a win over number 1 LSU in November 1959 and that stop made to cover too! Don't you guys remember that?

Actually that is Mike Jones. Even Albert admits that.
Yep. Mike and I went to Nashville Stratford High School. He was 4 years ahead of me. I recall when this issue was published our principal made an announcement about it over the PA system. A proud moment for the Spartans.

I believe there was a cover with Ray Buzzard’s swimming team, maybe Dave Edgar, on it but I might be mistaken.
I agree, with the headline” Fastest Man Afloat”. There may have been another with Edgar and John Trembley orTrembley solo.

VN Store

Back