WBB and the NIL

Raebo

Over on the football side there has been a lot of talk about the NIL and SPRYE. There is an article over there saying SPRYE (Tennessee) is number 1 Some are pro and some have negative feelings about giving athletes large amount of money (total around 25 million??) to come to UT.
SPRYE indicated they were making NIL deals with both men and women athletes, but I have not seen a peep about it over in this forum. Just curious how others feel about it. Basically I am fine with it although there is still a nagging part of me that wonders when a top recruit/transfer announces they coming to UT, is it because of the money. I guess it doesn’t matter as long as they are of good character and work hard for the team. But if they are getting a nice check to come here, it makes it harder for me to think of them as VFL.
Anyone have thoughts on the matter concerning WBB??? I think the consensus on the football side is that as long as we are at or near the top in giving out NIL deals, then it is good.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
Over on the football side there has been a lot of talk about the NIL and SPRYE. There is an article over there saying SPRYE (Tennessee) is number 1 Some are pro and some have negative feelings about giving athletes large amount of money (total around 25 million??) to come to UT.
SPRYE indicated they were making NIL deals with both men and women athletes, but I have not seen a peep about it over in this forum. Just curious how others feel about it. Basically I am fine with it although there is still a nagging part of me that wonders when a top recruit/transfer announces they coming to UT, is it because of the money. I guess it doesn’t matter as long as they are of good character and work hard for the team. But if they are getting a nice check to come here, it makes it harder for me to think of them as VFL.
Anyone have thoughts on the matter concerning WBB??? I think the consensus on the football side is that as long as we are at or near the top in giving out NIL deals, then it is good.
Kellie said that 90% of recruits ask about NIL opportunities when they talk to them. It is what it is, and if we’re not on board with it, we’ll be at the bottom. I see nothing wrong with student athletes wanting to earn some money while in college, it’s not like they have time for a part time job. I think most college girls just want some extra spending money, no where near some of the deals football players are getting

Need what to do whatever within the rules to stay competitive or beat the competition. NIL is probably going to get out of hand at some point on the men's side and possibly the women's also, but it is the reality.

Certainly not against compensation for athletes, but their should be a limit to the amount of compensation you can receive in college. You are not a college student anymore you are a paid employee and you decide to go to the highest bidder. If everyone is offering the same amount then at least it levels the playing field. Were now seeing schools both in men's basketball and football making compensation deals then someone else offering a better deal and back and forth. I just think there should be a limit to the amount of the deal then all schools can offer it and the athlete can choose which school he likes best not just which one is offering the most money. Some of the things athletes are demanding these days just amazes me just showing how money can corrupt and no amount is never enough.

Need what to do whatever within the rules to stay competitive or beat the competition. NIL is probably going to get out of hand at some point on the men's side and possibly the women's also, but it is the reality.
I wonder what’s going to happen when enough women realize they aren’t getting the same NIL opportunities as the men and start suing under Title IX.

I wonder what’s going to happen when enough women realize they aren’t getting the same NIL opportunities as the men and start suing under Title IX.

An NIL contract is a business deal between the athlete and a company. Title IX only applies to schools and other educational programs that receive federal funding. As long as the school isn't prohibiting female students from pursuing NIL opportunities according to the NIL laws, Title IX isn't applicable. If the women have a complaint about their NIL offers, they need to take it up with their agent.

Whatever your sport, if you're a player receiving more NIL money than your teammates, you'll have to be the hardest working player in order to prevent envy from dividing your team.

I would rather have seen a profit-sharing NIL structure, where a percentage of individual receipts were shared equally among teammates, at least within team sports. Centers don't generate large NIL profits without effective point guards and wings, any more than running backs do without linemen.

It's going to annihilate college sports as we know it. But the people who wanted this never cared. And soon enough, the people who didn't want it won't care about the sports.

