Weak Leadership = Weak Team

I’m sorry, but watching this Turner / Bowden led team and I’ve come to realize these are just not natural leaders. Fine roll players, but they frequently shrink from the moment.

That was one of the worst offensive performances I’ve ever seen from a D-I basketball team. It’s going to be a really frustrating season unless James takes over and fills the void.

Yeah Bowden needs to grow a sack and take over. He’s got the game, but he needs to get mean. I expected him to put on more muscle.

We just couldn't make open shots. Those guys included. I don't really think we played poorly otherwise. You just have to make a few shots and you win easily. The whole leadership thing is a reach. If your saying Turner or Bowden are not great players then I agree. I knew that coming into the season.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I didn't expect the world from this team this season anyways but we'll be much better next season so this one will grow into its new role slowly it appears...They need to find that magic...It's not like they are playing horrible but at times very bad...We got some good help on the way so I'm being patient and hoping this team does some good things this year and makes the NCAA's....P.S. Penny sucks
Now we have basketball team that matches the football team lol

I agree with Turner and Bowden living off GW and Admiral. However Turner is missing wide open 3 point shots and missing at the rim. Those have nothing to do with who is not on the team. They are shots he has made throughout his career. The injuries are just a bit much for him. I think we are looking at his last 3 months of BB. Let's see if he can find his groove again.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I’m sorry, but watching this Turner / Bowden led team and I’ve come to realize these are just not natural leaders. Fine roll players, but they frequently shrink from the moment.

That was one of the worst offensive performances I’ve ever seen from a D-I basketball team. It’s going to be a really frustrating season unless James takes over and fills the void.

I'm not sure if they're bad leaders, but neither are real versatile players. I've been blasted on here in the past for saying that a month ago.....Bowden is a terrific spot up shooter when his feet are set on mid range curls and open 3's.......Turner is short, shoots the ball from his hip like a junior high player......neither can create their own shot and this team will continue to struggle once we get into league play.

With this said, I hate to beat a dead horse here, but those that really understand basketball realize how big of a deal it was when Plavsic's appeal was denied. His size, depth, and physicality would be paramount in this team reaching its potential....Turner and Bowden would be alot better with him in the lineup....

Also, has anyone noticed Josiah cant dribble?

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLED
Wow one bad shooting game and everyone forgets how they they can light it up. Their shooting body position was off early in the game for some reason. Alot of new guys playing an a completely different type of team. They need some time to gel together and figure it out. This team is better than I thought they would be.

It’s not exactly just one bad shooting night though, is it? I mean Bowden and Turner have been bad most of the season on the offensive end of the court. Bowden particularly. Turner had an incredible shot against VCU but outside of that it’s clear his shoulder is a huge issue.

It’s becoming a pattern. This team desperately needs them to wake up. It will be incredibly difficult to win 20 games if Bowden is non-existent each night.

Reactions: VOLED
I mean Bowden and Turner have been bad most of the season on the offensive end of the court. Bowden particularly. It will be incredibly difficult to win 20 games if Bowden is non-existent each night.

I really wonder if posters watch one game and think that one games viewing makes them entitled to think that the one game means that those same players played that same way in all games.

Either that or they expect Bowden to be a 20pt game a night guy. He isn’t that and won’t be that. He’s averaging 39% from 3 and 13 pts a game. That’s damn good in my book.

I’d love to see Bowden be a 15-17 pt game a night guy but that isn’t going to happen because this team is about to become a team that plays a lot of the games in the 50s. And that’s ok because it clear that this teams strength is defense

Oh and by the way turner and Bowden are leading this team to being one of if not our best defensive team ever. Those two and this team is damn good on defense

If we can shoot a mere 40% from the field and 75% from the line with this defense we can win the next three. Today’s performance wont win many games.

Reactions: PowerWookie
I really wonder if posters watch one game and think that one games viewing makes them entitled to think that the one game means that those same players played that same way in all games.

Either that or they expect Bowden to be a 20pt game a night guy. He isn’t that and won’t be that. He’s averaging 39% from 3 and 13 pts a game. That’s damn good in my book.

I’d love to see Bowden be a 15-17 pt game a night guy but that isn’t going to happen because this team is about to become a team that plays a lot of the games in the 50s. And that’s ok because it clear that this teams strength is defense

Oh and by the way turner and Bowden are leading this team to being one of if not our best defensive team ever. Those two and this team is damn good on defense

Listen, I didn’t say Bowden isn’t incredibly talented and important to this team. But have you watched the last 4-5 games? You accuse me of only watching one game and basing my judgement off that but Bowden was NOWHERE tonight, against Florida State, or against VCU. His 13 PPG right now is skewed by his 27 point effort against Murray State early in the season. If you look at recent trends he has not been good.

It’s not being a nega-Vol to point out that as we get to the meat of our schedule and start playing tough competition night in and night out that Bowden has to be more consistent.

