Weak Leadership = Weak Team

I’m sorry, but watching this Turner / Bowden led team and I’ve come to realize these are just not natural leaders. Fine roll players, but they frequently shrink from the moment.

That was one of the worst offensive performances I’ve ever seen from a D-I basketball team. It’s going to be a really frustrating season unless James takes over and fills the void.

They’re not Alphas. They’re Betas. Especially Bowden. This is the entire reason he lost his starting job 2 years ago. Barnes said then that he didn’t know how to be aggressive when on the floor with Grant, Admiral, etc. and he was better coming off the bench. Only thing is, now he’s the clear cut #1 player and he still can’t take the reigns. At times he’s looked like an NBA player during his career. At other times, he looks like the low rated recruit he was out of HS.

Reactions: CA_Vol
There’s a real lack of understanding of what leadership means on a team in this thread.

I’ll give you guys a helpful hint but missing a few shots in a close game and losing one game doesn’t mean a damn think when it comes to what leadership means for a team.

Oh and Barnes said a week or so ago that Turner was one of the best leaders he’d ever been around.

So now we’re going to start questioning their leadership?

We had plenty of good looks and opportunities to make shots but it didn’t happen.

Barnes put them in a position to win but he’s not able to physically do their job for them.

So now we’re going to start questioning their leadership?

We had plenty of good looks and opportunities to make shots but it didn’t happen.

Barnes put them in a position to win but he’s not able to physically do their job for them.

Correct. Check this out: If we shoot a horrendous 33%, 25% from three, we win by double digits.

Reactions: StuckinBama
Pathetic,,,,trash.... some of you guys need to stop before you get started. Bunch of nonsense. Some of you need to refer to postings prior to the start of the season. You should be thankful we have outperformed so far. Try enjoying the players development as the season goes along. I mean look at JJJ game today. Kid just going to get more confidence as we go along and so is Gaines...so take a breather on the garbage and trash and try looking on the positive potential Barnes will bring out of these players. Try to enjoy the game of basketball
I agree with the aspect that we KNOW the team we saw today WILL NOT be the same looking team come tournament time. I hope we all knew this would probably happen to a certain degree. Memphis didn't play much if any better than we did but make one bucket to many. I think CRB referred to it post game and I agree 100% that two HUGE plays in the game was when Fulk got the ball ripped from him and laid in and the other was lost containment on the back side for the alley oop….and of course missing the front end of one and one with just a few seconds left in the game....

I agree with the aspect that we KNOW the team we saw today WILL NOT be the same looking team come tournament time. I hope we all knew this would probably happen to a certain degree. Memphis didn't play much if any better than we did but make one bucket to many. I think CRB referred to it post game and I agree 100% that two HUGE plays in the game was when Fulk got the ball ripped from him and laid in and the other was lost containment on the back side for the alley oop….and of course missing the front end of one and one with just a few seconds left in the game....

I agree. Also we were a little slow guarding on some of those 3's. I' hoping Pons doesn't do a disappearing act on the offensive side also. Pons going to have to keep stepping up his game with the big boys. Gaines needs to keep coming on. JJJ was leading scorer so I don't know why anyone is complaining about him. Johnson played all of 2 minutes. These kids are given the opportunity and placed in a position to succeed. Playing time is there for the taking if any of the kids want it. JJJ and Gaines are improving. JJJ could really produce as he continues to gain confidence.

Reactions: tennrich1
I believe the new point guard from Uruguay is going to make us a far better team. LT can go back to his sixth man spot and get some relief.

I believe the new point guard from Uruguay is going to make us a far better team. LT can go back to his sixth man spot and get some relief.

Turner won't be the 6th man. But he might be more effective on a wing with SV running the point. But he's a freshman. I don't expect to see Santiago to make a huge contribution for at least 2 months.

With Grant in this game it isn't close. We need a player to step up and be that leader. Is it possible? Probably not.

