We need some good news

I want to see how the S&C coach develops AJ athletically. That's where we may see the most improvement from AJ. He's already strong as a bull.

I hear ya.

If he can run at all enough to play every down at MLB, I want him there. Having an absolute brick wall with good lateral quickness is what can allow versatility elsewhere.

Check the Justin Meredith and Denico Autry thread for some good info. Denico is supposedly going public with his decision soon and Justin Meredith may give some good news after his OV.

Thanks for this tidbit... I did not catch it!

We need to keep bringing "good news" and solid discussion to this thread! The shining light of Vol Nation! :)

Do you know who is sick?? The Upshaw guy from Alabama... Guy is unbelievable... Pretty hefty as a LB, but he is a play maker.

Yes. Dude is a beast. 270 pounds or so, too.

I'd like to see Jac, or someone, be able to play like that. Standing up or down in his stance.

dont be shocked if aj is playing at de next year.

I love the idea of this. Its becoming obvious our lb core is gonna be one of the teams strengths next year. If you have the depth and talent to make the move, why not? If J. Smith doesnt step it up, we have to find someone. I came into the year with high expectations for the young man, it just seems he takes some plays off or there is something we dont know about.

I hear ya.

If he can run at all enough to play every down at MLB, I want him there. Having an absolute brick wall with good lateral quickness is what can allow versatility elsewhere.

We're getting enough LBs where he won't have to play all 3 downs. Guys like Otha Peters and Maggitt can be the Nickel backers in the future. I do want to see Maggitt opposite Autry in passing situations though. With Sentimore and any combo of Jacobs, Couch, or Corey Miller at DT. That should give us a nice push. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Jordan Williams develops into. He's a really good sized freshman.

I want us to be able to actually attack and put fear into an opponent on an obvious passing down. This starts with getting them to 3rd and 7+ yards, obviously. I want the other quarterback to know, very personally and very uncomfortably, who he just played against.

Reactions: 1 person
If we really do land Sentimore, Jacobs, Autry... all three as EEs... possibilities of different defensive sets are entirely in play, I think. Especially if someone like Santos or Otha Peters makes such an impression on the staff like Maggitt and AJ did.

Couch, Sentimore, Jacobs, Autry being the key cogs of a 3 man d line seems feasible.

Someone may be able to shed more light on this than I can...

Your putting the right pieces in the wrong puzzle. Couch, Jacobs, and Autry are all true 4-3 d lineman with Sentimore being a 3-4 d lineman but he can fit in at the 3 technique in our 4-3 scheme

Explain the difference, please.

Not being a dick, just picking your brain some as to why those guys couldn't play in a 3-4...

Sentimore is really a 4-3 DE. Every Bama fan I've talked to has said he was one of their top 3 pass rushers on the team. He's a very good strongside end for the 4-3. He can hold the point of attack and he can rush the passer. Plus he's SEC proven already. Sentimore was headed towards major PT this year in Bama's D.

Skeeter, do you know why Jac has been less than stellar this year? Is the foot bothering him or is it just youth or something else?

Oh, I know. And just from chatter on here, it seems like he could have a great impact if we can land him. But, in a 3-4 scheme, especially on possibly an obvious passing down, he can still make noise, disrupt, and get to the quarterback.

I do get what you mean, though, in that he and Autry both could be more effect on the edge of a 4-3.

I guess I was thinking more in terms of a 3-4 with Curt or others blitzing, as well.

Oh, I know. And just from chatter on here, it seems like he could have a great impact if we can land him. But, in a 3-4 scheme, especially on possibly an obvious passing down, he can still make noise, disrupt, and get to the quarterback.

I do get what you mean, though, in that he and Autry both could be more effect on the edge of a 4-3.

I guess I was thinking more in terms of a 3-4 with Curt or others blitzing, as well.

I'm thinking line Maggitt and Autry up at End. Then put Sentimore in the Malik position of playmaking DT. And Corey Miller at the other DT spot. Which would give us a real speedy front for third downs. Linemen would catch hell dealing with athletes like that in a passing situation.

I like that. I think Couch and Jacobs still have a chance to be every down DTs, not just big run stopping guys. Couch could make some noise getting to the passer if he is able to do all out for that on 3rd downs.

Explain the difference, please.

Not being a dick, just picking your brain some as to why those guys couldn't play in a 3-4...

Its all good. A 3-4 defense is a formation that tends to sacrifices some size (of dlinemen) for speed (of linebackers), but coaches choosing to utilize this formation as their base defense typically choose larger players in the front 7 to make up for the shortage of size. Linemen in 3–4 schemes tend to be larger than their 4–3 counterparts to take up more space and guard more territory along the defensive front. 3–4 defensive ends were usually defensive tackles when entering at first. They must be strong at the point of attack and are aligned in most cases head-up on an offensive tackle. First and foremost, they must control run gaps. Size and strength become more of a factor for linemen in 3–4 defenses than in 4–3 defenses because they move primarily within the confines of line play and seldom are in space using athletic ability. Ideally 3–4 DEs should weigh 285–300 pounds and be able to beat double teams by getting a push. The ideal nose tackle has to be much bigger than DT's that play in a 4-3 scheme, weighing around 330 pounds or more. So this pretty much disqualifies Autry, Jacobs could possibly play DE in a 3-4 scheme but his athleticism makes his skill set more suitable for a 4-3 scheme, Couch would be another possibility but he is more of a playmaker so he is better suited for a 4-3 because at times he is trying to make the play much rather than just clogging a hole for the lbs to make, and Sentimore played for Bammer one year so he has some experience in a 3-4 but what makes him appealing to us is also his versatility to be able to collapese the pocket from outside at DE while still being able to jump inside to DT and make plays

I like that. I think Couch and Jacobs still have a chance to be every down DTs, not just big run stopping guys. Couch could make some noise getting to the passer if he is able to do all out for that on 3rd downs.

