Weird Facts About Famous Movies

With news of the upcoming Twins sequel, I remembered this fact: Arnold and Devito changed the game with their Twins contracts. They loved the script but the studio couldn't afford them. The actors' side proposed that they only take points at the box office and the studio agreed. The movie made over $200m+ at the box office off an $18m budget. Arnold made $40m (compare that to just $15m for T2 three years later).
I believe Nicholson did the same thing for Batman. Made a boatload.

Lol. Must have touch a sensitive spot.

It's a certain sort of derangement that can't allow people to just say "yeah, I love his art." Somehow it's a transaction where your enjoyment is clouded by your personal differences and it doesn't end there. Whether this is based on politics or lifestyle, your views are so important that you have to bring up this critique out of nowhere in the movies thread. All my life, I've been around people like this. It's like their position is: No matter what somebody accomplishes, they're either with us or against us, and that's always going to be the thing I bring up. Obviously, you didn't do all of this, I'm just saying this is generally what it is, and it's annoying.

It's a certain sort of derangement that can't allow people to just say "yeah, I love his art." Somehow it's a transaction where your enjoyment is clouded by your personal differences and it doesn't end there. Whether this is based on politics or lifestyle, your views are so important that you have to bring up this critique out of nowhere in the movies thread. All my life, I've been around people like this. It's like their position is: No matter what somebody accomplishes, they're either with us or against us, and that's always going to be the thing I bring up. Obviously, you didn't do all of this, I'm just saying this is generally what it is, and it's annoying.

Look, I didn't say I hated the guy or his acting. He's one of my favorite actors, I just said I wish he wasn't a leftist. I don't cancel people because I disagree with their views.

Lol..."I don't cancel people because I disagree with their views", yet makes it's a point to make sure everyone knows you don't like their politics when their politics had nothing to do with the conversation at all.

Reactions: firestorm
Bruce Willis got 14m up front for 6th Sense but also 17% of gross and, IIRC, a portion of video sales. Anyway after it was all said and done he made 100+ million.
That’s a haul. Good for him.

Nicholson took home $60M in I guess 1990? Not bad either.

Reactions: hndog609
Animal House was filmed at the University of Oregon...............

But Faber College was in Tennessee in the movie.

Although the film takes place in Pennsylvania, a Tennessee flag is shown in the courtroom. This is because the set decorator was unable to find a large enough Pennsylvania flag for the scene, and the blue Oregon state flag wouldn't work, because it had "State of Oregon" text on the upper part. So the set decorator used the most generic flag he could find, which turned out to be the Tennessee state flag.

National Lampoon's Animal House (1978) - Trivia - IMDb

In Love Actually, a poster of a boy band is vandalized to mock them. To us Americans, this was a fake band. In England, it was a real band that we never heard of because they fell from grace. They were UK stars but got canceled for saying something insensitive about 9/11 just before they were supposed to make their US debut.

This isn't really about a movie per se but involves movie characters (SIAP)

When Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, and Harry Shearer went on a 2001 Spinal Tap tour, they had The Folksmen open for them, which is also them as the fake folk music band best known in A Mighty Wind. This was before most were in on the joke and the audience booed them heavily and yelled for them to get off the stage, not realizing who they were.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Got another one similar to my post above involving Bill Murray, this time ... Harold Ramis (from Stripes and Ghostbusters) co-wrote "Animal House" with his buddies in mind for the Deltas: The role of Boon was written for Bill Murray, Otter was for Chevy Chase, D-Day was for Dan Aykroyd, Flounder was for John Candy and Bluto was for John Belushi... To the shock of both Ramis and Director John Landis, only Belushi agreed to do it and the rest of the Deltas were rounded out with virtual unknowns at the time.

Also, the longtime friendship of Bill Murray and Harold Ramis came to an end during the making of Groundhog Day over creative differences for the movie... Murray thought it would work better as more of a drama while Ramis insisted that it was a comedy. The two never worked together again and did not even speak for 21 years. Bill Murray did give a moving eulogy for Ramis at the Academy Awards, shortly after Ramis died, however.

The actor who played the coach of the Yankees in The Bad News Bears, Vic Morrow, got his head cut off by the rotor blade of a helicopter while making The Twilight Zone: The Movie in 1982.

That was a huge story and lawsuit involving John Landis...

Full circle...

One of my favorite movies is Place Beyond the Pines and I just learned a crazy thing about production.

Mendelson was supposed to be a neo-Nazi and Gosling and him were supposed to be these two psychos just trying to be the bigger badass of the two. They started production and everybody decided it sucked. The writer/director completely pivoted and made them likable and sincerely friends, and the result is amazing. One of the results is among the most memorable scenes in cinema history, and I've done this dance with my dog at least 10x in excitement (probably Vol-related on at least five occasions).

In the movie when Otter and Boon are hitting golf balls at Niedermeyer during the ROTC scene. The football stadium that looks like a high school field is actually Autzen Stadium .

VN Store

Back