What exactly does Butch Jones get?

Is it mandatory that one knows? Not sure if I really do, but I'm workin on it

Fans wanted a coach who was willing to give a damn about what it means to be a Tennessee Vol. Well, it appears Coach Jones does. And that still doesn't satisfy some of the fans.

So, obviously, the problem is with some fans. Not the coach.

Now do you get it?

Reactions: 4 people
Fans wanted a coach who was willing to give a damn about what it means to be a Tennessee Vol. Well, it appears Coach Jones does. And that still doesn't satisfy some of the fans.

Now do you get it?

Curse word. I'm offended.

"It" means Butch Jones seems to understand how to run a football program, and seems to have breathed new life into UT, with great accessibility which fuels fan pride and ownership in the team. I believe the phrase "He Gets It" stems from the stark contrast in the way Dooley ran the program. Dooley shrouded the whole program in secrecy, and made decision after decision that left the fans scratching our heads, wondering what the h*** Dooley was thinking. ie; not letting the alums near the program. Those players represent the history and legacy of the program. Does Dooley not get that? Butch Jones gets its.

Now do you get it?

I think fans just want to win.

Reactions: 6 people
He makes college kids try to set up a VN carpool to the O & W game. :yess:

jk

He "gets" how to appease the masses. He acts the right way, says the right things, treats fans and alumni like he should, et cetera. For him to garner so much support in so little time despite not having coached a single game as a Vol is quite an accomplishment. I just hope we can add "wins" and "titles" to the list of things he gets.

Butch Jones gets it that by simply using twitter some fans have him penciled in as coach of the year.

Reactions: 3 people
We should've hired Auburn's boosters then. Tradition and integrity be damned.

From "fans want to win", you come up with this? :lol:

I'm just saying, knowing what it means to be a Vol is a piece of the puzzle but in the end it has to lead to results. Hopefully in CBJ's case, it will.

Reactions: 4 people
"it" - realizing the proud traditions of UT and building on them.
"it" - embracing those who paved the way before him.
"it" - understanding that for UT to be successful again, we must own this state.
"it" - recognizing that due to geographic issues, he must work harder than other coaches in the SEC to beat them.
"it" - keeping the UT faculty on the good side of the football program (can't have too much academic help)

That will do for now, stay tuned for more later.
Not bad.

He gets that not only does the fan base need to be excited about Tennessee Football, but so do recruits,.so does the coaching staff, most importantly so does our football team! He has awaken everyone as of now and doing so in a,positive way unlike Kiffin. So for now Butch has most definitely impressed. Now it needs to carry over on the field and into Ws. Go Vols!!!

From "fans want to win", you come up with this? :lol:

I'm just saying, knowing what it means to be a Vol is a piece of the puzzle but in the end it has to lead to results. Hopefully in CBJ's case, it will.

What fans don't want to win? What other point is there to being a sports fan? "I'll wait til I see it on the field" is still the dumbest thing going. Regardless of who says it. So please don't say it.

My point was, how do you get there and what does it feel like when you do? Auburn won. And how are their fans feeling right now?

Reactions: 2 people
What fans don't want to win? What other point is there to being a sports fan? "I'll wait til I see it on the field" is still the dumbest thing going. Regardless of who says it. So please don't say it.

My point was, how do you get there and what does it feel like when you do? Auburn won. And how are their fans feeling right now?

Are you drinking? Your posts are making no sense. What are you angry about? People like Butch, but its bad, because Auburn is dirty? You serious?

"it" - realizing the proud traditions of UT and building on them.
"it" - embracing those who paved the way before him.
"it" - understanding that for UT to be successful again, we must own this state.
"it" - recognizing that due to geographic issues, he must work harder than other coaches in the SEC to beat them.
"it" - keeping the UT faculty on the good side of the football program (can't have too much academic help)

That will do for now, stay tuned for more later.

Some of these are what I would describe as strategic definitions of "getting it" and I agree with every one of them. On a broader level, however, I would say that the phrase means that he understands, on a visceral level, the extraordinary pride, fervor, historical significance and deep sense of tradition which members of the Big Orange Nation associate with Tennessee football. Note the seriousness with which he makes reference to himself as the "steward" of Tennessee football.

To borrow a common phrase from the Vietnam War era, he is deeply immersed in the process of "winning the hearts and minds of the people." In so doing, he is rolling out one motivational program after another, all of which are geared to win the support of different constituencies, whether it be faculty, former players, alumni, family of current players and future recruits, etc. And I might add that he is doing a masterful job of doing "it." There is definitely a method to his madness or "organized chaos" as he sometimes describes "it."

P.S. As we actually approach football season, it will be interesting to see what he does to more effectively marshall the support of the student body as a "12th man," something he really hasn't focused on yet and understandably so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Nice knowin ya volly

VN Store

Back