What are your personal thoughts on current College Baseball Bravado?

NEWDAYVOL

....and what I would call excessive celebration or outrage over nothing.

First take off the orange glasses.

Second, I realize this may have been talked about ad nauseum last year as this is one of the things Vol Baseball became known for.

Thirdly, all teams do this to an extent, so I am not just picking on us. GCU was like this yesterday.

Emotion is awesome (not talking about that), but I just don’t get (and I am speaking in general here) when any college baseball player hits a double in the third inning of a meaningless game…and then must do 10 seconds worth of hand gestures, fist pumps, and dancing towards their team, the other team, and the fans. It’s just weird, embarrassing, bush league, and juvenile to me.

For me, you show more swag by acting like you’ve done it before. I guess I’m used to seeing players methodically taking off their batting gloves and standing on second base locked in when the camera cuts to them after a decent hit…not 6 fist pumps, telling the other team to suck it, and F u, and then cheer leading the crowd.

I think all the antics can be a distraction sometimes when the games within the game become bigger than the game itself.

Second, I realize this may have been talked about ad nauseum last year as this is one of the things Vol Baseball became known for.

Thirdly, all teams do this to an extent, so I am not just picking on us. GCU was like this yesterday.

Emotion is awesome (not talking about that), but I just don’t get (and I am speaking in general here) when any college baseball player hits a double in the third inning of a meaningless game…and then must do 10 seconds worth of hand gestures, fist pumps, and dancing towards their team, the other team, and the fans. It’s just weird, embarrassing, bush league, and juvenile to me.

For me, you show more swag by acting like you’ve done it before. I guess I’m used to seeing players methodically taking off their batting gloves and standing on second base locked in when the camera cuts to them after a decent hit…not 6 fist pumps, telling the other team to suck it, and F u, and then cheer leading the crowd.

I think all the antics can be a distraction sometimes when the games within the game become bigger than the game itself.
Hell nah. @OldTimer

Unfortunately it’s part of the new age of baseball. It got the green light in the MLB from Bautista, Tatis, etc. and has trickled down from there.

Social media clout (and maybe sponsorship $$$) are also contributing factors.

Unfortunately it’s part of the new age of baseball. It got the green light in the MLB from Bautista, Tatis, etc. and has trickled down from there.

Social media clout (and maybe sponsorship $$$) are also contributing factors.
Plenty of exposure via twitter when someone crosses the line. $$$ on clicks.

Reactions: Ned Land
I tend to agree. It seems baseball is getting more and more like football with the excessive celebration and sometimes antagonistic behavior. It cheapens the game to me but it seems to be the norm in our society today. Team celebration is fine when the occasion warrants it but now it seems many hits regardless of their significance are celebrated like they're a bottom of the ninth walk off homer. Too, too much IMHO.

Sports are entertainment. I view it as gamesmanship. As long as there are no physical altercations then I don’t care what they do. Sports are suppose to be fun and if someone wants to hold their junk then so be it. Doesn’t bother me one bit. If you don’t like it then don’t watch it 🤷‍♂️

Let the kids play. NCAA cracking down on team celebrations is silly. Let them show emotion and have fun. There’s a reason TN was the most watched team in 2022. I agree there’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed but for the most part, TN has managed that well.
We have HS kids at our local HS in Alabama doing the Drew Gilbert “Lion King/cracking an egg/whatever” celebration when they get a hit and rocking daddy hats to work their camps. It’s been awesome to see the radial impact our program has had on kids who are (or were) fans of other SEC programs. The only way they see that is if they’re tuned into our games and they unequivocally are. Not just our antics, but all of it is good for college baseball in engaging the younger generation.

I’m a dad so I brag like all of us do on our kids. A week ago my soon to be 6 yr old said he didn’t like baseball and wasn’t playing on a team anymore, he’s only playing basketball. Fast forward to today, after 2 days worth of watching college baseball of his own volition, he wants to go take BP and grounders. He hit and fielded balls for damn near 3 hours today in two sessions. It’s not the antics and celebrations per se that have roped him in, but the entertainment factor is there and doesn’t hurt keep him engaged.

But when it goes overboard, it goes overboard fast. Ie. The juco pitcher who took offense to the hitter, hitting a home run and mouthing off last year and trucked him when he rounded third. I believe that catcher that was behind the plate is now a volunteer. The pitcher faced all kinds of penalties including ejected, thrown out of school, and not eligible to play again.
The line of OK, and over. The line is very very thin.

