We blew a 25 point lead?

It didn’t help that Admiral and Grant were both on the bench for a while in fouls trouble. Ultimately, that’s what hurt us. As soon as Barnes inserted Grant into the game, things got a little better.

I’m personally tired of Grant not getting the calls he deserves when he’s fouled. Then there’s Zion who plows over 2 guys in the lane and gets the foul call. If that was Grant, they toss him from the game.

Yeah, I watched Duke's game vs. UCF. Zion was in bulldozer mode a few times. I thought he charged on more than one occasion..... but it's Duke ...... they're incapable of that (blue font). Great March Madness game that was. Duke is lucky they're not headed home as UCF just couldn't get a kind bounce at the rim.

Reactions: patrick
Vols took foot off the gas in 2nd half and it nearly cost them, valuable lesson, hope it was learned this time:
If you have your foot on their throat step harder!!!!

If you “collapse” doesn’t that include LOSING? This team is what it is...no reinventing. Advance and I give a **** as to the final margin of victory.

If you “collapse” doesn’t that include LOSING? This team is what it is...no reinventing. Advance and I give a **** as to the final margin of victory.
Many have them confused with teams of old that blew big leads and then lost on a last second missed shot. These guys have been losing leads all season, usually recovering when it gets to single digits. this time a couple of foul calls let them get even. And then they still pulled it out. And I don't blame the refs. Who here could call a game like this at the speed and intensity teams play at.

Reactions: butchna
If thats a back and forth game that goes to OT where we dominate the session and advance most erbody is good with it.

Having a poor second half sucked after the first half, but advancing is all that really matters. We re prepping for Purdue today. Iowa is having exit meetings and cleaning out lockers.

Coaches (all of them) continue to do a dismal job keeping these guys focused for 40 mins. Granted a team FULL of veterans shouldn't NEED to be reminded, but it seems that they dont realize or care that they have a chance to be special. They TOTALLY lacked focus in the SECCG. And that was for a TROPHY! Seems like Grant has been playing with his main focus on the NBA. Same with Bone. Neither of them have played particularly well for an entire game since about January.

Coaches (all of them) continue to do a dismal job keeping these guys focused for 40 mins. Granted a team FULL of veterans shouldn't NEED to be reminded, but it seems that they dont realize or care that they have a chance to be special. They TOTALLY lacked focus in the SECCG. And that was for a TROPHY! Seems like Grant has been playing with his main focus on the NBA. Same with Bone. Neither of them have played particularly well for an entire game since about January.

Watching the replay I don't think its focus. They just don't play well in the half court. Their game is pushing the ball up court and running their offense before the defense gets totally set, finding that weak point and taking advantage of it. When they walk the ball up and the defense fronts Williams they are much easier to defend, they force a lot of passes, make turnovers and the offense looks stagnant. They can't run the entire game so it is what it is.

Reactions: Tommy Pine
The first half was energy on defense took Iowa completely out of their offense. Second half we looked like we already won the game totally relaxed and went about 8 possessions without scoring while they scored on all theirs.

Watching the replay I don't think its focus. They just don't play well in the half court. Their game is pushing the ball up court and running their offense before the defense gets totally set, finding that weak point and taking advantage of it. When they walk the ball up and the defense fronts Williams they are much easier to defend, they force a lot of passes, make turnovers and the offense looks stagnant. They can't run the entire game so it is what it is.
Focus played a huge part in the 11 2nd half TOs, though. Watching them play yesterday, to me, it really seemed like they had in their mind that they had built an insurmountable lead, and the play on the court looked lackadaisical and lacked focus until they had to dial it in. I guess on one hand, it's nice to be able to hit a button and dominate, but you'd like to see them hit that button and then lose the remote.

Last edited:
There is no question that the refs were awful in the second half (I actually thought they were pretty decent in the first), but had we lost that game, it wouldn't be because of the refs. One doesn't blow a 25-point lead because of the refs. To those who are saying the refs almost cost us the game - were you watching the second half? It was Tennessee & Iowa vs. Tennessee. They looked like a group of wannabes playing at the YMCA, or Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Along Came Polly (White Chocolate! - If you don't know what I'm talking about, google "along came polly white chocolate" - you're welcome). Whatever the primary reason for blowing the 25-point lead, it wasn't the refs.

