Well, D1 Baseball dropped us like a hot rock.

Teams still ranked well with similar (or worse) records and bad losses:
UGA - Losses to Santa Clara and GA Southern
L'ville - Losses to Wright State and Wake Forest
Vandy - Losses to Mich, Cal Poly, Hawaii, So Cal
ASU - Villanova, Mich
Duke - Army, Iowa
OK - Ill St, Mizzou
Ark - Ill St, South Bama
MissSt - Or St, Tx Sou
LSU - Indiana, Nicholls, EKU
Dallas Bap - UT Arl, Ark St

The Coach's poll dropped us down to 20th, which seems fair to me. We can't lose a series to a team like Wright State and not suffer some consequences, although as the post three places above indicate some teams get away with more "bad losses" than we are allowed. There is no doubt that bias exists in favor of some teams and against nontraditional up and coming teams like the Vols.

ASU - Villanova, Mich
Duke - Army, Iowa
OK - Ill St, Mizzou
Ark - Ill St, South Bama
MissSt - Or St, Tx Sou

I think I demonstrated last week that some teams get a lot of love from some polls although it's not warranted based on their on-field performance. It seems things haven't changed much from last week if at all. :rolleyes:

Reactions: feathersax and GVF
ASU - Villanova, Mich
Duke - Army, Iowa
OK - Ill St, Mizzou
Ark - Ill St, South Bama
MissSt - Or St, Tx Sou

You're putting too much stock into single games, baseball is about series wins. Tennessee has yet to win an actual series against a decent team. Midweek games are meaningless, junk time for younger guys and a chance to work your bullpen.

You're putting too much stock into single games, baseball is about series wins. Tennessee has yet to win an actual series against a decent team. Midweek games are meaningless, junk time for younger guys and a chance to work your bullpen.
you beat me to it

It’s about losing the series that matters

No. I also considered series wins. Only 12 of the Top 25 this week have even had a decent weekend series win or sweep against what most would consider upper talented teams. This is not a rant at rankings just because UT fell out. L'ville also dropped a game to Wright State. And L'ville midweek lineup should not even do that. But, based on other series match ups, my statement holds water. Especially around here cause it rains all the time. At this point in the season, many of those competitive weekend series just aren't on schedule. These are the teams and results from the top 25 that have had atleast one decent weekend matchup thus far. some of these 12 that won a decently matched series turned around and dropped games, or another series, that they should have won.

UF > Miami
UGA > GT
TxTech > FSU
Ole Miss > L'ville
ASU > CSF
Duke > FSU
UCF > Auburn
OK > UVA
LBS > Miss St
DBU > UNC
Clemson > So Car
UVA > NC St
The FSU ranking at 15 is totally absurd, as well as Vandy. An argument can be made for several others being unjustified at their ranking or even being ranked. It took them too long to get Michigan out of the rankings.

Reactions: feathersax
No. I also considered series wins. Only 12 of the Top 25 this week have even had a decent weekend series win or sweep against what most would consider upper talented teams. This is not a rant at rankings just because UT fell out. L'ville also dropped a game to Wright State. And L'ville midweek lineup should not even do that. But, based on other series match ups, my statement holds water. Especially around here cause it rains all the time. At this point in the season, many of those competitive weekend series just aren't on schedule. These are the teams and results from the top 25 that have had atleast one decent weekend matchup thus far. some of these 12 that won a decently matched series turned around and dropped games, or another series, that they should have won.

UF > Miami
UGA > GT
TxTech > FSU
Ole Miss > L'ville
ASU > CSF
Duke > FSU
UCF > Auburn
OK > UVA
LBS > Miss St
DBU > UNC
Clemson > So Car
UVA > NC St
The FSU ranking at 15 is totally absurd, as well as Vandy. An argument can be made for several others being unjustified at their ranking or even being ranked. It took them too long to get Michigan out of the rankings.

Look at the RPI's, Tennessee strength of schedule isn't strong enough to hold up to a blunder like Wright State
2020 College Baseball RPI (Live) | WarrenNolan.com

Tennessee has yet to play a competitive series and won't until they play South Carolina. SOS is awful

Reactions: ksgovols
Look at the RPI's, Tennessee strength of schedule isn't strong enough to hold up to a blunder like Wright State
2020 College Baseball RPI (Live) | WarrenNolan.com

Tennessee has yet to play a competitive series and won't until they play South Carolina. SOS is awful

OK. I get that when you look at the index of all the teams. But, serious question...since the bulk of the schedule is SEC games, how does their RPI and SOS pull so low. I'm looking at UCLA sitting atop the RPI at 1 and SOS at 2. The performance of their conference foes thus far is not terribly impressive. And though their NC games are stronger than UT, they've been 50/50 just looking at the results of the opponents they've had so far. And I certainly don't get Xavier having the #2 SOS. Or maybe I'm interpreting wrongly. I may need a little instruction on that table.

OK. I get that when you look at the index of all the teams. But, serious question...since the bulk of the schedule is SEC games, how does their RPI and SOS pull so low. I'm looking at UCLA sitting atop the RPI at 1 and SOS at 2. The performance of their conference foes thus far is not terribly impressive. And though their NC games are stronger than UT, they've been 50/50 just looking at the results of the opponents they've had so far. And I certainly don't get Xavier having the #2 SOS. Or maybe I'm interpreting wrongly. I may need a little instruction on that table.

SOS is only for games played so far

Reactions: feathersax
Ok. that makes a lot more sense. I thought they were all projections and adjusted as the season played out.

Our rpi and sos is going to be just fine. Not really worth worrying about it if we win games

Reactions: txbo
Our rpi and sos is going to be just fine. Not really worth worrying about it if we win games

That's always the best approach and what I tried to impart when I coached. Just win, and what we look like on paper won't mean a thing.

Reactions: BruinVol
So beating Texas Tech, Stanford and Houston in consecutive days doesn’t count?

VN Store

Back