I would probably come down on the position you outlined more often than not. I’m older but even in my day we showed a lot of emotion but NEVER with the intent of degrading or embarrassing our opponents. I think most here would agree (I know there’s some who maybe don’t care about what a player does) the players should keep the respect for the game in place and not denigrate the game with too much narcissistic antics. Celebrations? Absolutely. Showing emotions? Not a problem. Making it all about you? Never! JMO.

But when it goes overboard, it goes overboard fast. Ie. The juco pitcher who took offense to the hitter, hitting a home run and mouthing off last year and trucked him when he rounded third. I believe that catcher that was behind the plate is now a volunteer. The pitcher faced all kinds of penalties including ejected, thrown out of school, and not eligible to play again.
That’s on the pitcher for having thin skin. Just laugh it off and strike their butt out next time. If you don’t want dudes talking trash then don’t give up a home run. Strike them out and talk trash right back at them. Or don’t, I don’t care. Whatever your personality is. Just don’t allow someone to piss you off so bad that you cause physical harm.

The real question is can we have someone step up and be another Drew Gilbert, another Jordan beck, another Evan Russell? Can we have that fire back this year that we were the best and wanted everyone to know. A damn shame we didn’t win it all last year. Such a great team.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yes, but that was full blown assault by that Pitcher. It was one of the craziest things I’ve ever seen in sports. The Pitcher got what he deserved by getting expelled. That was CRAZY!

The real question is can we have someone step up and be another Drew Gilbert, another Jordan beck, another Evan Russell? Can we have that fire back this year that we were the best and wanted everyone to know. A damn shame we didn’t win it all last year. Such a great team.
Gilbert, Russell, and Beck are rare personalties and leaders. They set the bar incredibly high. The vocal leadership of those guys also comes from experience. It’s hard for sophomores to be leaders in their first full seasons as starters.

Gilbert, Russell, and Beck are rare personalties and leaders. They set the bar incredibly high. The vocal leadership of those guys also comes from experience. It’s hard for sophomores to be leaders in their first full seasons as starters.
Put together a respectable season, contend, then challenge. It’s a pattern.

what about the transfer that was supposed to play? Isn’t he a senior ?

Also this is off topic but last year did we just schedule cupcakes at the start of the year? Because we just demolished our many first opponents.

This is kind of what I mean. I'm all for fire, emotion, passion, competitive spirit, etc. But it doesn't look like that pretentious grandiose look at me, F-U, "fire" (as you call it) = National Championship (despite all of the talent) Maybe a little more focused attitude and less off the rails bravado would serve us well. I think these guys, on our team or any other, look like a bunch of T-ballers when they treat a 3rd inning double in a meaningless game like a Kirk Gibson World Series walk off.

None of the players this yr may have that degree of showmanship. Good play should be exciting enough. It got overboard last year & prevented the team from achieving their height. JMO.

Also this is off topic but last year did we just schedule cupcakes at the start of the year? Because we just demolished our many first opponents.

Meh. Scheduling happens pretty far out. Then, if ya know what ya got, cupcakes are good. All those highly ranked kids get some time.

This year, I THINK, where they’re coming from, let’s see what we got. CTV pretty much said so post game. Last year, veterans…this year new faces. Schedule tough, play on the road, see what happens. I’m glad we won a game, but I bet nobody in the program is psyched right now, nor or they shaking in their shoes. We’ll be okay.

what about the transfer that was supposed to play? Isn’t he a senior ?
Yes, Denton and Merritt both are but this is their first season as Vols. Takes time to gel. There’s no “home grown” veterans in the field. Thank goodness for Sewell and Kirby for their veteran presence on the mound. This team is very young in the field With the notable exception of the 3 portal transfers. I’m thankful that Scott decided to come back as a G student but he’s never been a full time starter. Booker is a Jr but same situation as Scott. Both could have HUGE seasons with their experience and tools.

we played 8 games last year before the tournament in Houston. Our non conference schedule was average IMHO. Iona being the exception.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don’t think they make them like Evan Russell or Drew Gilbert. Those guys are one of a kind from a leadership and skill standpoint. They spoiled us with their talent, competitiveness, and swagger.

Completely agree. The antics last year were way over the top and the team looked rather foolish late in the season a couple of times. And
we don't really need a lot of theater when somebody hits a double.

Even yesterday, the guy who hit the home run was ridiculous: He's bunny-hopping around the bases and emoting in other ways as if he'd just
won the national title for us. Pump your arm/fist and yell, and then just round the bases and celebrate to a modest/moderate degree with your teammates. I do believe in the adage, "act like you've been there before."

VN Store

Back