Weak Leadership = Weak Team

CA_Vol

I’m sorry, but watching this Turner / Bowden led team and I’ve come to realize these are just not natural leaders. Fine roll players, but they frequently shrink from the moment.

That was one of the worst offensive performances I’ve ever seen from a D-I basketball team. It’s going to be a really frustrating season unless James takes over and fills the void.

I’m sorry, but watching this Turner / Bowden led team and I’ve come to realize these are just not natural leaders. Fine roll players, but they frequently shrink from the moment.

That was one of the worst offensive performances I’ve ever seen from a D-I basketball team. It’s going to be a really frustrating season unless James takes over and fills the void.
agree on your points except weren’t you around for the ONeill era? That was worst offensive performances Ever lol

Role**

Reactions: Slydell and KBVol

I don't think these guys are intentionally weak leaders, I just think they don't have what it takes.

It happens. We lost our best players to the NBA/graduation. This team lacks scorers but plays hard. Nobody expected Turmer to play this poorly so James will need to grow up quickly.

I was concerned in the off season w lack of bigs but now fear our guard play may be a bigger problem.

Turner is a leader and has shown grit for years. He simply isn’t good or talented enough as a primary offensive option and isn’t a pure PG who can get us into our half court offense. Bowden......definitely....decent player, but he doesn’t have it within him in big moments and big games historically. I think this year’s squad has a very small margin of error once league play starts. We need to re-define roles once we start SEC play.

I don't think these guys are intentionally weak leaders, I just think they don't have what it takes.

Agree. They all want to win and play well. Someone will emerge as a leader later in the season. The others look up to Turner but his game is bad rt now. Turner will get it going unless he’s injured.

We need to re-define roles once we start SEC play.
I think JJJ has figured out that Bowden and Turner can’t carry this team. I expect JJJ to continually be more aggressive in carrying this team. Also, I expect JJJ to be the true leader by the middle of the SEC schedule with JB and LT as figureheads.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying it to disparage them. They just aren’t “leader” personalities on the court.

Pathetic,,,,trash.... some of you guys need to stop before you get started. Bunch of nonsense. Some of you need to refer to postings prior to the start of the season. You should be thankful we have outperformed so far. Try enjoying the players development as the season goes along. I mean look at JJJ game today. Kid just going to get more confidence as we go along and so is Gaines...so take a breather on the garbage and trash and try looking on the positive potential Barnes will bring out of these players. Try to enjoy the game of basketball

Wow, y'all overreact much? We lost four starters. Turner is playing out of position at PG and his nagging shoulder issues are clearly affecting his shot. Bowden's confidence seems shattered. Memphis is loaded with talent, yet we still nearly beat them despite shooting 25% for the game. We played great defense. Fulkerson played his heart out. 20ish wins and a 7/8 seed in the Dance is about the ceiling for the Vols; Memphis, once they get Wiseman, could go to the Elite 8 or beyond. Let's not push the panic button just yet.

James acts like he doesnt even wanna be out there when it matters. Fulky diving everywhere and James wont even break a sweat out there.

Reactions: orangemadam
Turner is a leader. His shot is just way off. If he was even halfway on during the game, we win. Fix Turner and the season will be entertaining. The other scenario is not very pretty.

James acts like he doesnt even wanna be out there when it matters. Fulky diving everywhere and James wont even break a sweat out there.
Fair enough, but James is a freshman. Folkerson is an upperclassmen, but weak. Can’t finish around the rim and loses so many 50/50 ball because of it.

VN Store

Back