Weekley’s built the program and now are destroying it...

I have been following the LV softball from before the Monica Abbott days. The Weekley's used to have consistently top recruiting classes but kept pursuing players that fit their "small" ball system. They used to have slappers with speed, good fielding teams, but not power. They also never had depth at the pitching position. They were the first team from the SEC and the east to make it to the World Series. Since then several SEC schools have played in and won National Titles. Even with top recruiting classes, they are consistently around the 4th - 6th best team in the SEC while Florida and Alabama have passed Tennesse by and have won the last 11 SEC titles between the two of them. In 20 years they have won only 2 championships, and 1 sec tourney. The Weekley's make a living beating up on the non conference teams early in the season and then produce slightly above 500% in conference. Always, during Regional, Super Regionals, or World Series, their bats seem to go silent and the pitching gets stressed and is just not good enough or deep enough to close out. For the past 15 years we have always hung our hats on LV Softball as the premier sports program at UT while the football, baseball, and LV basketball have been completely lost. Mens basketball has produced a little, but the softball team has been the consistent winner.
I think I understand the attraction of the Weakley's in recruiting these young girls. It is a unique combination that appeals to some young girls to be coached by a family.
The problem is they are like Fulmer, and are hall of fame coaches but are not going to win national titles at Tennessee. They are stubborn and set in their ways. The game has changed and passed them by. The other successful teams recruit different looking players. They are much bigger and have power games. They also have a dominant
pitcher and some depth. Ashley is the best pitcher we have had since the last World Series, but it is going to be hard to win a series going forward with the better teams and probably on the road. I believe the new AD needs to assess the Coaching Staff. They do not seem to develop talent, and I have very rarely seen a "magical" team like we currently are experiencing with the mens baseball team. I appreciate loyalty and the fact that they have built this program, but I have seen enough to know that the Weekley's have top 5 softball program in the SEC, but will not win SEC or National Titles going forward. If that's what the AD wants then fine, but if he wants to take it to the next level there is a risk. We saw this with Fulmer. I just do not see the motivation in the Weekley's to add to their legacy. The risk is to let them move on and try to get an up and comer who can take this program to the next level, or make a series of wrong hires like football to send the program into mediocrity.
I tell it like it is.

Anybody know what the contract situation is like for the Weekleys?

They’ve been to three straight super regionals, that’s the definition of a deep postseason run.

They were well on their way to missing the tournament last season. A program that consistently gets top recruiting classes that hasn't finished the season in OKC since 2015 isn't exactly something to hang your hat on. I'm sure you of all people know the goal each year is getting to OKC.

How surprising that you're shilling for the university per usual. Always cute when you do it under your alter ego. :rolleyes: It was fun when you carried water for Holly, too.

Is UT softball entitled to win a championship? You sound like a Bama football fan.

Nope. But considering the success of Coach Summit, would you or any LV fan be satisfied had she only made post season runs with zero nattys? How many chances do the Weeklys get? Pat was great because she produced nattys, not because she only made deep runs in post season. Can you explain how a team that was playing it’s softball games at a recreational park prior to 2000 has produced 4 nattys since, yet we can’t? Entitlement may be more appropriate for this coaching staff since they cannot produce a natty otherwise. What say you, genius?

Reactions: volnationnj
Because it wasn't meant to be us it's a thing called life.......I'm going to bring up a baseball coach for reference Mike Martin was as successful as they come but he never won a national title....sometimes it's not in the cards for certain things to happen in our lifetime

Sure.

Reactions: WizardofOz
Nope. But considering the success of Coach Summit, would you or any LV fan be satisfied had she only made post season runs with zero nattys? How many chances do the Weeklys get? Pat was great because she produced nattys, not because she only made deep runs in post season. Can you explain how a team that was playing it’s softball games at a recreational park prior to 2000 has produced 4 nattys since, yet we can’t? Entitlement may be more appropriate for this coaching staff since they cannot produce a natty otherwise. What say you, genius?

