Was never sold on Chaney

gr82batnvol

Let me start by saying, I don’t think Chaney is completely incompetent. There is a reason why he is where he is. However, I don’t believe he is the “genius” they have made him out to be.
I don’t think he has done a good enough job at coordinating. He is okay at X’s and O’s but we all see the issues with the QBs and the Oline. It is extremely hard to tell on TV but I also think the WRs aren’t creating space and “getting open”. Also, I think he is very predictable in his play calling. I think we need innovation on offense.
We look at Lane Kiffin with how he has handled offense. The year when they were together and the difference we saw in Crompton was definitely a Kiffin improvement. Years after that, I saw underperformance in that position. Take Tyler Bray. He was a gun slinger but I never felt like he developed him into what I believe he could have been. You can put that on the QB coach but isn’t that ultimately the OCs duty? It all starts with the QB. Also, on paper we had a great Oline under Dooley but I remember thinking and reading how we underperformed then as well.
Personally, I think we need to go in a different direction on offense. Georgia fans were not happy with Chaney either. I read a ton of complaints with him, especially in his third season.

Chaney is an excellent OC but not much of a recruiter. We knew that when he was hired. It was a huge miscalculation on the parts of Pruitt and Fulmer. We needed a recruiting OC who could close the elite skill position guys to complement a head coach with a DC background. Water under the bridge now. Hopefully, the next guy doesn't make the same mistakes.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I remember GA fans coming on here after we hired Chaney saying he is not the great OC you think he is and you will soon learn he is a smoke and mirrors guy. I wrote if off as just sour grapes because we stole their OC but turns out they were right.

Reactions: jim43 and FLVOL_79
I remember GA fans coming on here after we hired Chaney saying he is not the great OC you think he is and you will soon learn he is a smoke and mirrors guy. I wrote if off as just sour grapes because we stole their OC but turns out they were right.
Well... he was our OC from 09-12. He needs a competent quarterback to run his offense.

Not to mention the obscene amount of money we are paying him for the results he’s producing.

It is about the QB. JG read correctly, just late by a second, but that is all that it takes in the game. Commentators have made the comment before.

Yeah, all Chaney did at Georgia was produce the highest scoring offenses in Georgia history. Chaney isn't the problem.

When you've got a QB throwing directly to the opposing team's DB's, I don't know what play you can call to prevent that other than just running it on every down.

Also, I wish we had a better idea of the dynamic between Pruitt and Chaney. Chaney could have been advocating for a QB change ever since the failures in the 2nd half of the Georgia game, with Pruitt constantly overriding him with regards to JG. Or, it could be that Pruitt has given Chaney complete control over the offense and it is Chaney that is stubbornly and constantly fielding JG. Either way, it is a failure on the coach's part. However, I sense the former scenario rather than the latter, but this is pure speculation on my part.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
You do know Chaney was here before right? Why would we need dawg fans to tell us about his coaching ability?

there were quite a few people on here who also were not sold on Weinke and Friend.....I place more blame on development at those positions than the OC....IMO of course

Let me start by saying, I don’t think Chaney is completely incompetent. There is a reason why he is where he is. However, I don’t believe he is the “genius” they have made him out to be.
I don’t think he has done a good enough job at coordinating. He is okay at X’s and O’s but we all see the issues with the QBs and the Oline. It is extremely hard to tell on TV but I also think the WRs aren’t creating space and “getting open”. Also, I think he is very predictable in his play calling. I think we need innovation on offense.
We look at Lane Kiffin with how he has handled offense. The year when they were together and the difference we saw in Crompton was definitely a Kiffin improvement. Years after that, I saw underperformance in that position. Take Tyler Bray. He was a gun slinger but I never felt like he developed him into what I believe he could have been. You can put that on the QB coach but isn’t that ultimately the OCs duty? It all starts with the QB. Also, on paper we had a great Oline under Dooley but I remember thinking and reading how we underperformed then as well.
Personally, I think we need to go in a different direction on offense. Georgia fans were not happy with Chaney either. I read a ton of complaints with him, especially in his third season.
I think Chaney is a good OC. He, like any other coach, can only work with what he/they have. Enough said.

He’s limited with JG. He can’t read defenses. He can’t look off. He can’t feel pressure. He can’t step up in the pocket. No football instincts. He’s a head case that can’t be fixed.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

Not sure how you can say that when he’s been under HCs that were DCs and both choose more risk averse/game management QBs.

VN Store

Back