What are expectations for this season compared to last?

counterdevotee

Current Student
As a student who has been completely taken up in football and basketball this season, I haven't really focused on baseball at all. From those of you who know better than me -- what should we expect this season? Are we supposed to be about the same skill level as last year? Less? more? Should we expect a record similar to last year? I'm just curious to hear your takes and info about the team.

As a student who has been completely taken up in football and basketball this season, I haven't really focused on baseball at all. From those of you who know better than me -- what should we expect this season? Are we supposed to be about the same skill level as last year? Less? more? Should we expect a record similar to last year? I'm just curious to hear your takes and info about the team.

On paper, we should be better however team chemistry is unknown at this point
Can we match last year's win total, that's going to be tough as last year was a magical year and lots of things fell into place
Omaha is now the new goal every year, nothing less

The talent is there to compete with anyone. This could be the team that won it all after the team that should have won it all.

With that said, the game of baseball and the SEC don't care about our expectations. Anything can happen. Enjoy the ride.

Win the National Championship instead of not winning the National Championship.

The 2023 team may not have the cast of characters of '22, but the talent is there. Pitching will be much better, coaches have learned some lessons, and the portal brought us some very nice talent. Maybe the record won't be better, maybe no bat flipping, no fur coat, no daddy hat, no 100-105.5 mph pitcher, but I do believe this team will get to Omaha.

Replacing all position players with 3 veteran portal transfers and a combination of returning players and true freshmen. It will take time for the team to gel. Pitching will be elite, team is very talented, lineup is lefty heavy, and lost tremendous leadership to MLB draft and graduation. Lots of potential but repeating last year’s record is unlikely (and unnecessary). Goal is to win SEC and make it to Omaha. It will be a fun ride with lots of new faces.

Win the National Championship instead of not winning the National Championship.

I don't know if I would ever say that I "expect" any team in any sport to win a title. There are just way too many variables involved in any season to expect it. I might say that I consider a team to be the favorite (we are not the favorite but are slightly behind LSU according to oddsmakers). We definitely have the talent and have put ourselves in fantastic position to bring home the trophy.

I don’t know about the skill level compared to last year but I do hope to see a bit more humility and respect for the game this year. They way some of our players behaved on the field last year was embarrassing…and then we got truly embarrassed in post-season play. But that’s me, as I’m old school. Swagger and confidence is one thing, openly disrespecting and mocking other teams and their players is something else.

Reactions: VolPack22
LSU will be the favorite on paper. They are loaded. However, we have the horses to compete with them. SEC Baseball is the toughest conference of any sport out there imo so it will always be a grind. Sweeping all those series to start the conference slate last season and having the record we did was unheard of so I hope casual fans don’t expect that to be the norm. 40+ wins and making regionals should be the bare minimum expectation with this coaching staff in any given year. This program has come a long way in a very short amount of time. Just like Heupel said in football, “This is just the beginning.”

I hope everyone realizes what the last 12 months have been? All 3 major programs were ranked #1 at 1 point in the season!
Football
Baseball
Basketball

Imo elite pitching will keep us near top of country and SEC. I do wonder about our ability to put up some runs. On paper we have talented bats but lots of guys stepping up into larger roles.

Reactions: greasemachine
Imo elite pitching will keep us near top of country and SEC. I do wonder about our ability to put up some runs. On paper we have talented bats but lots of guys stepping up into larger roles.
I think people just need to relax about the offense. We picked up some great players in the transfer portal that will be key contributors. People want to focus on the pitching, rightfully so, but we will score plenty of runs. You don’t have to worry about that.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don't know if I would ever say that I "expect" any team in any sport to win a title. There are just way too many variables involved in any season to expect it. I might say that I consider a team to be the favorite (we are not the favorite but are slightly behind LSU according to oddsmakers). We definitely have the talent and have put ourselves in fantastic position to bring home the trophy.

I was sorta saying it tongue in cheek. Baseball, more than any other sport, requires some luck at the end. Just keep putting ourselves in position to be there at the end and we’ll eventually break through for one (or five 😉).

I don’t know about the skill level compared to last year but I do hope to see a bit more humility and respect for the game this year. They way some of our players behaved on the field last year was embarrassing…and then we got truly embarrassed in post-season play. But that’s me, as I’m old school. Swagger and confidence is one thing, openly disrespecting and mocking other teams and their players is something else.
We didn’t get embarrassed in postseason. We lost to a well coached mature team.

The 2023 team may not have the cast of characters of '22, but the talent is there. Pitching will be much better, coaches have learned some lessons, and the portal brought us some very nice talent. Maybe the record won't be better, maybe no bat flipping, no fur coat, no daddy hat, no 100-105.5 mph pitcher, but I do believe this team will get to Omaha.
I imagine there will be some antics. Seems to fit Tony’s coaching profile. Will assuredly attract the scorn of SEC contenders.

Reactions: taylorvol
It was a lot of fun the majority of the time. I can remember a couple of occasions where they crossed the line but most was all in good fun. Let the boys play.

VN Store

Back