What can we expect from LSU and what does it take to win this game?

It's going to take more wins over legit teams for me to start becoming a homer again. I've been letdown too many times and this secondary is really bad. Just make sure you don't start blaming the coaching staff and wanting everyone fired if Tennessee loses this game or "only" wins 9 games this year.
I'm sure CJH can't sleep worried about your "homer" status....I know I can't.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
LSU hasn’t done much in the first quarter so far.. If we can jump on them early and often, and put the pedal to the metal! I do not think they can catch up with us. It would be nice to see some decent secondary play to make it more comfortable… everything is in our favor. Especially the 11 AM start time! GBO!!!
How is the early start time in our favor? Not saying it isn't, just wanted to better understand the rationale.

Odd to say but I think they're just now finding their identity. Hopefully Auburn can flesh that out more. They lost to FSU but would probably beat them even now. They've been better than UT on D. Their outing vs MSU was impressive though a lot of that was simply athletic advantage. They're good on O but their FCS opponent skewed that some. Versus FBS only, they're 10th in scoring in the SEC.

UT contained AR fairly well running the ball. I don't think Daniels is as good of a runner but he is a big part of their run game and especially against better competition. He leads the team in both yards and carries.

They throw a lot of short stuff so UT needs to tighten up there. Daniels so far prefers to dink and dunk. He's 3rd in the SEC in completion % and 9th in yds/att. Hooker leads the conference at 10.6 yds/att with Daniels at 7.5. Neither has thrown a pick which is interesting. But you have to factor in that Daniels throws a ton of short passes.

One possible soft spot is that LSU is 13th in the SEC in sacks allowed with 13. UT is 8th with 8 allowed in spite of throwing deeper routes. UT might have an opportunity bringing a lot of heat. This also points to why LSU throws short a lot- their OL isn't very good in pass protection or in opening holes for their RB's.

They're at least as QB dependent as UT and probably more. Probably a match up of the two most talented WR groups in the SEC if not the country. UT has to play tighter or they'll dink and dunk us to death. At the same time, there are opportunities in the QB pressure.
Those short passes are our Achilles' Heel. We have gotten burned on those quite a few times. Our defense seems to collapse with the short ones. It's like we get caught off guard for some reason. On 1st and 2nd downs, short passes will get you a first down every time. 5 yards here, 5 yards there and they get more momentum while keeping our defense out on the field.

Reactions: sjt18
I’m surprised so many people rate LSU so highly. They haven’t impressed me at all. We can’t take any game for granted but this is a game we should win.

Especially with a bye week to get healthy and avoid an emotional letdown from the Florida game. I think it sets up well for us.

I believe LSU will be the best team we have played to date. They feature a strong defense line and a very QB. Perhaps you could make similar comments about Florida or Pitt, but I think LSU will be better than the teams we have faced. It will take SOLID play from both the offense and defense (and special teams) for Tenn to win this one.

GBO

It’s gonna be hard as hell to win down there. LSU is by far the best team we have faced, and in my worthless opinion the best team on our schedule not named Georgia. They may well be damn close to Bama good. They have five star talent and depth and a great coach …. At home in a very hostile environment. Even at 11 am, tiger stadium is insane. I mean unreal loud…
We gonna have to play our best game yet, win the turnover and penalty battle, and score just about every time we touch the ball.
Says here: UT 52, LSU 51

Those short passes are our Achilles' Heel. We have gotten burned on those quite a few times. Our defense seems to collapse with the short ones. It's like we get caught off guard for some reason. On 1st and 2nd downs, short passes will get you a first down every time. 5 yards here, 5 yards there and they get more momentum while keeping our defense out on the field.
Yep. They've got to tighten up and maybe do some disguised coverages, man under, or zone blitzes. Finding ways to pressure Daniels while filling his quick pass lanes with hands will be key.

Yeah, if we give up 450 yards passing we are toast.

Oh wait.....
It’s really a tough mentality to get your head around. We just don’t play traditional field position football with a hard nosed defense. We’re playing basketball on grass and just trying to put up a little resistance and not give up big plays until we get the ball back by punt or FG.

Our offense can play with anyone in the country. Defense makes me nervous. Going to have to play good disciplined ball, little to no penalties.....hunker down and go at it. There you go, that's the post. GBO!!!

As good as LSU’s defense has been; the afternoon kickoff works into our favor. Imagine having to keep up with Tennessee’s offensive speed and pace in 95 degree swamp heat… We may quite literally run their big boys to death.

It's going to take more wins over legit teams for me to start becoming a homer again. I've been letdown too many times and this secondary is really bad. Just make sure you don't start blaming the coaching staff and wanting everyone fired if Tennessee loses this game or "only" wins 9 games this year.

If he “only” wins 9 games this year, the entire fan base should be very happy. We all need to remember where the program was a little over one year ago.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
If he “only” wins 9 games this year, the entire fan base should be very happy. We all need to remember where the program was a little over one year ago.
Thank you. We have a good team but we’re not going to win every single game left on the schedule and that’s ok. But if you bring that up around here you’re a negavol or whatever.

Reactions: EZE
Thank you. We have a good team but we’re not going to win every single game left on the schedule and that’s ok. But if you bring that up around here you’re a negavol or whatever.
Right. A 9 win season would be amazing considering where we were when coach started. The fact that fans believe we can win every game feels great though.

Reactions: kcvols1
I’m surprised so many people rate LSU so highly. They haven’t impressed me at all. We can’t take any game for granted but this is a game we should win.

Especially with a bye week to get healthy and avoid an emotional letdown from the Florida game. I think it sets up well for us.
Question being just how healthy we will be?

VN Store

Back