Westbrook's shot transformed thanks to work with Rick Barnes

No need for personal attacks, with the climate in the NCAA and America, with males abusing their authority.

I had no problems with the statement, paw pawing, (sometimes a relationship, courting, or friendship out of the ordinary too). Makes other wonders what is up.

Perfectly fine statement, no attack on Barners character, just a statement.

Do we think Barnes is a person of high character?

Yes, but we can go down the list of coaches or males who we thought had high character, and have abused their authority.

Let's hope that Barnes is a professional and let's focus on the fact, hopefully his help will pay off for Evina.

Westbrook shot the ball better from the outside.

Aye Rick can you help her with layups and chippies, aye the whole team lol

Look in the mirror and read aloud your Avatar!

That's all we can do is hope.

The point is you all stated your dislike for the posts/statement.

Let's move on, and focus on Rick helping Westbrook and see if we notice a difference in her shot and shooting percentage.

“That’s all we can do is hope.”

You really should stop at this point because it’s embarrassing. Do you know anything about Rick Barnes and his reputation?

What's embarrassing, is taking a statement/post and trying to make a big deal about it.

Like you're the character post police.

You told me. You told sisaq. You are a better person and better judge of character than us.

You win. Aye, back to lady vols basketball.

Thanks Rick for sharing your time with this young lady. And good job Westbrook seeking help.

What's embarrassing, is taking a statement/post and trying to make a big deal about it.

Like you're the character post police.

You told me. You told sisaq. You are a better person and better judge of character than us.

You win. Aye, back to lady vols basketball.

Thanks Rick for sharing your time with this young lady. And good job Westbrook seeking help.

This was all that needed to be said:

“Thanks Rick for sharing your time with this young lady. And good job Westbrook seeking help.”

Sisaq’s post suggested something sexual could be going on (which is absurd and disgusting his mind would even go there) and you piggybacked on it.

It was unnecessary and pretty idiotic if you know anything about Rick Barnes, which you obviously don’t.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Westbrook shooting percentage... 7-12, 1-1 from the 3!

Not bad, we need this against elite competition too.

Last edited:
Please Mr. Barnes take some time with Harris. She is much improved but needs to learn to go right back up to basket with ball on offensive rebound. Nothing fancy. No dribbling. No passing. Right back up!

It's wonderful that Barnes would make time to work with Westbrook. I don't know too many other men's coaches that would do that. Also kudos to CHW for being cool with it. Many coaches would allow pride to get in the way. I hope EW goes on to shoot 40% from 3 for the rest of her career. I hope she turns into the female version of Durant.

80% Free Throw
50% FG 2 (points)
40% Fg 3 (points)

Is that the shooting goal for most guards and wings?

Westbrook made her only three attempt. She was 5 of 8 on free throws needs more concentration was five of six then missed two late. Work on those layups had some easy ones but so did many other players on the team. Those layups and free throws are crucial when you play the top teams.

Her shot from the perimeter is better. Her layups still not effective and misses a lot of free throws. Needs to take what she learned from the perimeter to the free throw line. Lay ups is just player not keeping their head up and finishing the play to many just thrown at the basket.

Her shot from the perimeter is better. Her layups still not effective and misses a lot of free throws. Needs to take what she learned from the perimeter to the free throw line. Lay ups is just player not keeping their head up and finishing the play to many just thrown at the basket.

"take what she learned from the perimeter to the free throw line"

that is the very thing she shouldn't do...There are four distinct shot (Set shot, rhythm (Off the reception or dribble pickup), long range and body-in-motion shooting,,,,Each scenarios calls for different mechanics.

Your foul shot should never mirror your jumpshot.

Foulshots are about focus and muscle memory and/or mechanics. Both things have to be emphasized. Mechanics aside if focus is the problem, give them more focal points.

I teach my kids to use one of two focal points on foulshots (Fist on front of the rim and the back half diamond. . . If they are in a groove the half-diamond is the focus and if depth is the problem, shoot the ball over an imaginary fist on the front of the rim. Depth (shooting long or short) is most often focus or muscle memory issue...ball going left or right is a mechanics issue...First thing they have to do is analyze HOW she is missing and correct what's wrong.

That is why the 500 foul shots thing amuses me. If the mechanics aren't as emphasized as the act is,, all you are doing is making someone proficient with a bad shot (e.g..Reggie Miller)

Reactions: mcannon1

that is the very thing she shouldn't do...There are four distinct shot (Set shot, rhythm (Off the reception or dribble pickup), long range and body-in-motion shooting,,,,Each scenarios calls for different mechanics.

