War On Pot

Dude, I smoked all the time and then I would go visit my sister for a week and I don't even notice that I'm not using. Try that with any other drug. Try that with coffee or alcohol.

1 in 10 would be a higher addiction rate than cocaine, btw. Only like 6% of people who have ever used are currently addicted (IIRC the data).

Okay 'dude' everyone's different...10% (that's what 1 out of 10 equals), 6% IIRC. potato potatoe. this study vs that study yada yada yada.

Although cannabis use often appears harmless and fun, long-term use leads to the development of cannabis use disorder. Basically, users become addicted to the high. This happens in as many as 10% of regular users (Treatment of cannabis use disorder).

The main addictive component of cannabis is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). The higher the THC content, the more addictive the marijuana is, and the higher chance of developing an addiction.

Cannabis use disorder often leads to consequences like:

• Cognitive impairment
  • Poor school or work performance
  • Psychiatric comorbidity like psychosis and mood disorders

Fewer Americans have developed an addiction to cannabis than to other narcotics. However, it’s important to point out that there’s not a lot of research in this field. The public still widely sees cannabis use as harmless, which is the reason why it is the most used drug of all.

Yes weed is addicting. No I'm not against it in the slightest, but worshiping it and denying facts is detrimental to the cause of education. THC is a cannabinoid, cannabinoids are part of our natural brain process and regulate sleep, appetite and have an effect on mood. So when you smoke your body utilizes these active THC cannabinoids instead of your natural ones giving you an altered metabolism (munchies) and a sleep cycle with little to none REM sleep. If your cannabinoid receptors are overloaded with THC cannabinoids your body will stop producing natural ones as they are not needed. This means when a conditioned smoker quits cold turkey there is a transition phase and minor withdrawals including lack of appetite, sleeplessness, restlessness and irritability. Although minor, these withdrawals are caused by your body not having sufficient cannabinoids to regulate these processes while it transitions back to producing natural ones.

So yes it's real, yes it's minor to many people. As I said 'everyone's different..dude'

Peace Out & Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person
In 2015 half the country was unemployed. (Thanks obama)

When Obama assumed office, the unemployment rate was still rising sharply. It topped out at 10% in October of 2009, hovering just below that level for the next year, before beginning a steady decline at the end of 2010 that persisted into 2016, breaking through the 5% mark at the beginning of 2016.

Reactions: 2 people
Okay 'dude' everyone's different...10% (that's what 1 out of 10 equals), 6% IIRC. potato potatoe. this study vs that study yada yada yada.

Although cannabis use often appears harmless and fun, long-term use leads to the development of cannabis use disorder. Basically, users become addicted to the high. This happens in as many as 10% of regular users (Treatment of cannabis use disorder).

The main addictive component of cannabis is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). The higher the THC content, the more addictive the marijuana is, and the higher chance of developing an addiction.

• Cognitive impairment

Fewer Americans have developed an addiction to cannabis than to other narcotics. However, it’s important to point out that there’s not a lot of research in this field. The public still widely sees cannabis use as harmless, which is the reason why it is the most used drug of all.

Yes weed is addicting. No I'm not against it in the slightest, but worshiping it and denying facts is detrimental to the cause of education. THC is a cannabinoid, cannabinoids are part of our natural brain process and regulate sleep, appetite and have an effect on mood. So when you smoke your body utilizes these active THC cannabinoids instead of your natural ones giving you an altered metabolism (munchies) and a sleep cycle with little to none REM sleep. If your cannabinoid receptors are overloaded with THC cannabinoids your body will stop producing natural ones as they are not needed. This means when a conditioned smoker quits cold turkey there is a transition phase and minor withdrawals including lack of appetite, sleeplessness, restlessness and irritability. Although minor, these withdrawals are caused by your body not having sufficient cannabinoids to regulate these processes while it transitions back to producing natural ones.

So yes it's real, yes it's minor to many people. As I said 'everyone's different..dude'

Peace Out & Go Vols!

It will be interesting to see if the higher THC concentrations found in today's weed will lead to higher addiction rates.

It will be interesting to see if the higher THC concentrations found in today's weed will lead to higher addiction rates.

Actually what it leads to is less herb smoked to catch a buzz, you should try it sometime..

Attachments

• F21D3C4E-09ED-4EBA-BBEE-2768A0E8D5F4.jpeg
    F21D3C4E-09ED-4EBA-BBEE-2768A0E8D5F4.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0

• Cognitive impairment

Peace Out & Go Vols!

Again, not one bit of this matters. Is it addictive? Who cares.

We know for a scientific fact tobacco and alcohol are. As long as those are legal, this argument about marijuana gets thrown out the door as irrelevant. Make all or none legal. Marijuana shouldn't get special consideration. In fact, I bet it can be proven that tobacco is more addictive.

If I had to guess, marijuana would probably fall on the addictive scale about the same place as alcohol. Some people can't handle it, while the majority most can.

as well as more pronounced brain damage and other side effects.

Yep, there's interesting studies and research going on about that...marijuana’s impact on brain structure in humans have shown conflicting results...hey it is what it is...cannabis use disorder is real in some users...'some' need treatment (if they even realize it), again, everyone's different.