Trying to give Miller a role on d. I think that would allow us to keep Couch fresh. Also J.Williams would allow us to keep Sentimore fresh too. He was getting some penetration in last night's game. Tyler Wilson was just getting rid of the ball on time to some veteran WRs.

why does everyone make a big deal about the 3-4 and 4-3. Yes some people fit better than others in their respective schemes. Either one you use it is still a 7 man front. For instance, a nose in a 3-4 is still effective in a 4-3 by being used as a 1 technique, 3-4 ends typically used as a 3 technique. The only reason we are using a 3-4 now because of depth issues, and it allows us to get more athletes on the field. If we get the d line prospects we are pursuing it wouldnt surprise me to see us back in the 4-3 exclusivley next season.

Its all good. A 3-4 defense is a formation that tends to sacrifices some size (of dlinemen) for speed (of linebackers), but coaches choosing to utilize this formation as their base defense typically choose larger players in the front 7 to make up for the shortage of size. Linemen in 3–4 schemes tend to be larger than their 4–3 counterparts to take up more space and guard more territory along the defensive front. 3–4 defensive ends were usually defensive tackles when entering at first. They must be strong at the point of attack and are aligned in most cases head-up on an offensive tackle. First and foremost, they must control run gaps. Size and strength become more of a factor for linemen in 3–4 defenses than in 4–3 defenses because they move primarily within the confines of line play and seldom are in space using athletic ability. Ideally 3–4 DEs should weigh 285–300 pounds and be able to beat double teams by getting a push. The ideal nose tackle has to be much bigger than DT's that play in a 4-3 scheme, weighing around 330 pounds or more. So this pretty much disqualifies Autry, Jacobs could possibly play DE in a 3-4 scheme but his athleticism makes his skill set more suitable for a 4-3 scheme, Couch would be another possibility but he is more of a playmaker so he is better suited for a 4-3 because at times he is trying to make the play much rather than just clogging a hole for the lbs to make, and Sentimore played for Bammer one year so he has some experience in a 3-4 but what makes him appealing to us is also his versatility to be able to collapese the pocket from outside at DE while still being able to jump inside to DT and make plays

I hear ya. So, it might be a bit of a stretch to be able to jump to a primary 3-4 scheme. But it could possibly be used in the right situation, especially if an Allan Carson or Mo Couch makes strides towards being able to control the line of scrimmage. It's an option, just probably not the primary option.

I appreciate the input. It'll be interesting to see what these guys look like when they play, in whatever formation they come out in. It will be fun to see.

Trying to give Miller a role on d. I think that would allow us to keep Couch fresh. Also J.Williams would allow us to keep Sentimore fresh too. He was getting some penetration in last night's game. Tyler Wilson was just getting rid of the ball on time to some veteran WRs.

I think Williams can and will add weight in the offseason and be even more effective at DE. If he's making this impact as a freshman weighing ~250 pounds, he could be a gem.

I hear ya. So, it might be a bit of a stretch to be able to jump to a primary 3-4 scheme. But it could possibly be used in the right situation, especially if an Allan Carson or Mo Couch makes strides towards being able to control the line of scrimmage. It's an option, just probably not the primary option.

I appreciate the input. It'll be interesting to see what these guys look like when they play, in whatever formation they come out in. It will be fun to see.

+1

im not breaker but i hope thats what happens. i thought leathers had good speed better for olb

why does everyone make a big deal about the 3-4 and 4-3. Yes some people fit better than others in their respective schemes. Either one you use it is still a 7 man front. For instance, a nose in a 3-4 is still effective in a 4-3 by being used as a 1 technique, 3-4 ends typically used as a 3 technique. The only reason we are using a 3-4 now because of depth issues, and it allows us to get more athletes on the field. If we get the d line prospects we are pursuing it wouldnt surprise me to see us back in the 4-3 exclusivley next season.

We are exclusivley in a 4-3 now. The only look where we even resemble a 3-4 is when we walk Maggitt up to the line and stand Jaq up on the opposite end. That's only to give him an opportunity to line up almost in a 9 technique or at the "buck" position to try and use his speed but he isn't using any sort of a knack in his rush to get to the qb

Breaker do see AJ moving to the middle or do you think Herman will step back into that role???

Im not breaker either, but AJ moving inside would be great but many raise the question as to whether or not he would be able to make all the calls and stuff. But maybe they could incorporate some way as to AJ playing in the middle but Herman making the calls until the coaches are fully comfortable with AJ doing it all by his lonesome

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back