Weekley’s built the program and now are destroying it...

You started a thread and have no idea what you're talking about hahaha.....sweet
you must be looking at a different set of results for the program than I am. Deep post season runs used to be the norm - - now late season slides are what we have come to expect.
You can’t hang your hat on Monica Abbott’s name forever.

Reactions: vettefool
you must be looking at a different set of results for the program than I am. Deep post season runs used to be the norm - - now late season slides are what we have come to expect.

You obviously don't even know the history of LV softball if you have to bring up Monica Abbott's name....The LV's have finished as one of the top 16 teams in the country for yearssssssssss have made it to the final 8 yes even after monica left.....have finished top 2....you guessed it even after Monica left....but you go on and hop on that soap box and tell us how bad the program is

You obviously don't even know the history of LV softball if you have to bring up Monica Abbott's name....The LV's have finished as one of the top 16 teams in the country for yearssssssssss have made it to the final 8 yes even after monica left.....have finished top 2....you guessed it even after Monica left....but you go on and hop on that soap box and tell us how bad the program is
giphy.gif

How about the last, say 5, years?

And how many of those “yearssssssss” ended with a natty?? Zero.

How about the last, say 5, years?

Since you want to be lazy i'll help you out this time
2016-finished 43-16 lost in regional-Only year haven't advanced to a super since supers started
2017- finished 48-12 lost in Super regionals
2018- 48-14 lost in Super regionals
2019- 43-17 lost in Super regionals
2020-season canceled

I have been following the LV softball from before the Monica Abbott days. The Weekley's used to have consistently top recruiting classes but kept pursuing players that fit their "small" ball system. They used to have slappers with speed, good fielding teams, but not power. They also never had depth at the pitching position. They were the first team from the SEC and the east to make it to the World Series. Since then several SEC schools have played in and won National Titles. Even with top recruiting classes, they are consistently around the 4th - 6th best team in the SEC while Florida and Alabama have passed Tennesse by and have won the last 11 SEC titles between the two of them. In 20 years they have won only 2 championships, and 1 sec tourney. The Weekley's make a living beating up on the non conference teams early in the season and then produce slightly above 500% in conference. Always, during Regional, Super Regionals, or World Series, their bats seem to go silent and the pitching gets stressed and is just not good enough or deep enough to close out. For the past 15 years we have always hung our hats on LV Softball as the premier sports program at UT while the football, baseball, and LV basketball have been completely lost. Mens basketball has produced a little, but the softball team has been the consistent winner.
I think I understand the attraction of the Weakley's in recruiting these young girls. It is a unique combination that appeals to some young girls to be coached by a family.
The problem is they are like Fulmer, and are hall of fame coaches but are not going to win national titles at Tennessee. They are stubborn and set in their ways. The game has changed and passed them by. The other successful teams recruit different looking players. They are much bigger and have power games. They also have a dominant
pitcher and some depth. Ashley is the best pitcher we have had since the last World Series, but it is going to be hard to win a series going forward with the better teams and probably on the road. I believe the new AD needs to assess the Coaching Staff. They do not seem to develop talent, and I have very rarely seen a "magical" team like we currently are experiencing with the mens baseball team. I appreciate loyalty and the fact that they have built this program, but I have seen enough to know that the Weekley's have top 5 softball program in the SEC, but will not win SEC or National Titles going forward. If that's what the AD wants then fine, but if he wants to take it to the next level there is a risk. We saw this with Fulmer. I just do not see the motivation in the Weekley's to add to their legacy. The risk is to let them move on and try to get an up and comer who can take this program to the next level, or make a series of wrong hires like football to send the program into mediocrity.
I tell it like it is.

Thanks. And why couldn’t we be one of those 4? We should have at least 1 if not 2 nattys. You’re the one that touted the “yearsssssss” of post season appearances. And all those yearssssssss have produced what?

Because it wasn't meant to be us it's a thing called life.......I'm going to bring up a baseball coach for reference Mike Martin was as successful as they come but he never won a national title....sometimes it's not in the cards for certain things to happen in our lifetime

Reactions: feathersax
I have been following the LV softball from before the Monica Abbott days. The Weekley's used to have consistently top recruiting classes but kept pursuing players that fit their "small" ball system. They used to have slappers with speed, good fielding teams, but not power. They also never had depth at the pitching position. They were the first team from the SEC and the east to make it to the World Series. Since then several SEC schools have played in and won National Titles. Even with top recruiting classes, they are consistently around the 4th - 6th best team in the SEC while Florida and Alabama have passed Tennesse by and have won the last 11 SEC titles between the two of them. In 20 years they have won only 2 championships, and 1 sec tourney. The Weekley's make a living beating up on the non conference teams early in the season and then produce slightly above 500% in conference. Always, during Regional, Super Regionals, or World Series, their bats seem to go silent and the pitching gets stressed and is just not good enough or deep enough to close out. For the past 15 years we have always hung our hats on LV Softball as the premier sports program at UT while the football, baseball, and LV basketball have been completely lost. Mens basketball has produced a little, but the softball team has been the consistent winner.
I think I understand the attraction of the Weakley's in recruiting these young girls. It is a unique combination that appeals to some young girls to be coached by a family.
The problem is they are like Fulmer, and are hall of fame coaches but are not going to win national titles at Tennessee. They are stubborn and set in their ways. The game has changed and passed them by. The other successful teams recruit different looking players. They are much bigger and have power games. They also have a dominant
pitcher and some depth. Ashley is the best pitcher we have had since the last World Series, but it is going to be hard to win a series going forward with the better teams and probably on the road. I believe the new AD needs to assess the Coaching Staff. They do not seem to develop talent, and I have very rarely seen a "magical" team like we currently are experiencing with the mens baseball team. I appreciate loyalty and the fact that they have built this program, but I have seen enough to know that the Weekley's have top 5 softball program in the SEC, but will not win SEC or National Titles going forward. If that's what the AD wants then fine, but if he wants to take it to the next level there is a risk. We saw this with Fulmer. I just do not see the motivation in the Weekley's to add to their legacy. The risk is to let them move on and try to get an up and comer who can take this program to the next level, or make a series of wrong hires like football to send the program into mediocrity.
I tell it like it is.
Agree 100%.

I tell it like it is.
My original post except longer.

We are a baseball school now and have a real coach! Besides, the Weekley’s look ready for retirement and it’s rather comical how much they resemble Holly Barnes and Fulmer!

Reactions: Smokey19rt

They’ve been to three straight super regionals, that’s the definition of a deep postseason run.

The LVs were really good before the Weekleys strived—they didn’t build the program. I don’t think they are destroying it either but they certainly didn’t build the program.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

VN Store

Back