Watch Jayden Springer play tonight

Got another kid who doesn't look to score . There are 5 or 6 kids on that floor who are scorers .. we need to recruit some damn shooters... Springer and JJJ in game nobody will shoot ...
Need to buy one em bigguns.

Montverde is coached better than IMG. Springer didn’t have a good game but he has a solid handle for sure with either hand as a combo guard. Better than anyone we currently have on the team. Hopefully Vescovi improves his handle, strength, and decision-making in the offseason and can handle a lot of our PG responsibilities next year. But Springer has potential as a PG if necessary although not a pure PG.

Reactions: vol94
Montverde is coached better than IMG. Springer didn’t have a good game but he has a solid handle for sure with either hand as a combo guard. Better than anyone we currently have on the team. Hopefully Vescovi improves his handle, strength, and decision-making in the offseason and can handle a lot of our PG responsibilities next year. But Springer has potential as a PG if necessary although not a pure PG.
Springer is 10x the PG Vescovi is at present moment. Vescovi cannot handle the ball well enough to play PG at this level, right now. His TOs are going to get worse as the opposition gets better. His best asset is his spot up jumper, and he won't get to utilize that as a PG very often. He needs serious ball-handling work in the offseason, but I'd bet a lot of money that, right now, he is the SG next season and Springer plays PG. Their respective skill sets really dictate that.

Springer is 10x the PG Vescovi is at present moment. Vescovi cannot handle the ball well enough to play PG at this level, right now. His TOs are going to get worse as the opposition gets better. His best asset is his spot up jumper, and he won't get to utilize that as a PG very often. He needs serious ball-handling work in the offseason, but I'd bet a lot of money that, right now, he is the SG next season and Springer plays PG. Their respective skill sets really dictate that.
Don’t disagree with you. Why I said I hope he improves in the offseason. Unfortunately at the moment, we don’t have a lot of options. He and James have to split these responsibilities. So baptism by fire for Vescovi. Just seems long term he really has to be a PG, both offensively and defensively or he will be recruited over.

Springer likely will be better off the ball and if he is our primary scorer next year, which we all expect, may be a lot to put on his shoulders to both initiate the offense and score. We don’t even know what Bailey brings to the table, but if he proves to be more of an athletic 2 who can shoot, along with Keon Johnson....if Vescovi can’t be that PG eventually than he may be more of a bench situational player in my opinion. I like the kid. Probably my favorite player given the circumstances he was under coming onboard, but has obvious things to improve upon. He isn’t afraid which is a positive attribute. UT would be better served if he can play point next year in my opinion as it puts both Springer and James into better roles. Whether he can is up to him. Springer is a guy you give the ball to when the clock is running out but we may limit his scoring if we require him to run the offense as well.

Reactions: sport3500
Don’t disagree with you. Why I said I hope he improves in the offseason. Unfortunately at the moment, we don’t have a lot of options. He and James have to split these responsibilities. So baptism by fire for Vescovi. Just seems long term he really has to be a PG, both offensively and defensively or he will be recruited over.

Springer likely will be better off the ball and if he is our primary scorer next year, which we all expect, may be a lot to put on his shoulders to both initiate the offense and score. We don’t even know what Bailey brings to the table, but if he proves to be more of an athletic 2 who can shoot, along with Keon Johnson....if Vescovi can’t be that PG eventually than he may be more of a bench situational player in my opinion. I like the kid. Probably my favorite player given the circumstances he was under coming onboard, but has obvious things to improve upon. He isn’t afraid which is a positive attribute. UT would be better served if he can play point next year in my opinion as it puts both Springer and James into better roles. Whether he can is up to him. Springer is a guy you give the ball to when the clock is running out but we may limit his scoring if we require him to run the offense as well.
Only reason I disagree is because by your own admissions we need shooters, next year. Vescovi might be our best shooter, and him playing PG reduces his ability to use that skill. Conversely, Springer's best ability is driving the ball, getting to the rim, and ball-handling. He is also very good at creating for teammates by driving the ball. Their natural abilities seem to dictate their positioning.

Springer will be PG starting wings will be keon at two and JJJ at 3. Pons at 4 and I believe by next year Uros at 5. Maybe Faulky but I believe he comes off bench with Vescovi Bailey JJ Walker. Next year we have alot of options. We can redshirt Gains and Pember like we would have liked to this year.

Reactions: sport3500
Springer will be PG starting wings will be keon at two and JJJ at 3. Pons at 4 and I believe by next year Uros at 5. Maybe Faulky but I believe he comes off bench with Vescovi Bailey JJ Walker. Next year we have alot of options. We can redshirt Gains and Pember like we would have liked to this year.
With the transfer portal, the days of red shirting outside of injury are over. You have to get as many years with a kid as quickly as you can.

