Was Justin Fields way overrated?

Booker512

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/g...nnar-hoak-qb-ohio-state-ryan-day-competition/

I remember when he was at UGA, a lot of their fans criticized Chaney for not basically just giving the starting QB to him or that he was not a good enough offensive coordinator to find a way to utilize Fields....

Maybe he’s just not that good and Chaney figured it out. Lol.

Wasn’t Fields the highest rated player Uga had ever signed? Cuz if that’s true, some rating service got it wrong bigggg time.

Fields was never going to fit that offense, since he was a dual threat and UGA used a pro style, With Meyer out at OSU not sure what style they are using now.

The only thing we know for certain is Fields and his handlers are idiots. Why would a top rated QB prospect go to UGA when they had a Sophomore starter in Fromm who just took UGA to one of it's best years in decades and Eason who is a prototypical NFL QB? If Fields had chosen better a program like ours would have built an offense around him and his potential would have shown. I will admit, he landed well by ending up at Ohio State but what a messy career so far for no real good reason. Shame on the people who advised him to go to UGA and shame on Smart who I assume promised him playing time knowing full well he would most likely get buried in the depth chart.

Reactions: Remy
The only thing we know for certain is Fields and his handlers are idiots. Why would a top rated QB prospect go to UGA when they had a Sophomore starter in Fromm who just took UGA to one of it's best years in decades and Eason who is a prototypical NFL QB? If Fields had chosen better a program like ours would have built an offense around him and his potential would have shown. I will admit, he landed well by ending up at Ohio State but what a messy career so far for no real good reason. Shame on the people who advised him to go to UGA and shame on Smart who I assume promised him playing time knowing full well he would most likely get buried in the depth chart.
Eason had already transferred when Fields signed and Smart sold that “not afraid of competition” angle all top programs employ. Fields is very confident as well as talented. Only issue was no Plan B if he didn’t win the competition against Fromm. Cautionary tale for other top QBs signing up with established starters returning.

Good point. With so many good programs in need of a QB it never made sense to me he picked UGA.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/g...nnar-hoak-qb-ohio-state-ryan-day-competition/

I remember when he was at UGA, a lot of their fans criticized Chaney for not basically just giving the starting QB to him or that he was not a good enough offensive coordinator to find a way to utilize Fields....

Maybe he’s just not that good and Chaney figured it out. Lol.

Wasn’t Fields the highest rated player Uga had ever signed? Cuz if that’s true, some rating service got it wrong bigggg time.

Fromm is really good, was more experienced, proven, and probably a better fit. It seemed ridiculous to think Fields could beat him out, no matter how good he's supposed to be. Now Fields is in a new system and it's not surprising that he hasn't mastered it yet. I'd be shocked if he's not the starter and this could be one of those things where the coach says this to the media in order to get his young guy to take the QB competition/summer more seriously. Obviously, if a coach has to say something like that, it is concerning, but it's not a referendum on his ability.

I think it rarely works out well long term where the coach feels like he has to give the new backup 2 or 3 series to massage the kids ego or live up to his recruiting promises. Fields was disgruntled, there are videos of him complaining walking off the field after games. Then he played the card that he heard a racist word and transferred to Ohio State, you know because Ohio State students and fans I’m sure are all upstanding inclusive people. He worked the system to get out and Ohio State seems like a pretty good landing spot. I don’t think much changes in OSU’s offense with Day being the coach, maybe continuing to pass more like they did with Haskins.

Personally, I think he’ll put up good #’s and Ohio State will win the B1G again. I hope I’m wrong because I despise all things Ohio State.

Like most young college QB's it's too early to know. He has good size, a strong arm and he's a good maybe great runner. His accuracy and intangibles - can't say yet. It wouldn't be surprising if he lives up to his rating sooner or later.

He was a true freshman last year and is in a new offense. Of course he's going to struggle a little.

Yes, this thread has aged well. Fields couldn't have landed at a more perfect spot. It's a marriage made in heaven. All the pieces are there. Fields unlimited ceiling, NFL type players at every position, even the defense. After watching them there doesn't appear to be any weaknesses. I'd say Fields buddy Dwayne Haskins sold him very well..... That and knowing you'll be playing under that quarterback guru, Ryan Day. They might lose a game due to complacency, but I doubt it. They look lose instead of super stressed like they did under Meyer and Schiano.

Dan Wolken is a tool, but I actually agreed with a tweet he had this weekend. He said if your system doesn't fit Justin Fields, then your system sucks.

05, I think Georgia's system obviously works well..... It's just not ideal for Fields. He would be successful at Ga. but it is not really a dynamic offense like OSU where his dual talents can be fully put on demonstration. Georgia's offense is a plodding run oriented scheme. Fromm is a tremendous quarterback and is great for Georgia's scheme but he is not nearly as talented all-around as Fields.... Few are, and I'd even include Trevor Lawrence.

I'm no quarterback expert but the main issue that Fields has is accuracy on long throws, although it's not bad (above average) and he has a cannon for an arm..... His release is not the quickest in the world but not bad either. I consider him a dual threat but he is a better than average passer.

Dan Wolken is a tool, but I actually agreed with a tweet he had this weekend. He said if your system doesn't fit Justin Fields, then your system sucks.

I kind of agree. Alabama has had recent success with pro style run-heavy offense but they had by far the best talent in the country and they also modernized with Hurts/Tua. Georgia did go to the national championship game. Has anybody else had real success with this kind of offense? Or maybe I'm looking at it wrong and the reason teams succeed with college style spread offense is because that's what most teams are running, so odds are, those are the teams that succeed.

It just seems like speed kills in college moreso than in the NFL and spreading the field out is a better way for teams like OU, tOSU, Bama, Clemson, etc. to exploit the differences in talent.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
05, I think Georgia's system obviously works well..... It's just not ideal for Fields. He would be successful at Ga. but it is not really a dynamic offense like OSU where his dual talents can be fully put on demonstration. Georgia's offense is a plodding run oriented scheme. Fromm is a tremendous quarterback and is great for Georgia's scheme but he is not nearly as talented all-around as Fields.... Few are, and I'd even include Trevor Lawrence.
One way a coach can show his true genius is adapting to different personnel. It's probably more important in college than pro because of the greater roster turnover.

As @n_huffhines said above, Saban had his initial success at Alabama with a pro-style, run-heavy offense with a game manager QB. About as "wild" as they got was running some stuff out of the pistol. He's evolved with Hurts and Tua - they ran read option-type stuff with Hurts and now throw it all over the field with Tua. He started to recruit more dynamic QBs, and his offenses have changed to take advantage of that.

The thing with Fields is that he's a great runner but also a pretty good passer. It isn't like he's a RB playing QB; he can throw the ball too. I was curious as to why he even committed to Georgia in the first place, because at the time of his commitment Fromm had that job on lockdown and was just a rising sophomore. Georgia was in a tough position anyway, even if they did have an offense that more naturally fit him. As good as Fields appears to be, it isn't like you can say Georgia made a mistake by going with Fromm.

VN Store

Back