Warm vacation destinations for Winter

South Florida isn't warm enough for a winter vacation.

An all-inclusive vacation is the ultimate in stress-avoidance. Beaches et al do it right, but they aren't cheap. You pay for the convenience and ability to do and eat what you want, when you want.

A cruise is another great option, and all the major cruise lines have child care programs.

I've never been to Bora Bora but I'm gonna go ahead and recommend it anyway, because I've seen pics and damn....

I e always wanted to visit Jellyfish Lake in Palau. I've been to a few northern and southern Pacific islands and prefer that part of the world.

As far as the Caribbean, I'd like to check out St. Lucia.

Rented a house in Cape Coral a few years back for a week . Four bedrooms three bath and a screened in pool. The house was on a canal with a dock and boat lift. We rented a boat for the week and took daily boat trips to restaurants, and Sanibel/Captiva. Total price back then was less than 3k for the house and boat rental. One of my favorite vacations.

Got a link to the house you rented?

An all-inclusive vacation is the ultimate in stress-avoidance. Beaches et al do it right, but they aren't cheap. You pay for the convenience and ability to do and eat what you want, when you want.

A cruise is another great option, and all the major cruise lines have child care programs.

Cruise is off the table for me. Multiple family members get sea sick easily.

We have been looking at places with heated pools in Florida so the kids can swim.

Cruise is off the table for me. Multiple family members get sea sick easily.

We have been looking at places with heated pools in Florida so the kids can swim.
Unless you're in a storm you wont get sea sick. Ships are huge and you never know you're even moving. If someone does get sea sick the medic on the ship has the patches that will fix it

If you really, really want to make sure they dont get sea sick you get a room directly in the middle of the ship.

If the kids want to be in the water the whole time then a ship's not a bad option. They can play and you can sit and watch in the chairs. You cant fart on a ship without someone asking you if you need another drink.

Reactions: 1 person
I've stayed in W Palm Beach area in Jan. Some days in the 80's, some days in the 60's. Plenty to do for all ages in that area. Rental rates will be high most places in S. Fl. Personally prefer Fl over Virgin Islands or Grand Caymen just because of the higher prices in the islands.

South Florida is plenty warm during the winter. It was 85 on Christmas this year for crying out loud.

I was so pissed.

How about the desert southwest? Phoenix area or Palm Springs. Stick to the low desert though — high desert places like Vegas still get cold as crap in the winter.

And there's always San Diego. Awesome city and high temps generally stay within about 5° of 70 year-round.

What about fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale, Sarasota?

Sarasota is great, as is the whole TB area. Siesta Key is one of the best beaches anywhere. But you probably won't be doing anything but beach walking in the winter months. Water temps are usually in the low 60s. Lots of good shopping and dining in the area. St Armands circle is one of the best spots for that. The Ringling museum is there, and it is a cool thing to do. The grounds are beautiful. There is also quite a bit of culture to take in. I highly recommend Sarasota over the other two spots you mentioned.

I love George Town exuma Bahamas. Prettiest water I've ever seen.

I was in Nassau for a long weekend in February. Only one afternoon out of four was warm enough to hang on the beach. I'd suggest Jamaica...Beaches Resorts look kid friendly. I watched us kick Wisconsin's butt on January 1, 2008 from Montego Bay. We had beach weather every day for the week we were there.

I was in Nassau for a long weekend in February. Only one afternoon out of four was warm enough to hang on the beach. I'd suggest Jamaica...Beaches Resorts look kid friendly. I watched us kick Wisconsin's butt on January 1, 2008 from Montego Bay. We had beach weather every day for the week we were there.

Montego Bay is a good choice. Most of the resorts there are kid friendly. Margaritaville in Montego Bay is amazingly kid friendly.

Jamaica is awful.. You really get tired of hearing "ya man" also it is really poor and most places are all inclusive.. Usually that means it's not safe outside the walls and the food inside cooked for the masses if average to poor at best

Jamaica is awful.. You really get tired of hearing "ya man" also it is really poor and most places are all inclusive.. Usually that means it's not safe outside the walls and the food inside cooked for the masses if average to poor at best

And the jerk chicken

I will vehemently disagree with that.

I realize certain areas are no go, but its pretty much like that in Nassau, the VIs, Domincan, Turks, etc, etc. Do you want to go wandering down the street in a random, impoverished area? Probably not. But if you stay in a decently populated area and have any sort of sense about you, you will be more than fine.

How long has it been since you went to one? The food was miles ahead of anything I've ever had on a cruise ship.

Last edited:
Turks and Caicos All Inclusive Family Resort - Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa

Beaches all-inclusive resort on Turks and Caicos. It aint cheap. You will never forget it. You get there and never ever want to leave.

Get the guys together leave the wimmin & kids in the waterpark and charter a bonefishing trip. Go be the Lost Boys.
This is where Never-Never Land is.

SLAM DUNK! GAME OVER!

My wife's grew up in Florida, has family and extended family that has lived all over Florida,... Homestead, Miami, Boca, Gainesville, Palatka, Tampa-St.Pete, etc. & so on.
We've had family re-unions, camped, stayed in hotels, condos, B&B's, done Disney til I personally never want to go back (ceptin w/ grandkids ;-) and Key Largo to Key West..

Fav key is Marathon. It's kinda in the middle so you can day trip all points from John Pennecamp on Largo down to Key West. But, there are no real beaches on the keys where you walk in sugar sand into the ocean, just two or three little cove like places, but you need water shoes for the rough bottom. At least my old man feet do.

So, for Florida taking kids.
Tampa down to Sanibel but water in winter is only cold, not burrreeezing! like on the Atlantic side.

Key West avg. winter temps are only in the 70's.
----------------------
Edit:

Grace Bay of Turks and Caicos winter water temps avg near 78. That may still be too cool for little ones.
----------------
https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof.html

Last edited:
I will vehemently disagree with that.

I realize certain areas are no go, but its pretty much like that in Nassau, the VIs, Domincan, Turks, etc, etc. Do you want to go wandering down the street in a random, impoverished area? Probably not. But if you stay in a decently populated area and have any sort of sense about you, you will be more than fine.

How long has it been since you went to one? The food was miles ahead of anything I've ever had on a cruise ship.

2 years ago... The food was like Golden Corral

My family is thinking of taking a vacation this winter and would like to go somewhere warm. We have looked at Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale and Key West. Have also considered the carribean such as Cancun, Bahamas and Jamaica. We are open to anything but have to keep in mind we have small children. 9, 6 and 1 year old children will be on this trip along with 5 adults.

Volnation, help me out here.

Fly into Ft Lauderdale/Miami and drive to Key West.

Break up the trip and stay a night or two in Key Largo or Islamorada before going all the way to Key West.

The drive is amazing, and it's much safer down there than the Carribean destinations.

VN Store

Back