Foulshots are about focus and muscle memory and/or mechanics. Both things have to be emphasized. Mechanics aside if focus is the problem, give them more focal points.

I teach my kids to use one of two focal points on foulshots (Fist on front of the rim and the back half diamond. . . If they are in a groove the half-diamond is the focus and if depth is the problem, shoot the ball over an imaginary fist on the front of the rim. Depth (shooting long or short) is most often focus or muscle memory issue...ball going left or right is a mechanics issue...First thing they have to do is analyze HOW she is missing and correct what's wrong.

That is why the 500 foul shots thing amuses me. If the mechanics aren't as emphasized as the act is,, all you are doing is making someone proficient with a bad shot (e.g..Reggie Miller)

Wasn’t Reggie Miller a good shooter? So wouldn’t making them proficient like him be a good thing ?

Westbrook’s shot def looks improved. I wonder even her free throws don’t look to the side like they did last year but still a work in progress.

Wasn’t Reggie Miller a good shooter? So wouldn’t making them proficient like him be a good thing ?

Westbrook’s shot def looks improved. I wonder even her free throws don’t look to the side like they did last year but still a work in progress.
yes Reggie was a great shooter but his Mechanics were pitiful and his follow through was always gooseneck to the right instead of at the basket. He learned to be proficient at bad mechanics... the same for Shaquille O'Neal's foul shot. Although he never got very good at it if you study it his release was like the release of tossing a piece of paper and a wastebasket are throwing darts. Nobody took the time to teach either one of them when they were young

yes Reggie was a great shooter but his Mechanics were pitiful and his follow through was always gooseneck to the right instead of at the basket. He learned to be proficient at bad mechanics... the same for Shaquille O'Neal's foul shot. Although he never got very good at it if you study it his release was like the release of tossing a piece of paper and a wastebasket are throwing darts. Nobody took the time to teach either one of them when they were young

So while we want a beautiful shot that goes in I’ll take an ugly one that makes shots anyday! Lol

Well some of the technique is the same ball more in fingertips of the shooting hand more so than the palm for the release of the shot. Slight knee bend and push with the balls of the feet instead of flat footed. Doing it the proper way creates muscle memory and the wrong way 500 shots for nothing. I think letting you elbow fly creates the left or right misses. I wonder if we have someone on the staff that teaches the right technique that would be really valuable for all the girls not just throwing up 500 shots at the rim. Having your point guard shooting 60 percent is going to cost you a game or two sometime during the season. I had hope for big improvement form Westbrooks maybe it will still happen. 20 of 36 is a lot of points to leave in any game especially against a top opponent.

So while we want a beautiful shot that goes in I’ll take an ugly one that makes shots anyday! Lol

The trouble with bad mechanics isn't when you have an open look,,,it's when you are shooting without squaring up, moving, or off balance,,,That is when you need a beautiful shot. MJ shot with shoulder-elbow-hip all in a line. Whether from squared up or with degrees of difficulty,... Reggie didn't, He was a BASE shooter. He scored when he always squared up. He didn't shoot floaters, finger-rolls, fades and stepbacks.

You can't always square up and the conditions (defender, obstacles, body in motion, etc) are most often involved.
This is why I stress mechanics like I do...It gives your game more variance.

I am glad to hear she has taken the initiative to work extra to improve! And has the extra attention of Coach Barnes! Let's tell things we are thankful for!

Since we’re on Miss Westbrook. I’ll share my thoughts on improvements with the young lady. First, I will say she is my favorite Lady Vol on the team.

Glad she took the time to work on her game and her shot in the off season. It definitely looks more fluid. With the first few games so far, her free throw shooting is still not very good. We will need her to improve especially down the stretch in a close game. She has a great basketball IQ, is a terrific passer, and a great leader.
I will say she needs to improve her ball handling. Driving to her left and using her left hand as fluid as a point guard should be. I’ve noticed that last season and the beginning of this season.

obviously the transformation i not complete. mental , earlier this year KK went 0-6

obviously the transformation i not complete. mental , earlier this year KK went 0-6

Its so simple...depth mistakes are mental, off-line is mechanical
She was short-arming floaters and other shots, short too.
Its mental.

Find out what's on her mind, let her vent a little and solve the in-game problem.
If there is a true FT block, reinvent her FT completely.
Give me a week with her

VN Store

Back