I'd rather my team be in the hunt year after year, than watching other teams in the hunt
if you can't see the merit in that, you might want to drop the coach from your name
A real coach can appreciate what Karen and Ralph have done

I'd rather my team be in the hunt year after year, than watching other teams in the hunt
if you can't see the merit in that, you might want to drop the coach from your name

They're keyboard warriors for a reason they don't have the guts to get out there and do what we as coaches/umpires/officials do if they did they would see a whole different side but it is what it is

What a shame. A slow slide caused by poor recruiting, one- pitcher mentality, not keeping up with the trends of the game.
Time to call a spade a spade before the softball program mirrors the basketball program.
I watch them when I can. They are ranked #17 and have perhaps one the best pitchers in the game. I don't understand the ins and outs of softball and the move towards power, mixing staffs, etc., but they seem to be very competitive. I went to UNC (despite being a UT fan) and we would be thrilled if our softball team was this good.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
That’s not much of a rebuttal Einstein. My post still holds up.

some of you guys need to lighten up. Everyone is entitled to an opinion without being called names just because their opinion differs from yours.

even if their basis is flawed, their opinion should be respected.

Fact is that the LV's are having a down year. Let's see how it plays out. Evaluate the coaches after the season. With a new AD, his evaluation hopefully will be objective.

some of you guys need to lighten up. Everyone is entitled to an opinion without being called names just because their opinion differs from yours.

even if their basis is flawed, their opinion should be respected.

Fact is that the LV's are having a down year. Let's see how it plays out. Evaluate the coaches after the season. With a new AD, his evaluation hopefully will be objective.
I think the people are Dissatisfied in the direction the program is headed after being a premier program for a long time. Especially when compared to many of the other sec programs. We seem to haven fallen behind many with little momentum going forward. Do we need a change in coaching? I don’t know but something needs to change before the softball program falls off even more. Hopefully the athletic director feels the same way.

There are some who post on this board who think they run it and want to stifle free speech if its negative and believe they know more about the LV programs than anyone else. If you post a negative comment you obviously never played or coached that sport and know nothing about it and are not a Vol fan, just a negative troll. Very shallow and tunnel versioned when you cannot see past your orange colored glasses. Friendly debating different opinions is what makes a good message board.

Last edited:

A team seeded last every year is in the hunt as well. Likelihood of winning it all is very low. Isn’t winning it all the goal of competitive sports in college?
Real coach, as in your all self promoting self?? 🤣

I watch them when I can. They are ranked #17 and have perhaps one the best pitchers in the game. I don't understand the ins and outs of softball and the move towards power, mixing staffs, etc., but they seem to be very competitive. I went to UNC (despite being a UT fan) and we would be thrilled if our softball team was this good.
I’m on the fence re: the Weekleys going forward, but if we have one of the top pitchers in the game, we should be having greater success and inside the top ten at the least.

We’re so very lucky to have the Weekly’s as our coaches. They built a national contender in a short time and consistently win 40+ games a year. I’m sure the trolls and Nega’s can’t stand them which is a good testimony to their success. Unfortunately, they are nearing retirement age and will move on in the not too distant future. This will be a great loss to the 99.9% of the fan base who actually knows something about softball.

This season is a culmination of many factors finally meeting each other in the end. Stated it many times before this weekend, that it has been a slow bleed/descend from the mountain top. Much like the second half of the LSU championship game in 2001 for the football team. My stance is and will always be that the Weekly's have earned the right to step away on their terms as long as we are in the hunt. Where did it go wrong. Here are my thoughts and let me say again before it gets taken the wrong way these are only my own thoughts after watching for years as a fan, talking with travel coaches I trust because of the program they run and kids they put in Power 5. We are not viewed nationally like we want to be perceived, is it too late only time will tell but time is not on the side of the contract being up next season.

1. recruiting tactics, while other programs emerged and changed. Marty was at the big tournaments, didn't see the Weekly's often enough or if any.
2. type of player they recruited, rankings over needs as FloSoftball and recruiting services ramped up
3. not developing relationships with top tier programs that emerged with the explosion of travel ball the last 10 years. One of the top programs nationally is in your backyard and not one 2021 kid, a team that has won nationals championships for years.
4. not winning the state in recruiting. For every out of state kid they get is one just as good/better. Win the state with 80% of the Top Tier kids each year and don't miss on the out of state ones when needed.
5. player development
6. Marty being shown the door was a sign that things are not good

The first change will be after the season with Ralph stepping away, now will Karen continue that is the word and expected.

VN Store

Back