We kewl?

tenor.gif

GVG says STFU and GTFO.

As a former middle school girl - actually it was junior high back in the mid-sixties - I just have to say that I’ve never seen anything like the antics in this thread. And that includes The Great Toadstool Throwing Riot in 7th grade English in the spring of 1967 at Walt Whitman Junior High in Alexandria VA.

As a former middle school girl - actually it was junior high back in the mid-sixties - I just have to say that I’ve never seen anything like the antics in this thread. And that includes The Great Toadstool Throwing Riot in 7th grade English in the spring of 1967 at Walt Whitman Junior High in Alexandria VA.
giphy.gif

did I know you grew up here in Alexandria? If I did I had forgotten about it

Reactions: VolNExile
did I know you grew up here in Alexandria? If I did I had forgotten about it
No, not a “grow up” - Army brat here.

We lived there when I was 5th through 7th grades, when Daddy was at the Army Surgeon General Office. We were in (I think??) Mt Vernon Estates or something burb-ish like that out by Little Hunting Creek. Woodley Hills Elementary and Walt Whitman JH. Some sort of military officer ghetto, all services, all officers and their brats.

He had a surprise deployment to Viet Nam when the CO of the field military hospital that he had shepherded through development was killed, but otherwise, it was probably his only TDY where he wore civvies.

After that, it was Hawaii (Tripler) and DC itself (Walter Reed, before the physical base was closed down and it got sucked into Navy Bethesda, patooie, patooie.)

Whereabouts do you go home to reassemble your brain?

Reactions: volfanbill
No, not a “grow up” - Army brat here.

We lived there when I was 5th through 7th grades, when Daddy was at the Army Surgeon General Office. We were in (I think??) Mt Vernon Estates or something burb-ish like that out by Little Hunting Creek. Woodley Hills Elementary and Walt Whitman JH. Some sort of military officer ghetto, all services, all officers and their brats.

He had a surprise deployment to Viet Nam when the CO of the field military hospital that he had shepherded through development was killed, but otherwise, it was probably his only TDY where he wore civvies.

After that, it was Hawaii (Tripler) and DC itself (Walter Reed, before the physical base was closed down and it got sucked into Navy Bethesda, patooie, patooie.)

Whereabouts do you go home to reassemble your brain?
You mean “home” home? That’s Johnson City, TN. Well, I don’t like being in the city limits, but you get the idea. Home as in where I lay my head down at night after a crazy day at the five sided building? That’s off Seminary Rd and Braddock. I live really close to TC Williams HS (btw, they’re re name it)

You mean “home” home? That’s Johnson City, TN. Well, I don’t like being in the city limits, but you get the idea. Home as in where I lay my head down at night after a crazy day at the five sided building? That’s off Seminary Rd and Braddock. I live really close to TC Williams HS (btw, they’re re name it)
Oh I’m sorry, I was thinking you were the poster who did the media rasslin’ for some brass person in the DC area. I really can’t keep up any more!

ETA:
Home as in where I lay my head down at night after a crazy day at the five sided building? That’s off Seminary Rd and Braddock.

Oh, Seminary Road finally registered! You are up there.

Whatever the physical location of Alexandria is, we really only went there for my jazz piano lessons with someone named “Mr. Kent.” I loved how Alexandria looked, all the Brice-paved brick-paved passageways and all, but we were definitely in the burbs.

Edit to fix one of the more wtf iPhone edits

Last edited:
Reactions: volfanbill
Edit: “trying to rename it”. Ironically when you think about the movie, the name is after an old Alexandria schools superintendent who fought hard to keep the schools segregated.

Oh I’m sorry, I was thinking you were the poster who did the media rasslin’ for some brass person in the DC area. I really can’t keep up any more!
I work in the Pentagon aka “five sided building” but we do cover almost any brass up here. Seminary Rd and Braddock are right near where the Arlington line. Near King St if that helps more.

ETA:

Oh, Seminary Road finally registered! You are up there.

Whatever the physical location of Alexandria is, we really only went there for my jazz piano lessons with someone named “Mr. Kent.” I loved how Alexandria looked, all the Brice-paved passageways and all, but we were definitely in the burbs.
Being this far north in the Alexandria limits it’s really hard to know when I’m in Alexandria and when I’m Arlington. I mean, Arlington is a little more uppity, but there’s no distinguished way to know when you’ve entered Arlington County.

Edit: “trying to rename it”. Ironically when you think about the movie, the name is after an old Alexandria schools superintendent who fought hard to keep the schools segregated.
I know, right? I would have gone to Mt Vernon High, I think.

Nothing surprises me (although a lot appals me.) Other than one Latino (“Mexican”) kid in my fall third-grade class in San Antonio (moved to Houston over Christmas), I was in all-white classes until we moved to Hawaii, beginning of eighth grade. <- best thing that ever happened to me.

We used to spend most of the summer water-skiing, and I tan really dark. My mother joked at the end of the summer between 6th and 7th grade that if I got any darker, they wouldn’t let me back in school.

It was 10th grade (in Hawaii) before I figured that one out.

Note: this wasn’t a particularly racist comment by my mom. Just a comment by an Army wife back in the day who knew how things were.

VN Store

Back