Ward/Majors after 82 Bama win

My first Tennessee game and at the time I really had no idea how big a win that really was. It catapulted us back into the national scene and helped sit the foundation for the next 20 years of Tennessee football. šŸ˜

I was there and thought the world was coming to an end...I have never heard Neyland so loud and the pure insanity afterwards was really something you had to experience to understand...I still have my small piece of the goalpost from that day...We dragged that damn thing down to the strip and wrapped it around a telephone pole and 3 police officers came over and helped us break that thing lol...Man that was a party that night...World fair was in town and out of towners had no idea what the hell was going on...Was a day I'll never forget...What a heart stopping ending!

I was there and thought the world was coming to an end...I have never heard Neyland so loud and the pure insanity afterwards was really something you had to experience to understand...I still have my small piece of the goalpost from that day...We dragged that damn thing down to the strip and wrapped it around a telephone pole and 3 police officers came over and helped us break that thing lol...Man that was a party that night...World fair was in town and out of towners had no idea what the hell was going on...Was a day I'll never forget...What a heart stopping ending!
I was at that game. I had graduated in ā€˜80 and was working in Charlotte. I bought some tickets from Alabama player, whose brother-in-law worked with me. I remember closing my eyes on last Alabama play where they were passing into end zone for win - just figured weā€™d lose our 11th straight to bama. We intercepted to preserve win for Vols. We went down to Last Lap and part of goal post was paraded through there. We also went to the Bavarian House (German bar @ Worlds Fair) and celebrated with packed house to ā€Roll out the barrel, weā€™ll have a barrel of fun...ā€

I remember those 80s haircuts well. lol
Wife and I took her grandparents to the World's fair while her father and I went to the game. Didn't have tickets and he bought a student section ticket and ditched me, typical. I mananged to buy an endzone ticket in upper deck and enjoyed the heck out of it.

A great trip down memory lane. I miss them both.

Thanks Freak. Probably my all time best post on Volnation. I was there. I wish you could dig up something similiar from the Vol victory at Notre Dame and Sugar Bowl victory over Miami (we are soldiers game lol).

My wife at the time was from Sand Mountain, Alabama where EVERYONE is related and all were Bama fans. I watched the game in Flat Rock with my in-laws. They were not in a good mood the rest of the weekend.

FLAT ROCK! Wow, know the area well. Section, Ider, Rainsville, ect.

Reactions: ArdentVol
The Strohaus was never the same! gotta win the next week though. Vols lost to Ga Tech even after CJM had all the players and staff jump off a mattress representing 'cloud 9'. Wound up 6-5-1.

Reactions: esarmstrong
My wife at the time was from Sand Mountain, Alabama where EVERYONE is related and all were Bama fans. I watched the game in Flat Rock with my in-laws. They were not in a good mood the rest of the weekend.
I actually know where Flat Rock is. Play golf at Ms Doris place -Dogwood Hills.
Flat Rock aka Meth Mountain

Reactions: ArdentVol
There was an aerial photo taken over Neyland Stadium that day that also included the "Worlds Fair" grounds and showed the large number of people at the fair. The number of people in Knoxville that day must have been over 1/2 a million.

Thats my #1 win all time. We were living in Birmingham during the streak and never missed a Bama game. When it was over I looked at my wife and she had tears streaming down her face, same here. I felt pretty silly until I looked around our section and everybody was suffering the same emotions. What a great day.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I'll never forget that day. My Dad moved back home that day after working in Wyoming for two yrs since there were not too many good jobs in S Middle TN in the early eighties. The catch is, he rode back with his best friend who was a Bammer, and they had listened to the game on the radio. It put a damper on there relationship for awhile.

Let me guess.... they became friends again around 1986, about the time Alabama won again? Thatā€™s a bamer for you.

know it well, too, as wife is from etowah county, i had moved to tuskaloosa in march of 82 -- listened to game on alabana radio networkb while at work --
one of the best days ever

John Forney & Doug Layton were a Memorable duo. Forney ALWAYS complained about Tennessee's "Pale Orange Jerseys" He couldn't read the Numbers! Eyesight ?? lol OH and Jerry Duncan on the sidelines. Yeah, I had to listen to the CTFN a few times.

John Forney & Doug Layton were a Memorable duo. Forney ALWAYS complained about Tennessee's "Pale Orange Jerseys" He couldn't read the Numbers! Eyesight ?? lol OH and Jerry Duncan on the sidelines. Yeah, I had to listen to the CTFN a few times.

fortunately i could tune in the vol network games at night

Reactions: Dumbledorange

VN Store

Back