What do board members think is the problem of this team?

Phillips got in early foul trouble and he is a freshman. He should be our version of KC, this year. When we need a basket, Phillips should be able to get to the basket and get a bucket or free throws. When it clicks, that's when this team will reach it's potential, imo

KY does this every year, they look bad starting the season and by tournament time they are humming along. This year we may need to do the same thing, develop as the year goes on. Last year's team was good in the regular season but tanked in the tournament.

I'm not certain that you can say we have "a problem with this team" due to one bad early season game. I know it was exhibition, but we did knock off Gonzaga a couple weeks ago.

If you watched last season, there were a couple of games that looked eerily similar to the Colorado game. One was really costly.

I have high hopes for Phillips. JJJ needs to be more aggressive. Without a strong inside game, we have to have guys that can get to the rim when the outside shots aren't falling.

KY does this every year, they look bad starting the season and by tournament time they are humming along. This year we may need to do the same thing, develop as the year goes on. Last year's team was good in the regular season but tanked in the tournament.
This is true of Kentucky, but it is usually due to integrating a half dozen freshmen, and lately, a handful of transfers into their lineup, trying to generate some cohesiveness and chemistry. Maybe that is what's going on with Tennessee, but Julian Phillips and Tyreke Key are really the only new pieces to see significant playing time, so far. The majority of this team is returning intact, having played with each other over the course of one, or more, seasons. I don't think we are seeing the same issues we have seen with UK in past seasons, but if we are, then all the more props to Calipari for recruiting great talent and meshing it together by season's end. It's apparently much harder than a lot of our fans seem to believe.

Its one game don't think it is any reason to worry...We know Vescovi can shoot as the same for a lot of the players on this team. We had a very poor shooting night. We know Zakai can play and i think he rebounds in a big way in our next game.. I def think Rick was way too harsh on him but we've seen rick be hard on his players and they know he truly cares for them so i don't see it being a big deal. Hopefully Uros isn't too bad him and Aidoo are by far our best bigs from my observations. Olivier needs to slow down and the ball sticks with him bad.... said the same thing last year. Do something with the ball or move it. I expect this team to compete for the SEC and make noise in march.... Rick gets knocked around for not doing well in ncaa tournament but its difficult to win... basketball in the NCAA you get one game and if your off that day you go home. coach K had 3 top 5 draft picks and didn't win it. It takes getting hot and staying hot.. Rick proved a lot to me winning the SEC tournament last year and we got matched up against a team in the NCAA that always recruits well in mich. Should we have lost no but their center got hot and played well it happens.

Are you saying we now are a "Ky" type team? I hardly think so. Even if we "turn it on" we still are not in this year in year out , KT, Duke. NC and others, high level class.

Post scoring is once again an issue. This was masked pretty substantially last year by having a generational talent like Chandler who could attack the basket and get pretty much anything he wanted at the rim. We lost that. I have yet to see any player be able to successfully attack the basket through these first two games.

Sure, we shot a lot of free throws last game, but you can’t rely on officials to be whistle happy. Just look at the second half. 13 fouls for Colorado in the first half. 6 in the second half. Officials ALWAYS course correct. Once we stopped going to the line, we were bullied and smacked around the rest of the game because we had no reliable scorer inside the perimeter.

I think the lack of a true PG and the lack of PG depth is a bigger issue early on than we realized. We knew it would be a problem, but I didn’t expect it to read its ugly head till December at the earliest. We have to figure that out if we want any type of success in conference play.

Last edited:
Biggest problem is Barnes didn't stand strong for that PG we had committed. Can't blame him when they started claiming tampering, but you put that kid on this roster, and I think we look a lot better both offensively and defensively.

Too early. Coach Barnes will figure it out

See, I don't get or like this--- Barnes has been a coach long enough and been at UT long enough that he shouldn't have to "figure it out"--- at this point, he should know what it takes and have his team ready mentally and physically. That only tells me their practices have been lacking.

Most of Barnes teams other than when Williams and Admiral have been very emotionally fragile, not a lot of confidence and swag... If they come out and are in sync and hitting, then they can keep it and beat anyone... they come out cold or hit some cold spells and their confidence plummets and they hardly ever come out of it... That's coaching. Sorry.

Very early in the season, so most likely they will get it together sooner than later. Definitely a head scratcher coming off last season and a great showing pre-season to look and act like they did against CO...Guess we'll see.

Reactions: Volfan1000
See, I don't get or like this--- Barnes has been a coach long enough and been at UT long enough that he shouldn't have to "figure it out"--- at this point, he should know what it takes and have his team ready mentally and physically. That only tells me their practices have been lacking.

Most of Barnes teams other than when Williams and Admiral have been very emotionally fragile, not a lot of confidence and swag... If they come out and are in sync and hitting, then they can keep it and beat anyone... they come out cold or hit some cold spells and their confidence plummets and they hardly ever come out of it... That's coaching. Sorry.

Very early in the season, so most likely they will get it together sooner than later. Definitely a head scratcher coming off last season and a great showing pre-season to look and act like they did against CO...Guess we'll see.

You don’t understand that every season and team is different then. Long time coaches have to figure out things every year. Different personnel; different pieces; different personalities. It’s part of running a program.

Last year’s team got much better offensively as the year went on and then had a poor game against Michigan. But it was good enough to win a bunch of big games.

VN Store

Back