We Need Better Lawyers and a Set

This is exactly why Pruitt will get about $8-10M.

His lawyer is looking for ways to reel Haslam, Clayton, Thornton, etc into a situation where emails, letters, texts from them to UT are placed in open court and the possibility of subpoenas for testimony exist for those big-time donors.

If you think a major donor is going to testify under oath concerning Pruitt and/or their donations and conversations and God Knows What with the UT Athletic Dept over the years...... you're naive or insane.

Those guys are rich, not stupid.
If they got tied up in the Hoover mafia and Pruitt, I'd beg to differ. Then again, maybe it's time to sever ties with some of these big money types. Their "contributions" to date and influence it's bought have produced some pretty dismal results. The definition of insanity comes to mind. Might be time to let the AD and coaching staff operate as they're led instead of doing what big money wants.

The investigation WILL NOT name any boosters / donors involved. UT and boosters / donors will not want a trial where they can be named. Will settle. JMO
If boosters/donors got involved and enabled Pruitt to lead our program into CFB purgatory, maybe it's better to name names and begin distancing ourselves from these folks. Yeah, I know it's hard to step away from that kind of money, but at some point, you have to question what you're doing when the results are as they are with UT.

If they got tied up in the Hoover mafia and Pruitt, I'd beg to differ. Then again, maybe it's time to sever ties with some of these big money types. Their "contributions" to date and influence it's bought have produced some pretty dismal results. The definition of insanity comes to mind. Might be time to let the AD and coaching staff operate as they're led instead of doing what big money wants.
If we throw big money under the bus for Pruitt, that's bad for the academic side and all donations to UT across the board. That's unacceptable and just not going to happen. Big boosters may be annoying but actual and potential 7-8 figure legacy donations are not to be trifled with.

When you've got that kind of money, we'll talk.

Perhaps you dislike how the world works but the world is large and has a lot of momentum and is hard to change. Knock yourself out though.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Ended up paying him 8 million to settle out of court. Arkansas didnt want a trial.

We will end up paying Pruitt at least that much. UT definitely does NOT want Pruitt talking under oath.
I don't think Pruitt knows what under oath even means.

I don't think Pruitt knows what under oath even means.
The Haslams know far too well what under oath means and they're not going to chance Pruitt taking the stand and naming names for a "mere" $8-10M.

These rich SOBs will take up a collection among the "dark money" crowd and Pruitt will say "Aight, I'm good" and be gone.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
I agree with this 100%.

... or maybe Tennessee just wants future coaching prospects (in any sport) and their agents to know that they honor their contracts, and those coaches won't have to go to court in order to get their full buyout if/when they are terminated. That is a good reputation to have.
This makes absolutely zero sense. “Hey, when we fire you, don’t worry…”. LOL

All the issues begin and end with the administration. Prematurely gave botch,Fuller,and cornbread premature extensions. In the case of fuller and cornbread in order to correct their stupid decision they decided to open their own investigation and destroy the school and program to save the huge buyout that they prematurely gave him in the extension months earlier. Hollywood couldn’t write a script as stupid as this. Things will never improve until the administration is replaced with intelligent people.

Not to mention any bowl ban we take will result in us forfeiting our share of the SEC's bowl purse, which will negate any money we save on the buyout. None of it makes any sense.

This makes absolutely zero sense. “Hey, when we fire you, don’t worry…”. LOL
I remember listening to an interview that Jimmy Sexton did with John Wilkerson and Jimmy Hyams a few years ago, when Sexton was critical of the schools who chronically resist paying contractually obligated buyouts. Sexton mentioned it as a subject which was later raised in his negotiations with those schools, but I realize that you probably don't even know who Jimmy Sexton is.

Last edited:
Reactions: onthehill71
Not to mention any bowl ban we take will result in us forfeiting our share of the SEC's bowl purse, which will negate any money we save on the buyout. None of it makes any sense.
Missouri got a 1% of budget fine in several sports, docked bowl money, scholarship dings in several sports, visit dings in several sports...... and they cooperated, self reported, etc a SINGLE ACADEMIC TUTOR helping athletes academically, no money, just doing tests and such, in several sports that the staff knew nothing about (that the NCAA or Missouri could prove.)

We were apparently paying football players to come to the university, the admin found good evidence of it, reported it, fired 3 coaches with cause and multiple members of the recruiting staff.... meaning it was a known, pervasive issue that went unreported.... but people on VN think we're going to get nothing from the NCAA.

Given that Missouri got hammered for cooperating fully for a relatively meaningless, non staff sanctioned, academic issue involving ONE LONE TUTOR and we fired THREE COACHES with cause for actually paying players and our entire recruiting staff....... paying off Pruitt not to talk seems like a very very good move.

I remember listening to an interview that Jimmy Sexton did with John Wilkerson and Jimmy Hyams a few years ago, when Sexton was critical of the schools who chronically resist paying contractually obligated buyouts. Sexton mentioned it as a subject which was later raised in his negotiations with those schools, but I realize that you probably don't even know who Jimmy Sexton is.
Of course I know who he is, but consider the source. He makes that statement for selfish reasons obviously.