As for the here and now, if everyone else is swimming in the pool, you better hop in too, at least when it comes to recruiting. Recruits will look at it through the lens of themselves and their fellow recruits, and if someone's getting something, then everyone's gonna want something. It is not lost on me that even a reasonable amount could likely buy you the best team in women's college basketball.

This NIL business arrangement between the athlete and the different corporations, fascinates me..Not sure, outside of personal appearances, what do the athletes do, or can do, in order to earn their money.

The way the rules are for now, it is what it is....
Yvng-Swag-raining-money-GIF.gif

It's going to annihilate college sports as we know it. But the people who wanted this never cared. And soon enough, the people who didn't want it won't care about the sports.

As for the here and now, if everyone else is swimming in the pool, you better hop in too, at least when it comes to recruiting. Recruits will look at it through the lens of themselves and their fellow recruits, and if someone's getting something, then everyone's gonna want something. It is not lost on me that even a reasonable amount could likely buy you the best team in women's college basketball.
Yes were in a bidding war right now for a men's basketball player with Auburn. He is making his selection known on May 12th. There are no rules teams coaches just come out and make offers through whichever company or booster they have arranged the payments with and we'll see who wins this one. The recruiting pitch is we have this amount with this company and that company if you sign with us. NCAA can do nothing at this time. Some conference Commissioners are lobbying Senators of their conferences states right now trying to get some federal laws in place. If this doesn't happen then from here on out for any player you want your going to have to be the winner of the bidding wars. Tennessee has decided to play this game both in football and men's basketball at this time. I heard that Spyre also is setting up some women's basketball deals so we'll see how that goes and if they continue to be as successful as they have thus far look for some big names to come our way in the future. Right now were in the top five actually number one in money to offer both in football and men's basketball won't be long before everyone starts trying to catch up.

Reactions: Aladywhovolunteer
Compensation for college athletes was long overdue.

Compensation yes, crazy no.

Example, John H. Ruiz, billionaire supporter of the University of Miami recently paid Nijel Pack $800,000 to transfer from Kansas State and play two years at the "U." To add insult to injury, Mr Ruiz tweeted out the numbers and dared the NCAA to try and stop him from accomplishing what he called his legal right in the State of Flordia.
Shortly there after, Miami's point guard ( a kid with the last name of Wong) tweeted unless he got the same money as Nigel Pack he would be leaving the "U." Apparently, not understanding contractual law, Wong deleted his tweet and apoligized after a conversation with Mr. Ruiz.

It's been stated, that currently the University of Tennessee, with its Spyre Consortium is the number one university in the NIL business.

Coach Rick Barnes, Chairman of the NCAA Rules committee for Men's basketball (I think) has been adamant that NIL was intended to compensate hard working players ( with business endoresements) after being on campus and contributing to a team. He has said the use of NIL as a recruiting tool is not what it was intended for and needs more rules and regulations to prohibit this from occurring.

As Spyre has started discussioning NIL compensation with highly rated men basketball players, before they sign with Tennessee, Coach Barnes has been outspoken in ensuring current players are offered the same compensation as new players in order to advoid the mess at the University of Miami.

The NCAA has recently announced they are investigating all Universities and their affiliation with Consordium groups to ensure they are not sophisticated "Pay to Play" out fits.

SEC Comminioner Greg Sankey has recently lamented that the NCAA has been too slow to act ( what's new) on states passing laws to allow their state universities to do what ever...to secure the best possible players available.

I have no idea where we go from here but unless guardrails are implemented quickly to stop folks like Mr. Ruiz, then the games we love and enjoy watching will not exit any more.

Of course the most out spoken critics of NIL compensation has been Coach Saban and Coach Lane Kiffen. Both good coachs of programs where paying players illegally has been routinely alleged.

These are becoming difficult times with a weakened NCAA.

