We will be back. VFL.

TennesseeVol2009

We’ve had quite a ride Vol brethren.

Me—I never got to witness the true heights of Tennessee football. I came to Knoxville in 2006 as a transfer after I unsuccessfully tried to Rudy my way into the University of Michigan.

I grew up being a Big Ten fan. I was born in Flint, Michigan and grew up in the NYC metropolitan area, so I always loved college football, and Michigan was a connection to my family in the Midwest that I didn’t get to see too often. So I ended up trying to get in to school there, and, well I didn’t. Tennessee was there for me when I got my 3rd and final rejection from UM. The same batch of mail had my admission letter, and while I was having my heart broken reading the rejection from the Univ of Michigan, the Univ of Tennessee acceptance letter was there at the bottom of the pile to soften the blow. Transferred to Tennessee, and honestly it was the best decision that ever happened to me.

The University of Tennessee was a very special place for me. It was a place that I always felt home. When life chewed me up and spit me out, it’s where I mended my wounds—recalibrated, dusted myself off—and got up for round 2. When I hit the lows, Tennessee football gave me something to keep my mind off of how bad other things were. I frequented the message boards and read about recruiting, and just the camaraderie of being part of my Alma mater via the message boards was a tremendous positive when things weren’t going perfect.

I believe in the University of Tennessee. I believe in our tradition. In our colors. I believe in our songs. I believe in our campus. The University of Tennessee is a special place, and we’re not going away forever. Listening to the crowd tonight gave me pride. And I know things are rough, but they’ll get better. We have too much history and fan support to stay down forever. We will find a way to break through and reclaim our rightful place in the college football world.

I will always stand by the University of Tennessee. I will give my all as an alumnus of the University of Tennessee.

I’ll still wear my orange with pride despite living in NYC. I’ll say “Go Vols!” Every time I see someone wearing Tennessee gear here. I’m not going anywhere. I’m a Vol for Life.

Go Vols!

a4098a5da51e5094810db41e539fde33.jpeg

Last edited:
I love the University, too. I attended for one year before I re-applied to West Point (it took me two tries to get in). I grew up a Tennessee fan from my earliest days living near Chattanooga.

Ever since 2004, I've made it a tradition to take a trip to Knoxville for a game every year when I wasn't deployed overseas. I usually meet up with my best friend from college who lives in South Carolina, and we drive over for a game. It's usually been the highlight of my year.

But this year, I cancelled the trip -- we're going to meet up and go do something else. Driving all the way down from DC to watch bad football isn't worth it.

I have no answers for what is going on with the program. Looking at it from the outside, there is clearly something rotten to the core within the team and the football program as a whole. Cultures create habits (and vice versa). Losing is our habit. As is under-performing.

Last night, we made a freshman QB opponent who should have been shell-shocked by the pressure and situation look like a seasoned veteran. We helped cool the seat of an opposiing coach who was on the hot seat. Want your team to get back on track? . . . Just schedule Tennessee. We'll help you get the ship back on course!

Reactions: LargeOrange1
I COMMEND OUR TEAM FOR THEIR EFFORT. MUCH MORE EVIDENT THAN LAST WEEK.

dang skippy...but, we have to learn to play the whole game and not have mental let downs at the most critical times...but, as always...

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back