What all is "finding their identity" about?

The season is over next weekend, better identify something or they wont have to worry long The SEC and NCAA tournaments will be one and done.

I read all the time about the "team hasn't found their identity " . What all do you guys think that involves? Is the answer simple or complex in your view? I'll hang up now.

Offensively I think it’s as simple as finding out the things your team does really well and scheming around those things. UT was a good running team last year, it’s just the passing game was so terrible that teams just stacked the box and made us throw it to win games. And you saw how that went.

Team identity can also be about toughness and the ability to not let mistakes compound and disrupt your game plan. Pruitt failed miserably at this last year because we were neither tough or able to overcome dumb mistakes.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
Some combination of:

-- identify the play-makers, offense, defense, and special teams .... the ones everyone can depend on, the strong, steady performers
-- identify the leaders ... may be different guys than the first group, those who all the others rally around and follow
-- identify the scheme and parts of the play book that work best ... fast, slow, grinding, lightning strikes, opportunistic, disciplined, whatever

This happens among the coaches, too, though the positions assigned dictate part of it. But still, all the same dynamics are happening among the coaching staff.

Put all that together, players and coaches, leaders and play-makers, stars and schemes and play preferences...and you have identity.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I read all the time about the "team hasn't found their identity " . What all do you guys think that involves? Is the answer simple or complex in your view? I'll hang up now.

It’s going to be a struggle, even for die hard Vol fans, but Vol fans are tough, calloused and resilient
Go Vols

They’re physically and mentally weak. I’ve never seen a group of guys literally stumble around more than these guys. Who is their strength coach? Maybe they’re over worked and don’t get enough rest and recovery. Or maybe they were just vastly overrated to begin with. Whatever the Schofield, Williams, and Bone team was, this team is just the opposite.

I am sure there are many facets to this concept. But one that is rarely spoken of, and is of key import, is to find a way for players to extricate their craniums from the depths of their rectums. Every team is going to have a few, it is inescapable. But I have come to believe that in most games, the team that wins is the one with the fewest heads up their asses. It's a theory at least.

They’re physically and mentally weak. I’ve never seen a group of guys literally stumble around more than these guys. Who is their strength coach? Maybe they’re over worked and don’t get enough rest and recovery. Or maybe they were just vastly overrated to begin with. Whatever the Schofield, Williams, and Bone team was, this team is just the opposite.
Those guys never quit.

Attachments

• Admiral Schofield dunks SECT 2019.jpg
    Admiral Schofield dunks SECT 2019.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 5
  • Grant Williams VFL 2019.jpg
    Grant Williams VFL 2019.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 5
Some combination of:

-- identify the play-makers, offense, defense, and special teams .... the ones everyone can depend on, the strong, steady performers
-- identify the leaders ... may be different guys than the first group, those who all the others rally around and follow
-- identify the scheme and parts of the play book that work best ... fast, slow, grinding, lightning strikes, opportunistic, disciplined, whatever

This happens among the coaches, too, though the positions assigned dictate part of it. But still, all the same dynamics are happening among the coaching staff.

Put all that together, players and coaches, leaders and play-makers, stars and schemes and play preferences...and you have identity.
As a follow-up...

Most teams aren't "struggling to find their identity." Every team has an identity. From the moment it first comes together, it has an identity. Which matures and sometimes shifts around as the members get to know one another better and start working well together. But there's always a group dynamic at play. All that stuff I listed earlier, it's there from the first day in some form, even if just based on reputations and first impressions.

What journalists really seem to mean when they say "this team is struggling to find its identity" is that the journalists are struggling to understand the team's identity.

Very simple. Similar to teaching a team how to win.

Are the players on the team willing to out work the competition?

At this level, what player doesn’t have thoughts of an NFL contract?

It’s no longer fun and games, it’s big business. Are individual players willing to sacrifice their free time to improve their skill set?

Time management:

There are 168 hours in a week.
56ish sleep
15 in class
15 out of class work to stay eligible

82 hours for diet, practice, weights and film.
No days off, no cheat days. All in to stay eligible and perfect their craft.

“Give all”, for Tennessee today started when the signed the line.

They can spread the good news and set a good example with their daily lives.

It is simple.
"team hasn't found their identity" is simply a cliché' used often by sports commentators and fanatics to show off their vast knowledge.
It means a team does not play with any level of consistency.
Cliché use generally signifies the user wishes to impress someone or desires to hide a limited vocabulary.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrangeShadeOfDoom
I though specifically “identifying” a person was forbidden these days.
🤪
GBO!!

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel

VN Store

Back