What defines a stadium?

CampBlount

Please ban me. VN is toxic.
I ask because I wonder what gives Vanderbilt fans (other than their innate sense of entitlement and superiority) the right to claim that Dudley Field was "the first football stadium ever built in the South" or even "the first stadium in the south to be used exclusively for college football" -- given that Shields-Watkins Field (including a "stadium" seating 3,200) opened for football in 1921, a full year before Dudley Field opened?

I get that, according to the two Wiki articles, Dudley allegedly seated 20,000 when it opened and ours only seated 3,200 that first year -- but they don't claim that theirs was the "largest" in the South at the time; they claim it was the first.

I'm just asking, and the Vandy bandwagoneers on here are sure to enlighten me -- but it seems to me they have a weak claim on the "first football stadium in the South."

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
If you dont count the name change.. pretty sure Bobby Dodd has the oldest in the south.

Reactions: feathersax
Maybe because the 1st event in Neyland was a track meet.

Maybe because the 1st event in Neyland was a track meet.

Yes, the Wiki article says they held a track meet at Shields-Watkins immediately after the faculty and students finished its construction to celebrate its opening -- but it pretty clearly was intended for football.

Yes, the Wiki article says they held a track meet at Shields-Watkins immediately after the faculty and students finished its construction to celebrate its opening -- but it pretty clearly was intended for football.

Splitting hairs but exclusively seems to be the key word.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
A thing with a lot of seats and some sort of athletic field in the middle?

Can't we find something more interesting to get offended about? Unless, of course, it's the "first" bit, in which case, GTH Vandi.

Of course it's the "first" bit. The Vandy claim is the sole reason for the post.
Duh.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNExile
Sewanee was the first. The field isn’t even the right (modern day) size it’s so old.

Built in the 1890’s.

Whatever happened to those old laughing bags?

Attachments

• Tennessee2 at vandie2014.jpg
    Tennessee2 at vandie2014.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 19
What the commode doors claim is rarely part of reality. Let them wallow in their high fallutin' ignorance.

This...
stream_img.jpg

Alabama claims a national title from 1941 in which they finished 20th overall and 3rd in the SEC. It isn't the only title that's laughable for them.

Anybody can claim anything in this day and age I suppose.

Hell, I still claim we are WRU baby!

Reactions: Jravol78
I ask because I wonder what gives Vanderbilt fans (other than their innate sense of entitlement and superiority) the right to claim that Dudley Field was "the first football stadium ever built in the South" or even "the first stadium in the south to be used exclusively for college football" -- given that Shields-Watkins Field (including a "stadium" seating 3,200) opened for football in 1921, a full year before Dudley Field opened?

I get that, according to the two Wiki articles, Dudley allegedly seated 20,000 when it opened and ours only seated 3,200 that first year -- but they don't claim that theirs was the "largest" in the South at the time; they claim it was the first.

I'm just asking, and the Vandy bandwagoneers on here are sure to enlighten me -- but it seems to me they have a pretty claim on the first football stadium in the South.

Why are we spending any time discussing anything other than UT? who fricken cares? I am not mad, just wondering why this gets any attention? and I don't need a lecture on freedom of speech, if I was Freak........this thread would have lasted less than it took to type.

Reactions: OrangeByBirth

I'm just asking, and the Vandy bandwagoneers on here are sure to enlighten me -- but it seems to me they have a pretty claim on the first football stadium in the South.

I didn't know this existed. Vandy bandwagon.

Why are we spending any time discussing anything other than UT? who fricken cares? I am not mad, just wondering why this gets any attention? and I don't need a lecture on freedom of speech, if I was Freak........this thread would have lasted less than it took to type.
It's the off season man. What has changed with the team since yesterday that requires uninterrupted coverage?

Reactions: CampBlount

VN Store

Back