That being said, the foul on LT's clean blocked shot royally pissed me off, though. The shooter was right handed, so his off hand presented a line of sight issue for the guilty zebra to the left of the shooter, and the zebra with the better view signaled blocked shot, but unfortunately didn't have a backbone to speak of when they got together to discuss what each other saw. I hate it when refs call fouls based on pure anticipation and clearly nothing more. Not calling a foul that actually occurs I can live with, but calling a foul when there was no foul is unacceptable, and refs need to be fined (a percentage of their game check) for doing so, certainly when it occurs in such a crucial stretch of the game. Please note I say this as a former high school football official (former because I decided at 33 to go back to school), so I'm well aware of the pressures of officiating, how difficult it is, and everything else that goes into it.

We just got too complacent 2nd half. Refs weren’t the reason for the comeback though at one point I believe Iowa had shot 32 free throws to our 17.

You blow a twenty-five point lead by playing five against eight in the second half.My god,could the refs be any more crooked(hell yes crooked)than calling a clean block by Lamonte a foul! Then,to top all of this off,Bohanon of Iowa shoves Fulkerson with both arms, then does it again and the refs.call a double technical and give the ball to Iowa rather than a flagrant one with Tennessee getting two foul shots and the ball.Or they could have called a flagrant 2 and thrown that as..ole out of the game with UT getting the ball.Irregardless of how UT had some sloppy play in the second half,with a twenty-one point lead,there is no way that the leading team gets called for 10 fouls to one by the trailing team.No call on Weiskamp for the arm bar on Turner either.Could you smell fix is in at Big Ten Columbus, Ohoho?

went flat and overconfident with a big lead. No big deal---win and advance! Score is irrelevant.

Its like the Butch Cassidy movie where Sundance was asked to pull his gun aim and shoot the target. He missed and looked bad. Then he said, "I"m better when I move". This is the problem to me, their slow half court game is terrible right now.

Reactions: Volview
You blow a twenty-five point lead by playing five against eight in the second half.My god,could the refs be any more crooked(hell yes crooked)than calling a clean block by Lamonte a foul! Then,to top all of this off,Bohanon of Iowa shoves Fulkerson with both arms, then does it again and the refs.call a double technical and give the ball to Iowa rather than a flagrant one with Tennessee getting two foul shots and the ball.Or they could have called a flagrant 2 and thrown that as..ole out of the game with UT getting the ball.Irregardless of how UT had some sloppy play in the second half,with a twenty-one point lead,there is no way that the leading team gets called for 10 fouls to one by the trailing team.No call on Weiskamp for the arm bar on Turner either.Could you smell fix is in at Big Ten Columbus, Ohoho?
We should really quit bitching about the calls. Wtf are we UK?

Reactions: jeff1vol and Lurker
I'm sure every team's fan base feels they have a hard time maintaining leads or winning. It's a psychological aspect of the game. Every team has to deal with momentum swings and be able to respond to them. Not all do, and we are actually better than most teams in handling them.

In the end, we have only lost 5 games and are playing in the SWEET 16. This team has found a way to finish when it matters and be the better, more mature team when the game is on the line. One month from now no one will care that we were up 25 and almost blew it. They will care that we won and made it to being one of the last 16 teams in the tourney.

blowing a 25 point lead will be a nice footnote when UT wins the Tournament...but if they don't, no one outside of Tennessee or Iowa will remember this game.

At least they did not slip by due to a bad bounce on the rim by an inferior opponent like Duke did. The outcome of that game was not in their control.

Win and move on. You get no style points in this tournament. If you did then Ja Morant would still be playing. The road to a championship of any kind is not supposed to be easy. It’s not lined with daffodils and lilacs. It’s lined with blood, sweat and tears.

Reactions: Volview
The good news is this team has played well in several clutch moments this year, including overtime yesterday. The bad news, I'm a bit concern about our in game adjustments and that's critical this time of year. I have a lot of confidence in leaders on this team to get it done. In all honesty, I'm not as confident in Coach Barnes and staff to make the right in game adjustments in a timely manner. If this team can play like they played in December we're going to the final 4.

Exactly. This is the NCAAT. There are no bad teams. Every game--especially after the first round--should be a dogfight. Survive and advance.

We just got too complacent 2nd half. Refs weren’t the reason for the comeback though at one point I believe Iowa had shot 32 free throws to our 17.
It really wasn't a case of Iowa catching fire. We were turning the ball over left and right and they were able to get to the free throw line.

FAHR BARNES!!!

FAHR GRANT!!!!

FAHR BONE!!!!

Reactions: Lurker

VN Store

Back