It’s frustrating that as a Tennessee fan on this board you can’t point out flaws without getting lambasted for not watching enough basketball. I think Rick Barnes would be the first to say that Bowden hasn’t been good lately.

Listen, I didn’t say Bowden isn’t incredibly talented and important to this team. But have you watched the last 4-5 games? You accuse me of only watching one game and basing my judgement off that but Bowden was NOWHERE tonight, against Florida State, or against VCU. His 13 PPG right now is skewed by his 27 point effort against Murray State early in the season. If you look at recent trends he has not been good.

It’s not being a nega-Vol to point out that as we get to the meat of our schedule and start playing tough competition night in and night out that Bowden has to be more consistent.

It’s frustrating that as a Tennessee fan on this board you can’t point out flaws without getting lambasted for not watching enough basketball. I think Rick Barnes would be the first to say that Bowden hasn’t been good lately.

You mentioned Bowden meaning non-existent every night and bad most of the year

Extremely dumb post.

Maybe you want to edit that and say some games he’s great others he’s not. If you do
That I’ll agree

Chill out they are still 7-2, and on pace to easily get in the big dance.

Turner is a leader and has shown grit for years. He simply isn’t good or talented enough as a primary offensive option and isn’t a pure PG who can get us into our half court offense. Bowden......definitely....decent player, but he doesn’t have it within him in big moments and big games historically. I think this year’s squad has a very small margin of error once league play starts. We need to re-define roles once we start SEC play.

No leadership problem for Vols...Memphis and FSU were far more athletic at every position...Turner and Bowden got their shots last year because their defenders had to help out in the lane vs. our NBA front court and these 2 were able to get their feet set on the 3-point line and await a kick out pass...Would like to see Bowden fake the 3 and then pull up at the elbow instead of getting himself smothered up deep in the lane...Turner will evolve into more of a distributor as JJJ and others mature into half-court threats...Not real sure how Vols stayed as close to Memphis and FSU as they did- only great effort kept them in it...Auburn, LSU and UK will bring more athletic rosters into conference play...If Vols are to finish above .500, frontcourt players must grow up and be dangerous enough that Bowden and Turner's defenders are needed to help out in the LANE and present some open 3-point opportunities for our seniors. GBO.

Chill out they are still 7-2, and on pace to easily get in the big dance.

Must disagree - I saw no shrinkage at all by our seniors...Others must continue to grow and force our opponents to guard all 5 Vols - not just the 2 outside threats. GBO.

Reactions: Slydell
I see the same moaners and whiners from the football forum haunt this one as well. If the team isn't undefeated, then the coaches/players are trash. You can't just offer criticism, it has to be personal attacks about the individuals directly. If the team doesn't gel by the end of January, then you guys can complain. Just leave the personal attacks to yourselves.

MMU!

Last edited:
Feel better getting that off your chest? I’m going to leave the spelling error just to bother you.
For

HOT Diggity, We found our arts of science major, @CladInOrange
“Hooked on phonics, worked for me”
We’re all glad you just got hired by grammarly.

Anywho’s,
As you were @CA_Vol, you nailed it.

Early on in the game, quickly became a gift of anopportunity to bag a big win in the eyes of the March committee, but not a senior could be found that wasn’t Jacking shots up out of their A. I was really proud to see Turner finally get on the score sheet with that sweet layup, only watch him get a tre’ buried in his face. ☔

They never quit though, and aside from guard play si james and fulky did work. Ponz my man.
#freethefreethrows
They’re free throws!

We’ll be fine, it was gut check time.
I still don’t like lil penny✊
#playingbasketball

Reactions: CA_Vol
It’s not exactly just one bad shooting night though, is it? I mean Bowden and Turner have been bad most of the season on the offensive end of the court. Bowden particularly. Turner had an incredible shot against VCU but outside of that it’s clear his shoulder is a huge issue.

It’s becoming a pattern. This team desperately needs them to wake up. It will be incredibly difficult to win 20 games if Bowden is non-existent each night.
Will be very difficult to win 20 if Turner can't finish the season. bowden is just being bowden(now n then on O) We need the Vescovi miracle to happen in January if Turner can't continue. He is probably as tough as Bradshaw but he didn't play much point.

Really only 2 of the starters are threats to knock down outside shots and one of those is struggling with a bad shoulder. Plus ON isn't much of a threat either. Pember or Gaines might need more minutes if Turner doesn't improve. JJJ at the PG with Bowden at one wing and Pember/Gaines at the other might be a good combination as the freshmen progress.

ok, another bad shooting night similar to Florida State...young team, missing Plav, need Velosic eligible, etc.,...season is not over yet...Bowden and Turner will have some good days...it just wasn't yesterday...but as always...

GO BIG ORANGE!

VN Store

Back