Watching TAXSLAYER BOWL again

HalfullVol

Ain't it Funky now - JB
Defense played really well until IN QB started getting loose on the scramble. Otherwise D was solid but front 4 wasn’t exceptionally quick or fast. DE’s need to improve or upgrade. Too many offsides penalties as well.

JG -what can anyone say that hasn't been said. TN had many opportunities and we saw bad JG until final moments of game.

TN has to move past him if at all possible. He is the Achilles heel and TN will not be able to score consistently against good teams with JG at the helm. He’s tough as nails but not reliable with one last year to prove himself.

Vols were fortunate last night - Go Vols!

Last edited:
It's obvious we NEED a real QB to take it to next level. JG missed on soooo many passes. ESPECIALLY in the redzone where it counts the most. Unfortunately Maurer didn't do himself any favors either...or maybe fortunately....cuz it leaves the door open for Harrison Bailey to take over. Many freshmen start right away at QB and their teams have success. Bailey should have the same opportunity and we might have that same success.

I have a really dumb question- I thought our jerseys looked a little darker last nite than normal. Watched some of the replay this morning, and again they looked more of a burnt orange (closer to TX) than they used to be. Have I missed something this year? Has Nike done something to darken them? I've watched every game and never noticed this before.

Reactions: govols10302bb
I have a really dumb question- I thought our jerseys looked a little darker last nite than normal. Watched some of the replay this morning, and again they looked more of a burnt orange (closer to TX) than they used to be. Have I missed something this year? Has Nike done something to darken them? I've watched every game and never noticed this before.

Sippin' Santa's uni wasn't too dark!

It's probably your tv.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Many freshmen start right away at QB and their teams have success. Bailey should have the same opportunity and we might have that same success.

Many?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for Bailey to come in here and have a Jake Fromm/Trevor Lawrence/Jalen Hurts kind of freshman season (heck I’d even settle for Tyler Bray circa 2010), but I think by and large starting a freshman at QB is a not so great thing.

Unless Bailey comes in and makes it an absolute no brainer in the spring and fall camp, I say we’re better off stashing him and taking advantage of the new redshirt rule to get him some game action.

Last edited:
Defense played really well until IN QB started getting loose on the scramble. Otherwise D was solid but front 4 wasn’t exceptionally quick or fast. DE’s need to improve or upgrade. Too many offsides penalties as well.

JG -what can anyone say that hasn't been said. TN had many opportunities and we saw bad JG until final moments of game.

TN has to move past him if at all possible. He is the Achilles heel and TN will not be able to score consistently against good teams with JG at the helm. He’s tough as nails but not reliable with one last year to prove himself.

Vols were fortunate last night - Go Vols!

A lot of criticism for TN and esp JG is warranted. But I think it’s also important to give Indiana’s defense a lot of credit and their offense took a lot of lumps from UT’s defense but they kept moving the chains. I half knew that we were gonna see some vintage JG last night so I actually really enjoyed the game esp how the rest of the team basically bailed him out... which is usually what has to happen. Anyway I liked most of what I saw out of Maurer though... I’m hoping next year’s QB room won’t be as confusing as this year’s has been.

Reactions: FïreBall
One thing I didnt get, when Ramsey started running on us, we were only rushing 4. We had been using blitz packages on 3rd down, but also rushing a 5th guy on 1st and 2nd downs. That worked the entire 1st half. We didnt do that for most of the 3rd and 4th qtrs. I wonder why?

Reactions: NATHAN05 and cgrish
Anyway I liked most of what I saw out of Maurer though...

Iirc, Maurer threw the ball four times and three of them were dropped interceptions. I really like his athleticism in the read-option and that throw he made to Palmer rolling while rolling to his right for what I think was a third down conversion was spectacular. He’s just way too confident in his ability to make the right reads right now. He’s definitely got the physical tools, I really think the other things will come with time if he’s willing to put the work in.

Reactions: irish1485
One thing I didnt get, when Ramsey started running on us, we were only rushing 4. We had been using blitz packages on 3rd down, but also rushing a 5th guy on 1st and 2nd downs. That worked the entire 1st half. We didnt do that for most of the 3rd and 4th qtrs. I wonder why?

I think the QB runs were designed to neutralize the blitz. QB draws, scrambles, and screen passes into the teeth of a blitz tend to get the defense on their heels and take away some of their aggression, the playcaller has to adjust and start spying. We spied with Darell Taylor from what I saw and he just wasn’t fast enough. Eventually when we got them into obvious passing situations at the end of the game we were able to go back to the blitz and find success it seems.

