We Smell, But Maybe We don't Stink

Trying to take that much away from a spring game is a big, big mistake. There are lots of things going on. Coaches are trying to look at guys situationally. They're trying different combos. They're trying borderline parts of the playbook. They're challenging guys. They're setting guys up to have success while others are being set up to "fail" to see how both react.

I hope West is good enough to have 5 sacks in a game. But I strongly suspect he was playing against an OL combo or situation that favored him. Playing "tag" with the QB is also a pretty big advantage for the D.

Again, trying to draw too much out of a scrimmage is a mistake. Ainge's Jr spring game still stands out in my mind. He was awful the year before... then he was awful in the spring game. Crompton otoh looked good. We just didn't know that they were being challenged at different levels. The next time we saw Ainge he lit a ranked Cal team up.

It seems we have:

Good / chance to be great QB
Suspect Oline
Suspect RBs
Good / chance to be great WR group

Heupel is great at coaching offense . . . But the season on the O side of the ball will go as the Oline goes (per usual)

On defense . . . We are bad to very average until proven otherwise.

Reactions: vettefool
Yeah I don’t think I would put any stock into this article.
It would be nice if folks starting threads based on a Caleb Calhoun article would say so in the thread title. Give those of us who know how bad he is a chance to just pass on by without even clicking. Because the sooner this fella learns he's not cut out for sports writing, the better off we all are.

It seems we have:

Suspect Oline
Suspect RBs

Heupel is great at coaching offense . . . But the season on the O side of the ball will go as the Oline goes (per usual)

Don't go by the article's implications. Our rbs should be fine. Our OL should be same as last year, if not better. D is unknown, but it has been tweaked with positive additions.

Trying to take that much away from a spring game is a big, big mistake. There are lots of things going on. Coaches are trying to look at guys situationally. They're trying different combos. They're trying borderline parts of the playbook. They're challenging guys. They're setting guys up to have success while others are being set up to "fail" to see how both react.

I hope West is good enough to have 5 sacks in a game. But I strongly suspect he was playing against an OL combo or situation that favored him. Playing "tag" with the QB is also a pretty big advantage for the D.

Again, trying to draw too much out of a scrimmage is a mistake. Ainge's Jr spring game still stands out in my mind. He was awful the year before... then he was awful in the spring game. Crompton otoh looked good. We just didn't know that they were being challenged at different levels. The next time we saw Ainge he lit a ranked Cal team up.

I feel like this doesn’t get considered a lot of times in spring games or practices that people watch. Good coaches do this at times to see how their players react and to push them.

Reactions: SAPPER 5 and sjt18
It seems we have:

Suspect Oline
Suspect RBs

I’d consider our offensive line to be in the “good” category. Especially with another year of conditioning.

Sobering facts about Tennessee Football:

1. No 10 win season since 2007
2. No Division Championship since 2007
3. No AP Top 10 Final Ranking since 2001
4. No Victory over Alabama since 2006
5. 1 Victory over Florida since 2004
6. No Top Bowl Appearance (BCS) since 1999
7. 3-10 against Georgia since Fulmer left

Let's get this behind us with Heupel.

Sobering facts about Tennessee Football:

1. No 10 win season since 2007
2. No Division Championship since 2007