Wedding Scam

We had a DJ for our wedding (included with the venue,) and he was upfront that all he does is create a playlist on Spotify based on what songs we send him and play what songs fit the moment.

This quote from the article is spot on:
“We absolutely know the DJ is just running a Spotify most of the time, but really we just want someone who will read the room and keep the vibe going,” a person commented.
I thought everybody knew, especially in the age of streaming, that DJs show up and just play a playlist. $4k does seem excessive, but you're paying them to travel, lug their equipment around and set it up, play songs the crowd likes, keep the energy level up (there actually does seem to be an art to that - if you misread the room and play the wrong song/wrong genre people start leaving), etc.

I thought everybody knew, especially in the age of streaming, that DJs show up and just play a playlist. $4k does seem excessive, but you're paying them to travel, lug their equipment around and set it up, play songs the crowd likes, keep the energy level up (there actually does seem to be an art to that - if you misread the room and play the wrong song/wrong genre people start leaving), etc.
$4K for a wedding DJ is outrageous, but so is most every other expense associated with a wedding

Reactions: 05_never_again
Why would you not? I'm not seeing how using spotify is the wrong way to do it.

Why would you not? I'm not seeing how using spotify is the wrong way to do it.

I think it’s the same logic as “why would I hire a photographer when my cousin has an iPhone?”

You’re not really paying someone just to hit play and stand there, a good DJ would create an personalized playlist with a variety of songs to fit the mood. Plus, the DJ is usually the one to keep the schedule on track.

But just standing there and hitting play is pretty bad if that’s literally all you’re doing.

Regardless, the majority of the wedding industry is a scam.

Reactions: walkenvol and MAD

The DJ is not the only person being overpaid or overcharging at these weddings, people. The entire thing is just a way to jack up prices.

I wonder how much the photographer cost?

VN Store

Back