What do you think about the proposed kickoff rule.

Soon... Players will wear flags on all KO and punts. Tackling a returner rather than pulling the flag results in a 15 yd penalty... added to the end of the run.

Opposed.

The use of special teams to pin the opponent deep in their own territory is an important part of strategy.

If they get to start from the 25 for fair catching at the 10 yard line, I just don't see why they'd be awarded the difference between the spot of the catch and the 25.

At least with a touchback for kickoffs that go out the back of the end zone, it could be argued that the kicker kicked it "too far" to give the receiving team an opportunity to return, so they're awarded yards that they might have had if they weren't denied the opportunity to return. That at least makes sense.

On the other hand, if it's returnable from the 10 and they want to gain an extra 15 yards, then they should run it to the 25 before they're tackled.

Reactions: 1 person
I think we need a new rules committee. The people we've hadthe past 10 years ain't cuttin it.

Just leave the freaking game alone. It's becoming like nascar, new rules every year that no one understands.

Well, if we get rid of kicking off, punting and extra points, our roster can carry another 10 back up QBs.

In the words of the great Adrian Crownower..."If it's being done by the Army, it's probably not being done right." NCAA anyone?

In the words of the great Adrian Crownower..."If it's being done by the Army, it's probably not being done right." NCAA anyone?

Substitute Army with Government and probably with definitely that quote makes sense

Equality for nerds!

Nerds have kept the sport alive much longer than it would have been had lawyers been allowed to work unchecked.

It is possible to keep the game alive in an exciting format with a combination of coaching adaptions, practice adjustments, and science advancements. Here's how I would handle it:

1) The NCAA, along with the NFL, CFL, and development leagues, need to own up to the research that heavily suggests the way the game had been played resulted in CTE and other life-changing risks.
2) Require signed waivers of liability by participants, including a requirement that participants explain in their own words the potential chronic conditions that the participant may experience. Under 18, the parent would be required to write and sign.
3) Coaches should strongly consider adopting a helmet-free practice schedule. For teaching players to work within the constraints of limited sightlines due to helmet interference, new practice gear should be developed that limit sight without providing protection.
4) The NFL should create a Sports Science division that would recruit the best and brightest in research and polymer scientists and remunerate them richly for the development of advancements in safety equipment.
5) The policy wonks that are turning the game into two-hand touch should be replaced by a council of coaches and active and alumni players to review the game rules and incidents and implement common sense rules that protect players without fundamentally changing the game.

For the tl;Dr crowd:

1) Own up to the problems
2) Have incoming players acknowledge the risks legally
3) Throw money at the problem in a way that has good optics
4) Screw the lawyers, let players and coaches decide the rules

I’ve always wondered if the game would be safer if the players had minimal protective gear. Kind of like rugby. Instinctively, few people are going to launch themselves (with their unprotected head first) into another person. Tackling airborne receivers would be a problem though and would have to be made illegal. A blindsided quarterback may also problematic so quarterbacks would probably need more padding.

Not saying I would like football like this. Just a thought experiment.

Just move the kickoff up to the 40 yard line-up take away the tee and take away the running start for the coverage team. Less speed, shorter field, less big hits, shorter kicks... the game is still fun.

NCAA kickoff rule change: Why Greg Schiano'''s proposal is better | SI.com

The rule basically says you don't have to be in the end zone to get a touchback. Just fair catch it anywhere inside the 25.

My opinion after a quote from the article. They mention that Greg Schiano has a better idea, and get a dig in to the Tennessee fan base. Here we go again.

My take: Don't mess with it. You just might make it worse. Punting instead of a kickoff. Come on Greg...

I'll compare this to basketball as I once knew it. Before the possession arrow existed, with every tie up, there was a jump ball, at either mid court or the free throw circle which ever was closer. If you had a 7 footer, maybe it seemed a little unfair. and I honestly can't remember if the two that tied it up were the ones that jumped, or if you could pick. Point is, like the kicking game, if you practiced it and were good at it, it helped your game, much like number 6.

Would we be down to 6 maxims instead of 7?

So that part of basketball evaporated never to return. With this rule- the kickoff will be Darwinized into obsurity, and I feel, somewhere down the road, there will be no kickoff's, rather, much like the overtime play - you just put the ball on the 25 (75 yds away from the goal, not the OT 25) after the other team scores a touchdown and start from there. No more Evan Berry 100 yard returns.

Strategy for kicking will change because the receiving teams can redistribute personnel in ways to take advantage of this.

Will it also kill the onside kick? Schiano's proposal would. Tennessee fans aren't going to like that, are we?

If they are going to do stupid **** then bring the ball out to the 15 if it's kicked that far. Otherwise you get it where you fair catch it. Why are we picking the 25? During returns players rarely exceed the 25. I would dare say the average return is 20 yards. Put it there. If we are going to do stupid ****, put it on the 50 and get rid of the game clock. Each team gets 2 possessions going one direction a break and then 2 possessions going the other. Take a 20 minute break and repeat. Let's make them play in the big plastic bubbles and allow rolling until they get stopped.

Freaking NCAA are a bunch of morons.

VN Store

Back