I think the QB runs were designed to neutralize the blitz. QB draws, scrambles, and screen passes into the teeth of a blitz tend to get the defense on their heels and take away some of their aggression, the playcaller has to adjust and start spying. We spied with Darell Taylor from what I saw and he just wasn’t fast enough. Eventually when we got them into obvious passing situations at the end of the game we were able to go back to the blitz and find

Taylor has had a lot of success rushing the passer by beating the tackle to the inside. He's good at it. I know twice he got caught inside and their QB just took off around his side. When in man coverage it leaves a pretty open lane to run to.

Reactions: Jauan't Some?
I still say that Tennessee running backs go down TOO easy.

EVEN Gray...watch him run..and then hit the ground in a fetal position before being hit. And to be honest...onside kick he could have run for days.

oh..and Chandler is S. L. O. W.

flak jacket firmly on...but...watch closely.

Last edited:
Many?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for Bailey to come in here and have a Jake Fromm/Trevor Lawrence/Jalen Hurts kind of freshman season (heck I’d even settle for Tyler Bray circa 2010), but I think by and large starting a freshman at QB is a not so great thing.

Unless Bailey comes in and makes it an absolute no brainer in the spring and fall camp, I say we’re better off stashing him and taking advantage of the new redshirt rule to get him some game action.
No-He should be the starter. We should not have to endure another 6 to 7 win season (if that) with JG at Qb.

No-He should be the starter. We should not have to endure another 6 to 7 win season (if that) with JG at Qb.

I’m not saying JG should be automatically anointed the starter. I think Maurer will push him to start this offseason as much if not more than Bailey. With Shrout and Kasim Hill being largely unknown commodities at this point, it’s hard to predict what they will contribute. I sincerely believe Maurer has the tools to start in this offense, he just needs time for his knowledge of the offense to catch up to his skill set and confidence.

What if he is not ready? CJP has said all season, the other two were not ready and JG was their best chance to win. And CJP wanted to WIN verses throwing the season away playing a QB that was not ready. And if he had done what you couch coaches wanted him to do, there would have not been a bowl game for all of us to watch and enjoy last night.

So what if the new guy isn't ready and needs to adjust to football in the SEC? You willing to endure a losing season while someone learns?

Reactions: irish1485

EVEN Gray...watch him run..and then hit the ground in a fetal position before being hit. And to be honest...onside kick he could have run for days.

flack jacket firmly on...but...watch closely.

I think there's a rule that you cannot advance an onside kick and this is why he went down right away

The kicking team may only recover and retain possession of the kicked ball, but not advance it.

Onside kick - Wikipedia

Iirc, Maurer threw the ball four times and three of them were dropped interceptions. I really like his athleticism in the read-option and that throw he made to Palmer rolling while rolling to his right for what I think was a third down conversion was spectacular. He’s just way too confident in his ability to make the right reads right now. He’s definitely got the physical tools, I really think the other things will come with time if he’s willing to put the work in.

That’s probably a more accurate assessment. I should’ve just said that he showed flashes and he does have to make better decisions... I guess I just have gotten used to UT QBs making bad decisions the last few years.

Reactions: Jauan't Some?
Watching that bowl game tells me we need to upgrade talent offensively. That's why i think next year if anything will be marginally better. We're going to lean on that defense( probably too much) unless we figure out ways to create more explosive plays. Gray has some promise but we need a guy that falls down for 3 yards and punishes teams when he runs. Crouch should of got more opportunities in the red zone at least as bad as we were in there.

Heaven help me if I have to see that scrub in a game again, ever.

Guarantano isn't ready. After three years. He won't be ready next year either.

And I don't see BM being ready either. I could see this story play out with BM starting, making the same mistakes he is currently making, and then you all saying ... he has had 2 years ... move to next one.

Or maybe JG starts (... and I for one am fine with that as I think with our two best WR's leaving we are going to need to rely on the run game next year and will still need a QB that can and will manage that type of offense ...), and we have to put up with one more year of this picking apart of JG while we rack up the wins. Then in 2021, BM starts, makes mistakes, you all say ... he has had 3 years ... move to the next one.

This is a record that plays year after year after year ... the backup is always better.

Watching that bowl game tells me we need to upgrade talent offensively. That's why i think next year if anything will be marginally better. We're going to lean on that defense( probably too much) unless we figure out ways to create more explosive plays. Gray has some promise but we need a guy that falls down for 3 yards and punishes teams when he runs. Crouch should of got more opportunities in the red zone at least as bad as we were in there.

Gray will be a legend before he leaves UT ... smh .. the one that doesn't play much is always better to some of you!

flak jacket firmly on...but...watch closely.

He couldn't return the kick once recovered. It's dead.

VN Store

Back