Yes were in a bidding war right now for a men's basketball player with Auburn. He is making his selection known on May 12th. There are no rules teams coaches just come out and make offers through whichever company or booster they have arranged the payments with and we'll see who wins this one. The recruiting pitch is we have this amount with this company and that company if you sign with us. NCAA can do nothing at this time. Some conference Commissioners are lobbying Senators of their conferences states right now trying to get some federal laws in place. If this doesn't happen then from here on out for any player you want your going to have to be the winner of the bidding wars. Tennessee has decided to play this game both in football and men's basketball at this time. I heard that Spyre also is setting up some women's basketball deals so we'll see how that goes and if they continue to be as successful as they have thus far look for some big names to come our way in the future. Right now were in the top five actually number one in money to offer both in football and men's basketball won't be long before everyone starts trying to catch up.

Pretty much. And when some big college player gets up there and talks about how they love their school, and how they love their town or their state, or whatever - everyone will know it's a load of crap. All the marketing and advertising about "supporting your school" or the local university, it's all up in smoke. The sport will be utterly unrelated to school, even moreso than it already was, and frankly there's a reasonable argument to be made for divorcing the mini-pro leagues from the schools.

What gets me is how this will destroy the loyalty from every angle. Not just the players, either, I mean the fans too. This Phillips recruit we're bidding against Auburn for, some dude who may play one year before going pro - who cares what he does? I mean, I know people care because they want him to come here, but so what? Does anyone care about the one-and-done's after they're gone? Can someone who stops over for one year before kicking rocks even be called a Vol? They can, I guess, because one-and-done's are accepted, but does it really matter? I have Kentucky relatives who hate what their program has become. Kids come and go and treat Kentucky like an ATM machine. Grab and go. They like the winning, but they don't get as invested as they used to.

I mean, nobody talks about Tobias Harris much anymore, but everyone stills talks about Chris Lofton, or Admiral, or whoever. Getting invested in someone who isn't really committed just feels silly.

Compensation for college athletes was long overdue.

If you are on scholarship you are being compensated... a lot. Did you forget? A full four-year-scholarship is a free college education and worth about $200,000. Hello! That's a freaking big deal. A partial schoalrship is valuable. You think that's nothing? Ask all the students in America that borrow money to go to college and spend many years paying off the debt. This notion of paying student-athletes is nonsense. It was started by activists with the usual "give us stuff" mindset. Revenue sports do generate a lot of money--and nearly all of it gets poured back into facilities, trainers, medical care, coaches.

As for NIL, almost everybody agrees it's a disaster. It was reported yesterday that the SEC and the Big12 have both gone to Congress asking for help in dealing with it. The Supreme Court opened a huge can of worms. There are no rules--and so you've got schools bribing prospects to sign with NIL deals or bribing them to transfer. No regulations, no parameters. You've got universities that are going to pay student-athletes to get decent grades. Oh, my--laughable. What happened to the 'student' in student-athlete? College athletics has been completely corrupted by the professionalization of revenue. I hear people say that student-athletes should be able to benefit from "the market." College is not the market--it's college. You get one or two BB players with NIL deals, how are other good players on the team going to feel about it? Not good.

The transfer portal is another big mess. It was reported today that 40 percent of the scholarship FBS student-athletes who enter the portal do NOT end up on scholarship at another FBS school. So nearly half of those entering are making a major mistake.

As it stands right now the NIL is more like the wild west, and I don't think it will change anytime soon. I have little issue with compensation for student-athletes(SAs), it's been going on all along (alumni & boosters), now it's just out in the open. However I do have serious concerns. As I understand this issue, the idea of compensating SAs has its basis rooted in the fact that a SA's athletic ability and performance has a measurable value to the institution they attend, and in the marketplace with a marketable and scalable monetary equivalent. The same can be said for a member of the band, debate team, members of the academic bowl, or any student who represents the institution they attend, where is the stopping point? The effects we are already seeing in college sports is only going to get more prevalent. Those institutions who have more money to spend to get SAs to come their school will have an advantage over those who don't, and no one at this juncture should be naïve enough to think its not a recruiting tool. With that being said, winning still matters. Elite SAs want to win above all, but money is a part of it. There are also very serious financial risks for the SAs if "uncle Bob" is the negotiating agent in their NIL deals. SA's who don't have the requisite entrepreneurial skills could make decisions that will cost them financially and otherwise. Team chemistry and team dynamics will be challenged at institutions that don't have a strong coach and a stable culture. The university that can create an NIL infrastructure that act as an educational resource for SAs with leveraged financial investment for future athletes will have an advantage.