Reactions: vol94

I've read a lot that makes me think that Bailey might be a starter at wing. Keon and Bailey might be our yin and yang, defense and offense situational rotation. Need scoring... insert Bailey. Need to shut down somebody like GA's Edwards... insert Keon.

I think that the initial starters might be Springer/Bailey/JJJ. Down low is harder to predict. Who doesn't start between Fulkerson, Pons, and Uros? I'd guess Uros sits at first (except he might be better at getting opening tips). Even ORN could elevate his game in the off season and compete for the post.

IMO the early season starters will be:
Springer
Bailey
JJJ
Pons
Fulkerson

Reactions: ArdentVol
With the transfer portal, the days of red shirting outside of injury are over. You have to get as many years with a kid as quickly as you can.

But with the roster next year, I think that redshirting Pember and/or Gaines makes a lot of sense. I'd bet that minus some form of attrition at least one of those 2 takes a RS in 2020-21. Less likely if Jalen Johnson decides to take a grad transfer and his scholarship is given to post player.

If history proves itself to be true our recruiting class will all be overrated. 5 stars come to UT and disappear.

Maybe gains transfer but Pember I do not believe would leave.

I've read a lot that makes me think that Bailey might be a starter at wing. Keon and Bailey might be our yin and yang, defense and offense situational rotation. Need scoring... insert Bailey. Need to shut down somebody like GA's Edwards... insert Keon.

I think that the initial starters might be Springer/Bailey/JJJ. Down low is harder to predict. Who doesn't start between Fulkerson, Pons, and Uros? I'd guess Uros sits at first (except he might be better at getting opening tips). Even ORN could elevate his game in the off season and compete for the post.

IMO the early season starters will be:
Springer
Bailey
JJJ
Pons
Fulkerson
It will definitely be a good problem to have really good Depth. The reason I believe Springer will start at point is his ability to breakdown a defense in half court O. Vescovi I believe will get better at this as he finally gets in a strength and training program like ours.

If history proves itself to be true our recruiting class will all be overrated. 5 stars come to UT and disappear.

Let’s hope not. Barnes did a great job developing Williams and Admiral. One would think he could make an elite talent even better IF such player accepts coaching.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Maybe gains transfer but Pember I do not believe would leave.

I'll be shocked if either of those 2 transfer. They'll be buried in the depth chart next year, but JJ and Bailey will leave before they are out of eligibility and there's a good chance that JJJ, Springer, and Keon are all gone when Pember and Gaines still have 2 years left. They could be the primary offensive contributors by their senior years. Especially if they each RS a year.

There is too small of a sample size of 5 star men's basketball signees at Tennessee to make an informed judgment of. I can think of only one, Scotty Hopson, that was a true disappointment here. Tobias Harris and Jarnell Stokes were very good players. Harris is having a nice NBA career. He is currently averaging 19.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game for the Philadelphia 76ers. That is hardly disappearing.

Also, does history really mean anything when you have changed head coaches as many times as Tennessee has over the last 25 years? Rick Barnes developed both Admiral Schofield and Grant Williams into pretty good players and they were not even ranked in the top 100 high school recruits in the country in their senior year of high school. You are not the only one here who digs in search of negativity, but you definitely do dig very hard with few specific examples ever given in support of your very negative opinions.

Idiots in the fanbase. Finally get a PG that we desperately need on this team and folks try to run him down. Kid has been here 3 weeks. He is not the fastest player but has every skill that is needed. Hard to run a team that lacks size, athleticism, shooting, and multiple quality ball handlers. Even Florida State knew this before Turner got hurt. This team is fortunate to have Vescovi.

Idiots in the fanbase. Finally get a PG that we desperately need on this team and folks try to run him down. Kid has been here 3 weeks. He is not the fastest player but has every skill that is needed. Hard to run a team that lacks size, athleticism, shooting, and multiple quality ball handlers. Even Florida State knew this before Turner got hurt. This team is fortunate to have Vescovi.
The jury is still out on Vescovi as a point guard. He is not the most athletic. I personally think that he is a better fit at shooting guard and there nothing wrong with that. Time will tell and a year of conditioning could improve his quickness could change this.

The jury is still out on Vescovi as a point guard. He is not the most athletic. I personally think that he is a better fit at shooting guard and there nothing wrong with that. Time will tell and a year of conditioning could improve his quickness could change this.

Better PG than anything on the team. You don't have to be the most athletic. If we had some strong finishers kid would throw more dimes.

VN Store

Back