We had four WR's average over 14 yards a catch and..

It takes 35 to win against the best teams in the SEC even if you have an excellent defense. OL certainly the main position that were hoping is tremendously improved.

Reactions: feathersax
The only thing about that yards per catch is that it seemed that the fade jump ball constituted about half of Helton's passing plays. So, when they connected it, it skewed the ypc of a few of our receivers. A more sophisticated short/intermediate passing game might lower those ypc for our receivers this year (but we should complete more).

That YPC # is slightly misleading. We were highly inefficient in the short to medium passing game last year, and a solid percentage of our throws were down the field.

Good #'s to build on for sure, but our offense last year was as bad and sluggish as any Vol team I can remember. IDC what cherry-picked stats are out there to suggest otherwise.

14 yards a catch? Can’t be true, we’ve been told by the professional NFL scouts on VN that JG blows as a QB
No. What you've been told is that he has a nice arm and can throw SOME passes well but is ineffective because of things he CANNOT do.

He throws 50/50 balls to the sideline well. That's not a small feat. Lots of guys can't do it and he does it very well. But you can't live on it. Only two SEC opponents were unable to find a way to limit those throws. To sustain drives and score points, you also need someone who can hit slants, hitches, quick outs, drags, etc. Who can read D's, anticipate openings, and throw to a spot. If you really didn't see that weakness first time through... go back and rewatch some games. As much pressure as teams brought against him at times, he should have eaten them up with slants and other quick reads in the middle of the field. But either the coaches didn't trust him to throw those passes or he lacked the confidence to throw them. Either way, his inability to read and use the whole field contributed to the pressure he felt and the overall ineffectiveness of the O.

Oh, PS, certain posters here have claimed improvement for JG by pointing out that sacks fell sharply. So why doesn't the OL get some of that credit? Their failures do NOT prevent him from reading D's and making good decisions.

All that said... that is the past and he now plays under a guy who knows how to get players to perform. YOU started a discussion of the past insinuating he didn't have problems he pretty obviously had. Hopefully under Chaney's tutelage the lights will come on for JG and he'll become the player his physical talent indicates he can be. Chaney had a hand in getting Crompton to play well... and he was a worse train wreck than JG by a long shot. (Crompton was actually 3rd in SEC passing the year he played for Chaney in an O that scored 29 ppg... with two undersized walk-ons starting at OG and C)

That YPC # is slightly misleading. We were highly inefficient in the short to medium passing game last year, and a solid percentage of our throws were down the field.

Good #'s to build on for sure, but our offense last year was as bad and sluggish as any Vol team I can remember. IDC what cherry-picked stats are out there to suggest otherwise.
I don't think yards per catch is a cherry picked stat. All four of those guys averaged a first down everytime you threw to them. And as far as the scheme goes, that guy is in Western Kentucky...

Reactions: k-town_king
I don't think yards per catch is a cherry picked stat. All four of those guys averaged a first down everytime you threw to them. And as far as the scheme goes, that guy is in Western Kentucky...

When you're looking for any kind of stat to distract you from the fact that our offense was 121 out of 129 teams, it's 100% a cherry picked stat. It's just like saying well, I failed the test... but hey, on part B I got 4 of the 6 questions right!

NCAA College Football FBS current team Stats | NCAA.com

Regarding JG's poor numbers on short passes...
If I'm not mistaken, slants and inside routes frequently require the O-line, TE, or a back to block someone to "clear a specific lane"--often just engaging the DL low so that he won't jump or raise his arms--allowing the ball to be thrown low and on timing.

Who knows what kind of QB JG might prove to be with confidence in his O-line.

14 yards a catch! DANG! How many TD's did they get? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: lynnh
No. What you've been told is that he has a nice arm and can throw SOME passes well but is ineffective because of things he CANNOT do.

He throws 50/50 balls to the sideline well. That's not a small feat. Lots of guys can't do it and he does it very well. But you can't live on it. Only two SEC opponents were unable to find a way to limit those throws. To sustain drives and score points, you also need someone who can hit slants, hitches, quick outs, drags, etc. Who can read D's, anticipate openings, and throw to a spot. If you really didn't see that weakness first time through... go back and rewatch some games. As much pressure as teams brought against him at times, he should have eaten them up with slants and other quick reads in the middle of the field. But either the coaches didn't trust him to throw those passes or he lacked the confidence to throw them. Either way, his inability to read and use the whole field contributed to the pressure he felt and the overall ineffectiveness of the O.