Colleges are not marketplaces--that's the real issue here, as far as I'm concerned--and to pretend otherwise is to make a mockery of college. NIL, paying athletes, etc:--it's all very destablizing and anathema to the whole idea of being a college student. Where comes this bizarre notion that colleges should pay student-athletes to attend class or make a certain grade-point average, when most are in easy majors to begin with? It's funny how nobody who favors this idea of paying student-athletes mentions the fact that they're already being compensated in a big way via their free, four-year college education.

But then we all know that many revenue-sport athletes are not really much into academics; they're just part of the professional-commercial side of major-college athletics. The "1-and-Done" BB player makes a mockery of college and college athletics; it's sad that coaches actually engage in it. Who the hell wants to go to all the trouble to recruit a 5-star player knowing he will be gone after 1 year, before he's even begun to reach his potential--and do that every year? It's absolutely crazy. And that NBA clubs drafts all these guys--KNOWING that most of them are years away from being productive/good NBA players, if they ever reach that point--is just stupid. The NBA is full of 1-and-done's who spend most of their time on the bench. It's all pretty crass and corrupt--but then major-college athletics has been that way for years; it's just getting worse now. College is one thing and business is quite another--and those who think that they can be mixed with no problems are insane. And, finally, no college athlete is going prioritize winning a championship with one program/school over taking more money from another school. The money will always win the day. It's all very corrupting.

Colleges are not marketplaces--that's the real issue here, as far as I'm concerned--and to pretend otherwise is to make a mockery of college. NIL, paying athletes, etc:--it's all very destablizing and anathema to the whole idea of being a college student. Where comes this bizarre notion that colleges should pay student-athletes to attend class or make a certain grade-point average, when most are in easy majors to begin with? It's funny how nobody who favors this idea of paying student-athletes mentions the fact that they're already being compensated in a big way via their free, four-year college education.

But then we all know that many revenue-sport athletes are not really much into academics; they're just part of the professional-commercial side of major-college athletics. The "1-and-Done" BB player makes a mockery of college and college athletics; it's sad that coaches actually engage in it. Who the hell wants to go to all the trouble to recruit a 5-star player knowing he will be gone after 1 year, before he's even begun to reach his potential--and do that every year? It's absolutely crazy. And that NBA clubs drafts all these guys--KNOWING that most of them are years away from being productive/good NBA players, if they ever reach that point--is just stupid. The NBA is full of 1-and-done's who spend most of their time on the bench. It's all pretty crass and corrupt--but then major-college athletics has been that way for years; it's just getting worse now. College is one thing and business is quite another--and those who think that they can be mixed with no problems are insane. And, finally, no college athlete is going prioritize winning a championship with one program/school over taking more money from another school. The money will always win the day. It's all very corrupting.

God you suck lol.

Your being naive if you think Coach Harper pulled in every one of those transfers without help from Spyre.

It's like I said previously - it would take a relatively modest level of expense to build a women's basketball dynasty, and I am fascinated, and perhaps a little unsettled, to see who does it early -- and best.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
It's like I said previously - it would take a relatively modest level of expense to build a women's basketball dynasty, and I am fascinated, and perhaps a little unsettled, to see who does it early -- and best.
The Lady Vols just brought (bought) a top 5 team for this coming season and I'm giddy about it!😎👍

Reactions: Raebo
You obviously don't know the financial situation of female athletics. Which explains your ignorance

VN Store

Back