I agree. Also we were a little slow guarding on some of those 3's. I' hoping Pons doesn't do a disappearing act on the offensive side also. Pons going to have to keep stepping up his game with the big boys. Gaines needs to keep coming on. JJJ was leading scorer so I don't know why anyone is complaining about him. Johnson played all of 2 minutes. These kids are given the opportunity and placed in a position to succeed. Playing time is there for the taking if any of the kids want it. JJJ and Gaines are improving. JJJ could really produce as he continues to gain confidence.
Excellent points! One question....will Vescovi be ready to play the point at all when he's enrolled in January? His video looks like he may have the speed and shooting ability to help immediately but I didn't want to get any hopes up. I think he probably could have helped in Saturdays game...especially with the press which we should have scored multiple times on...

Man 1 loss to Memphis and the crazies come out...id rather have Turner and Bowden cold now then during SEC play. Bottom line

Turner is a leader and has shown grit for years. He simply isn’t good or talented enough as a primary offensive option and isn’t a pure PG who can get us into our half court offense. Bowden......definitely....decent player, but he doesn’t have it within him in big moments and big games historically. I think this year’s squad has a very small margin of error once league play starts. We need to re-define roles once we start SEC play.

Not sure how a PG averaging 7.1 assists a game isn't "pure"...you do realize his shoulder is hurt? Agree regarding Bowden - he has to do a lot more

We just have a 18-13 type team. I think we are .500% from here on out.

If Rick can squeeze 20 wins out of that bunch, he is Houdini

Turner is a leader. His shot is just way off. If he was even halfway on during the game, we win. Fix Turner and the season will be entertaining. The other scenario is not very pretty.

It is hard to fix a shoulder injury (after surgery) at this point, unless it heals on it's own.

As I said in another thread, I don't expect the coaches or players to use it as an excuse, but being right at the end of finals week probably had an affect on the shooting, but at least the effort was there. I wouldn't put too much stock in this one game. After all, we WERE playing the #13 team in the country, with a chip on their shoulder.

Reactions: spyfish007
It’s not exactly just one bad shooting night though, is it? I mean Bowden and Turner have been bad most of the season on the offensive end of the court. Bowden particularly. Turner had an incredible shot against VCU but outside of that it’s clear his shoulder is a huge issue.

It’s becoming a pattern. This team desperately needs them to wake up. It will be incredibly difficult to win 20 games if Bowden is non-existent each night.

FSU and Memphis are very similar teams, very athletic and tougher on defense but not really good shooting teams that is why we did not get blown out. Yes they both have to become more consistent but for this team to grow it is going to have to be a team. I am surprised to see Fulky and Pons growing into the leadership position. It should be Turner but not sure that is going to happen. Barnes is on him all the time which points to Turners importance. Love Bowden because he is a home town kid and I grew up watching his uncle at AE but he is a role player. I hope he can become a Jwayne Smith type player, he has the defense.

This team is WAY better defensively than I thought they’d be and way better than last year I think.

The issue i see is This isn’t just one bad shooting game for Turner. The sample size is large enough now to think he’s really hurt. He needs to sit it scale back on the attempts

Had not heard anything about being Turner being hurt. Is it the same injury from last year?

Not a problem w leadership. Has noting to do w leadership. It’s a matter of skill. Turner is better off ball. It is what it is
Agreed. Turner is having to do too much. Bowden looks like a player that is forcing it. Even that 3 he hit late in the game was a terrible decision. It just happened to go in.

Had not heard anything about being Turner being hurt. Is it the same injury from last year?

CRB mentioned this 2-3 wks ago...apparently he is having issues with the shoulder he had surgery on. It apparently has not been right all season and what is weird to me is that I see Turner playing hard (e.g., getting fouled, diving loose balls, etc...) but I never see him grimace or act like his shoulder is hurting - maybe it is a mobility and/or strength issue?

VN Store

Back