Reactions: kcvols1
Ended up paying him 8 million to settle out of court. Arkansas didnt want a trial.

We will end up paying Pruitt at least that much. UT definitely does NOT want Pruitt talking under oath.

This is different with the NCAA issues Ark didn’t have. Tennessee story is going to be told to the NCAA and it will be public. It would be stupid to pay Pruitt anything to keep quiet when most, if not all, ( especially the bad stuff) has to be disclosed.

Reactions: onthehill71
N

Just don't see it that way. Football, the BELL COW for sure is the outlier at UT. Check out the results of their leadership at nearly ever other program. Whether it was what they did or did not do to allow the improved fortunes during the CPF era are there to see. He owns those results as well as football. Check the trend lines for Basketball, Baseball, soccer, Volleyball, golf, tennis, track, and swimming and identify those that have have not had a positive trend since the day he took over. Softball is kind of a push, but still top 20. His hurried hire of Pruitt is a huge error, but does not support the requirement for wholesale changes of the current leadership. The jury will be out for a while on the DW hire and his FB coach selection, but on paper it was a solid decision.

Which programs current trends do you think support the call for the house cleaning? Why?
My statement was and still is STOP making STUPID decisions! Show me where in the sport of football you give unwarranted extensions and raises. In those extensions buyouts increased. When your performance is mediocre at best you shouldn’t be giving extensions until the last year of the contract period. Look at the mess those decisions brought us. By all means please keep making the same mistakes over and over. I prefer the admin to learn and stop doing things that continuously sets the school back and continues to embarrass the university. But yes track and field is doing great!

How could Pruitt spill his guts on Level 1 violations committed on his watch at Tennessee, without also damaging his own future prospects (at least on the collegiate level)?

How could Pruitt spill his guts on Level 1 violations committed on his watch at Tennessee, without also damaging his own future prospects (at least on the collegiate level)?

his college future is in doubt due to the violations. He is after 12 million dollars. his lawyers are pushing this.. they understand it will be settled.

the issue for Tennessee is not the level one violations as relates to a lawsuit. It is names of influential people becoming public.

Reactions: Gandalf
At this point if I had any input, I'd fight the NCAA for any additional punishment. We have severed ties with every coach (S&C too) and athletic department official that was even remotely involves. Every player, signee and recruit that was "probably" named in the investigation is gone -to greener pastures -
No bowl ban, no reductions in scholarships, no nothing. A bowl ban hurts the community and non-profit designated (OK I might agree to forfeit and bowl proceeds back to the non-profit) by the bowl because UT will draw a bigger attendance than their replacement. The scholarship reduction means that some poor DII kid doesn't get a free ride (a reduction for us means the pie is smaller for all football players) - Any additional punishment is only hurting the innocent, and If I'm UT I start a media campaign with Pruitt's bail out money building that case

Reactions: kcvols1
Arky told Bert to pound sand for not looking for a real job. We told Lyle thank you sir, can I please have another. Arky settled for nearly $4 m under the buy out agreement. Oh yes, Arky was able to find a coach despite being total cads about the compensation. Bert did not spill all of the Razorbacks deep secrets in retribution. Lyle smoked a big one and dared us to do something.

Interesting take, but every situation and every personality is different. I don't think the fan base of either school knows all the details about any given situation, or what lead to certain decisions.

YES.

Pruitt was not fired for cheating, he was fired because he signed an employment contract, in which he agreed that he was responsible for those that directly or indirectly report to him.

If he files a lawsuit, he only has two options, to challenge the legality of the language of the contract, or to challenge that it was wrongfully executed.

There's literally nothing about "him being under oath" that UT is concerned about when it comes to Pruitt's lawyer trying to argue that he was improperly fired under the terms of his contract.

Pruitt is most likely done coaching college football at least at the P5 level so he wants the money.

Pruitt was not fired for cheating, he was fired because he signed an employment contract, in which he agreed that he was responsible for those that directly or indirectly report to him.

If he files a lawsuit, he only has two options, to challenge the legality of the language of the contract, or to challenge that it was wrongfully executed.

There's literally nothing about "him being under oath" that UT is concerned about when it comes to Pruitt's lawyer trying to argue that he was improperly fired under the terms of his contract.

He could also say that he was just operating in the established environment with full approval of his superiors.

his college future is in doubt due to the violations. He is after 12 million dollars. his lawyers are pushing this.. they understand it will be settled.

the issue for Tennessee is not the level one violations as relates to a lawsuit. It is names of influential people becoming public.

Exactly this. Pruitt is done with college for now - he is going to get that money and then go to the pros for a bit while he waits for the perfect opportunity to come back to P5. Meanwhile, the $8+ million they will pay him to keep his mouth shut is pennies compared to the utter oblivion UT sports would face if boosters ever thought their name would see the light of day for shady dealings.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe

VN Store

Back