was it coaching that cost us the game or talant.

You can coach kids up and teach all week long, but if they cannot execute and perform on gameday it ends up like last Saturday. The players are not as fast and some are not as talented as Oregon but you have to have a little pride wanting to do your job.

neither, it was LACK of talent.

we have good players, just not enough to fill the 2 deep and our skill position guys have no experience.

I agree we don't have the talent yet to expect a win against a team like Oregon. But I still think Butch did a poor job of using what we do have. Worley in a read option offense is laughable. And why we just don't use a power run game with some play action mixed in baffles me. I'm pretty sure I remember Butch saying he would run whatever offense he needed too.

I've slept on this. The loss was attributable to neither talent nor coaching. I am blaming the fans that trevelled to Eugene. If the had chanted "We don't care how much you score. We're rebuilding" throughout the game we get a different result. Just sayin.

I dont see how people state that the talent gap is that big? According to Rivals our classes have been very similar.

This is the most wrongheaded thing that keeps being repeated around here for at least three reasons.

1. We've had massive amounts of attrition from our recruiting classes.

2. The class rankings have nothing to do with how each individual class fits into the existing team.

3. A talented high school kid can improve A LOT with two or three years of consistent, quality coaching.

It was absolutely the talent gap. I love our boys, but they were grossly out matched. Oregon may be one of the best college football teams I've ever seen. I'm going to call it right now and say that they beat Alabama in the national title game. Those boys can play.

Look at all the walk-ons we have to use. It's incredible. The Kiffin year was almost an entire lost year of recruiting, only 2 of his class still remain.

But also the system Oregon put in place is still there and very successful. It takes awhile to establish that and the players recruited for and tuned into that system.

We did not have the talent. This is going to be a tough year, but we need to stay positive. From CBJ interview today, he all but said our QB will be a freshmen before the season is over. I'm thinking after Georgia one of the freshmen will get a shot. What disappoints me the most right now is our O line. I expect them to be pushing people around and it's not happening.

No we don't have the right qb for his off but great coaches adapt n plan around the talent they have.. what u saw yesterday was a rich rod take 2.. im running my system regardless of talent n if u don't like it tough..

This staff must have a off plan that uses our strengths which is not the big east spread.. if they continue this we r screwed n cbj will have zero support by the end of this season..

U have to adapt to your talent n this staff isn't doing that at this point.
Butch is teaching a system for frosh/soph players and incoming recruits. Good on him. If he were to start by modifying his fundamental plan, then what kind of teaching for the future would he be doing? What message would recruits get?

I'll save my fingers from typing too much and just say: winning morale, conditioning, talent, not just a couple years was oregon great it took a long time to get where they are. They deserved it and even if peyton manning was qb we shouldnt have won that game. We were so much slower, not as talented, and not as aggressive. We will actually have a better chance in hard nose traditional SEC games. and Im a optimistic fan. oregon is just that good. GO VOLS!!

VN Store

Back