We will find out Tuesday!

When OSU takes out MICHIGAN the Illinois style points will give the edge to the Vols
When TCU loses in the Big 12 Championship game the Baylor margin will work for us

Dave Aranda and Illinois coach Brett Belimia are the jokes for being conservative and giving them the ball back with all that time. In today’s college football you can’t do that and expect to survive, ask Alabama.
Yep. Can’t sit back anymore and hope the defense holds. If you get a chance to close somebody out, you have to be aggressive. Offenses are too good and you also take the chance that the officials get involved like that PI called against Illinois in the last drive. Probably was a correct call but it’s moot if Illinois can just get a first down. Same with Baylor. Conservative play calling and prevent defense prior to that. Recipe for disaster and we saw it.

I hope this game tonight isn’t close. With all the talk about other teams losing and assuming we just roll, I’m starting to worry. If South Carolina keeps it close and blocks I’ll have a stroke.

Reactions: Raebo
When OSU takes out MICHIGAN the Illinois style points will give the edge to the Vols
When TCU loses in the Big 12 Championship game the Baylor margin will work for us
If TCU loses to KState, Baylor margin won’t matter. They will be out of the picture. Same if USC loses tonight or in the PAC 12 title game. They’ll be gone too.

Lots of people are setting themselves up for disappointment. We lost, and in the process, we put our fate in the hands of other teams. I think we have a very good shot at getting in, but if we don’t, it’s nobody’s fault but our own.

Having said that, even if we don’t make the CFP, it has been a special year and going 12-1 puts us in great spot for next year. The higher the preseason rank, the more benefit we will get in the CFP.

NOWHERE in any of my posts have I ever said that I THINK they deserve to be in over UT. I said that they will get in over UT in my opinion. Let's hope it doesn't come down to them needing to make that call. I can't 100% guarantee anything about the CFB playoff except they won't take 3 SEC teams. There's no way no matter what happens that will happen. The committee wouldn't let it. I'm a realist that pays attention to the national media and have been around the block a time or two. They will justify a way to include USC in the 4 team playoff over us if it comes down to it in my opinion. There's a 95% chance they'd get in over us. And I would give Clemson at 1 loss about a 60% chance to get in over us. A 1 loss UNC may be more like 50/50 but I wouldn't want that to be on the table either. Or a 1 loss OSU that gets beaten by a field goal by Michigan. You can't trust the committee to make a decision that would put UT in the playoff.

The best way around that is for TCU to trip up and lose one of their last two games AND either USC going down or Clemson/UNC to be the ACC Champ with 2 losses. And just hope that UGA doesn't lose to LSU in the SEC Championship. Because then you are depending on the committee to not jump LSU over UT because they beat UGA and won the SECCG. A lot of landmines to navigate. I'm glad you aren't concerned though and can be 100% sure they are in the CFB playoff if they go 11-1. Weren't you the one that was also sure that TCU wouldn't pass UT in the playoff rankings?

Tennessee going 11-1 will be the 3 seed so the committee can avoid an all SEC semifinal 1 v 4…. The only way that changes is if Georgia somehow loses in Atlanta and we fall to #4 so it would be 2v3 all SEC semi.

Keep on clown boy worrying and losing sleep about Tennessee missing the playoff. We are a lock.

They're not going to drop for winning...

We will be 4 after OH St and Michigan play

I think USC will leapfrog TN if they beat two consecutive ranked teams: UCLA and Notre Dame. If not, they will after winning the Pac 12 championship over a ranked team

Lots of people are setting themselves up for disappointment. We lost, and in the process, we put our fate in the hands of other teams. I think we have a very good shot at getting in, but if we don’t, it’s nobody’s fault but our own.

Having said that, even if we don’t make the CFP, it has been a special year and going 12-1 puts us in great spot for next year. The higher the preseason rank, the more benefit we will get in the CFP.
That's why it sucks that they didn't get beat today and put us back in control of our destiny.

Reactions: vol94
Dave Aranda and Illinois coach Brett Belimia are the jokes for being conservative and giving them the ball back with all that time. In today’s college football you can’t do that and expect to survive, ask Alabama.

Gave you a like. I posted something similar in another thread. Ridiculous coaching.

Reactions: tennesseepride84
Tennessee going 11-1 will be the 3 seed so the committee can avoid an all SEC semifinal 1 v 4…. The only way that changes is if Georgia somehow loses in Atlanta and we fall to #4 so it would be 2v3 all SEC semi.

Keep on clown boy worrying and losing sleep about Tennessee missing the playoff. We are a lock.

I'm definitely not losing sleep over it lol. So many years of anguish has desensitized me from most of it. I've got a pretty good job and work for myself, have 3 kids to entertain, and other interests. Discussions is what the forum is supposed to be about. Not everything is black and white and I just feel really strongly that anyone that thinks UT is guaranteed into the CFB playoff by winning out could "potentially" be setting themselves up for a huge letdown. But if you calling me a clown makes you feel better - you do you.

I'm definitely not losing sleep over it lol. So many years of anguish has desensitized me from most of it. I've got a pretty good job and work for myself, have 3 kids to entertain, and other interests. Discussions is what the forum is supposed to be about. Not everything is black and white and I just feel really strongly that anyone that thinks UT is guaranteed into the CFB playoff by winning out could "potentially" be setting themselves up for a huge letdown. But if you calling me a clown makes you feel better - you do you.

Are you a writer? You type novels for some reason….

That's why it sucks that they didn't get beat today and put us back in control of our destiny.

I think KState will beat them and I think USC will drop at least one.

What I worry about is that everybody seems to be falling for UNC at the moment and if they were to roll over Clemson in the ACC championship, there would be some push to get them in.

Are you a writer? You type novels for some reason….

Actually I have been published for articles I have written in the past and have written and reported news and sports stories. I've been in broadcasting for almost 25 years as a side gig and do some writing as a side gig as well from time-to-time. But I work full-time in real estate in Northeast TN.

I will never, ever understand how you can get ultra-conservative when the other team only needs a FG to beat you, and essentially take three knees and give the ball back the way Aranda and Beilema did today. Your team has left its guts on the field, and you roll over and play 'prevent offense'?

Especially Baylor. Never expected Illinois to win, but Baylor is a decent team playing at home and has outplayed TCU all afternoon. Aranda needs to tell his offense there "we're getting a first down and closing this out", but instead says "don't make a mistake and maybe we can get lucky again like the 2-pt. conversion drop". Inexcusable.

Reactions: tennesseepride84
I think KState will beat them and I think USC will drop at least one.

What I worry about is that everybody seems to be falling for UNC at the moment and if they were to roll over Clemson in the ACC championship, there would be some push to get them in.
Not as long as we win they have a weak schedule and a bad loss I would rather TCU loose in the regular season. I think we still take Michigan's spot. We just handle business.

After how bad Michigan played today, I don’t think Michigan even has to lose big. If USC losses, we are in no matter what. That’s the biggest battle.
Uh no, but right now I would have Georgia, Ohio St, Tennessee and a 4th team of whoever if it actually went off resume
Why OSU over TCU? OSU has wins over two top 25 (at the time they played) in ND and Penn St. TCU has five over OK, KS, OkSU, KSU and TX.

VN Store

Back