Oh, PS, certain posters here have claimed improvement for JG by pointing out that sacks fell sharply. So why doesn't the OL get some of that credit? Their failures do NOT prevent him from reading D's and making good decisions.

All that said... that is the past and he now plays under a guy who knows how to get players to perform. YOU started a discussion of the past insinuating he didn't have problems he pretty obviously had. Hopefully under Chaney's tutelage the lights will come on for JG and he'll become the player his physical talent indicates he can be. Chaney had a hand in getting Crompton to play well... and he was a worse train wreck than JG by a long shot. (Crompton was actually 3rd in SEC passing the year he played for Chaney in an O that scored 29 ppg... with two undersized walk-ons starting at OG and C)
Truth. But that makes you a negavol and hate JG as a person and also makes you an overall terrible person who should root for Bama or Georgia.

Reactions: sjt18
Truth. But that makes you a negavol and hate JG as a person and also makes you an overall terrible person who should root for Bama or Georgia.

I'll wait right here for you to go find and quote a post of yours that says any of that in bold.

I will apologize when you do.

Go.

No. Some have said that, others have said JG blows.
Who and how many?

I've defended JG on several occasions from those who say he lacks talent... but there aren't that many and they seem to be trolling certain folks.

I'll wait right here for you to go find and quote a post of yours that says any of that in bold.

I will apologize when you do.

Go.
Go find any post about JG..

And no need to apologize for anything as I wasn't accusing you of anything.

Who and how many?

I've defended JG on several occasions from those who say he lacks talent... but there aren't that many and they seem to be trolling certain folks.

Several and if you flat out ask I'm positive there are more. I don't remember their names but if it was important I could search my posts and find where one said he never said JG sucked, and I quoted 3 or 4 of his posts where he did. 69 will tell you he blows. Start a thread with a poll, "do you think JG blows?" You'll see.

And no need to apologize for anything as I wasn't accusing you of anything.

Nope, I think it'd be a waste of time.

Haha, I know you didn't accuse me of anything, I just meant I'd apologize for questioning you.

I looked and couldn't find you saying anything good about JG except that you don't hate him and you don't wish for him to get hurt. But I thought if I did like you asked, maybe you would find one and show me I'm wrong.

Yeah I expect to see a lot of PA out of JG this year. Thats the easiest way to salvage a terrible QB into a not so terrible QB while you find his replacement.

Several and if you flat out ask I'm positive there are more. I don't remember their names but if it was important I could search my posts and find where one said he never said JG sucked, and I quoted 3 or 4 of his posts where he did. 69 will tell you he blows. Start a thread with a poll, "do you think JG blows?" You'll see.
No need for the effort unless it is worth it to you.

I don't notice those people and the few I do... I usually see troll written all over their posts. OTOH, there are several here led by k-town who appear to be dead serious in their cult like defenses of JG.

Reactions: mpfvol
No need for the effort unless it is worth it to you.

I don't notice those people and the few I do... I usually see troll written all over their posts. OTOH, there are several here led by k-town who appear to be dead serious in their cult like defenses of JG.

I was kidding about starting a thread and a poll.

So if someone is trolling and talking about how bad JG sucks, you think they really think he's good and has potential?

K-town is the only one I've noticed that seems to have an obsession with defending JG and he seems to have laid off in the last week or so.

To be honest, even though its a little weird seeing K town the way he is about JG, its a lot more weird seeing some obsess with the constant criticism. I'd just like to say to both....we get it.

I looked and couldn't find you saying anything good about JG except that you don't hate him and you don't wish for him to get hurt. But I thought if I did like you asked, maybe you would find one and show me I'm wrong.
I did he did good during WVU, Auburn, and Kentucky. Pretty sure thats about it. Now by good I might have said "doesnt suck as bad as I thought" but its hard to remember. The past two years of football have been a bit blurred by whiskey and beer.

VN Store

Back