Were any of you there for the 98 Arkansas game?

Section I Row 50 Seat 21

I went to 5 games that year

TN vs Houston
TN vs Alabama
TN vs UAB
TN vs. Arkansas
TN vs Kentucky

Yes. I was sitting by myself the last 5 mins because my sister and her future husband gave up hope and left the game. I still give them hell about it lol.

I was an engineering student from '94 to '00. The '98 Arkansas game was the only time I ever convinced my parents and 2 younger brothers to see a game in person. We sat about 5 rows down from the top of the stadium, just beneath the "O" in the old VOLS sign. Tickets got pricey after they stopped allowing students to share their tickets with friends and family. The cold rain was terrible. I knew my mom was physically miserable but enjoying the time with us. We all had orange plastic parkas but honestly, we were soaked by the end of the 1st quarter. Late in the 4th quarter, the game was obviously slipping away. I could tell my dad was thinking about getting back on the highway to beat the traffic out of Knoxville but he couldn't bring himself to say the words. My dad was always the reserved type; a retired Navy Corpsman. But I knew he had enjoyed himself up to that point. It had a been a long time since we'd all been together like this, and despite the circumstance, spirits were still high. We screamed our heads out for 3hrs, my dad included. We had great group of fans surrounding us that game. The undefeated season was hanging on by a thread. Then the turnover happened on our end of the stadium.

For the record, I attended every 90's Florida game, the Oregon hurricane game, the Cal blowout, etc. I don't know that I've ever heard Neyland that loud in my life. The sound of 107K? 109K? people letting everything out in unison. The shared joy between complete and utter strangers. Here I was a 21yr old student hugging some 50yr old guy 2 rows up that I'd never met. It was humanity at it's best. To this day, it's one of my favorite memories of my parents. Not long after that, I married my college sweetheart. (She's a Vol too.) I graduated. Got a job. Started a family. I didn't know it at the time but that was probably the last time I saw my dad through the eyes of a kid spending time with his old man.

I'll be the first to admit that these last 10-12yrs have been tough tough to stomach as a Vol fan but when I think about that Arkansas game from the perspective of being a father myself, with an 18 and 16 year old, it changes things. Yeah, I'd love to win every game. But when I acknowledge the true value of the time I'm spending with my wife and kids and that maybe one of them will have that Arkansas moment,... with me. A father could only hope.

Go Vols!

I’m 28 so I was 5 when this game happened, I remember watching it on tv, bits and pieces. Those of you who were there what was the vibe like in Neyland? I imagine people were leaving but turned around once the crowd roared bc of the fumble. For those of you who went im jealous!

We were there! Co worker was there too. She always left early at games. That one bit her in the butt! She claimed they were still in the concourse and saw it on the TVs but I have my doubts, lol.

watching-you-want-it.gif

I remember the cold rainy November game that saw us spot them 21 or something points. Having scalped tickets, my wife and I were sitting in the east side upper deck, unbeknownst landing in with the Arkansas crowd. It was miserable as they were smoking the back of my head and shoulders yelling Rocky Start huh Tennessee and junk. We finally left that section to go squeeze in elsewhere, and then started to leave the stadium as I was sure the game was over and that they’d just run out the clock. However the roar of the crowd got us running back up to the north section from gate 21 to see the cheese pound it every time on the final drive. I think Wilson pulled a hamstring and was not 100 % in the second half - think he blocked the field goal too, but I remember reading that the players said they could hear him above everything else screaming at them from the sidelines. Dude willed that team to victory, and his teammates were probably scared to death of not performing up to his standards. Glad to see him in the college football HOF. BTW, playing Sympathy to the Devil on his highlight reel today -😆😂 = priceless.

Last edited:
Section H. Was sick after Tee threw that last incompletion. When Stoerner fumbled, I swear that ball laid there for an eternity. After Henry scored, I had complete strangers hugging me

Cold and soaked, but ultimately worth it. Too bad some left and missed it

I was 15 and there with my Mom. We were about to leave when the fumble happened. The stadium roared to life. I almost took somebody's eye out behind me with my shaker. Good times. A memory I'll never forget.

I was there. No voice and ears ringing for days. 100

I heard good banter between Vol fans after Vols turned ball over on downs with 2 minutes left. Huge logjam on stairs of fans waiting to leave thru portal. A Vol fan in his seat hollers at fans on stairs “I hope we come back and you guys miss it!”. Pause. A fan on stairs hollers “So do I!” Another pause. Another fan on stairs hollers “I’m just going to pee!”. Pretty good entertainment during TV time out.

I noticed it just stopped raining. And then pandemonium rang.

I was there with season tickets. I am still angry that the refs messed up the ruling that give UT a safety instead of the ball in the red zone. Almost cost UT the game.

VN Store

Back