Again, not one bit of this matters. Is it addictive? Who cares.

We know for a scientific fact tobacco and alcohol are. As long as those are legal, this argument about marijuana gets thrown out the door as irrelevant. Make all or none legal. Marijuana shouldn't get special consideration. In fact, I bet it can be proven that tobacco is more addictive.

If I had to guess, marijuana would probably fall on the addictive scale about the same place as alcohol. Some people can't handle it, while the majority most can.

agree...take you at your word on those facts, have no problem with this point of view at all

First, presidents don't "grow the economy", the private sector does. The president can only undue damage that has been done to the economy through taxes and regulation. Trump should get some credit for reducing taxes and regulation, but it's not him growing the economy unless you believe that top-down, Soviet style, central planning works.

Second, the war on drugs is an unconstitutional federal make-work program no matter what Congress or the president says. The Constitution gives no authority to the federal government to regulate narcotics.

Third, if you're worried about the effects of drugs you can do what I do, don't use them. I must admit that I do use singular and probably will until some high-schooler figures out how to freebase it. I will then be required to submit fingerprints, show a passport and pee in a cup to get my allergy medication.

Reactions: 3 people
Ignoring laws is not a check and balance. Actually, it is precisely a subversion of our system of checks and balances.

You couldn't be more wrong. If you had an ounce of reason in you, you would see that

(1) not every law can possibly be executed upon, therefore you must choose which ones don't deserve our attention (ipso facto, ignore them)
(2) nothing in the constitution says laws have to be executed upon
(3) executives, LEO's, states, and citizens have been nullifying law for the past 200+ years

Congress had already sort of taken care of this by voting to deny funding to federal marijuana enforcement. Sessions asked them to rescind this last September. It literally has nothing to do with process and everything to do with cracking down on marijuana.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions personally asked Congress for funds to prosecute medical marijuana cases in states where it is legal. The legal sale of recreational marijuana remains limited to a handful of states, but 29 states plus the District of Columbia allow the prescription and distribution of medical marijuana. National polling shows that more than half of Americans favor marijuana legalization, but an even larger majority want the federal government to leave marijuana alone in states where it is legal. This represents a glaring violation of federalism—the notion that states should generally set their own policies free from federal oversight or interference—and the Republican-controlled Congress should have no part of it.

Since 2014, Congress has prevented the Department of Justice from using funds to prosecute state-legal medical marijuana transactions. What was then called the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment (now known as the Rohrabacher-Blumenauer Amendment) is a rider to the Omnibus Appropriations Bill that defunds prosecutions for state-legal medical marijuana offenses. Congress has the constitutional authority, colloquially known as “the power of the purse,” to prohibit government agencies from using tax dollars for particular activities, such as prosecuting federal marijuana violations in states that have chosen to legalize it.

Republicans and Federal Marijuana Policy | Cato @ Liberty

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I guarantee trans fats are worse for your health.

Anything you put in your body will affect it in some way, negative or positive.

not disagreeing. should we ban it all? or do we draw a line somewhere?

You couldn't be more wrong. If you had an ounce of reason in you, you would see that

(1) not every law can possibly be executed upon, therefore you must choose which ones don't deserve our attention (ipso facto, ignore them)
(2) nothing in the constitution says laws have to be executed upon
(3) executives, LEO's, states, and citizens have been nullifying law for the past 200+ years

Congress had already sort of taken care of this by voting to deny funding to federal marijuana enforcement. Sessions asked them to rescind this last September. It literally has nothing to do with process and everything to do with cracking down on marijuana.

Republicans and Federal Marijuana Policy | Cato @ Liberty

That literally has nothing to do with checks and balances. The failure of the DOJ to bring charges against every federal crime is not a check and balance. Besides, this memo is simply allowing federal prosecutors in those states the discretion to pursue charges.

Anyway, this is an absurd argument - par for the course from you. Because even if we lived in your fantasy land were ignoring laws were a check and balance, then it's well within Sessions prerogative to reverse course and choose to not to enact this bizarre check and balance on the legislative. The only people who can effectively halt prosecutions of federal marijuana laws are the people who make our ****ing laws. This is elementary stuff, Mr reason.

Last edited:
not disagreeing. should we ban it all? or do we draw a line somewhere?

Not disagreeing with drawing a line. But the line neds to make sense. Tobacco and Alcohol being legal and marijuana not is not a straight line. Out of those three...one is clearly the least harmful.

Congress is full of worthless pieces of ****. Everybody knows this. Why do you expect this to be a good outcome?

Now the market is much more unpredictable, disorganized, and it's confusing. This will scare away legal growers, which strengthens the black market.

Clock's ticking congress and hog and lv are sure you're going to save the day.

You’re such a whinny baby. A true libertarian.

Reactions: 4 people
So what's Session's angle here? Moral objection? Strict enforcement of the law?

To me, this seems like a states right issue. Much like other moral stances (abortion, prostitution, death penalty) this should be left up to the state to decide.

Out of all the vices and imaginary crimes to throw people in jail for, pot seems like it should be lowest on that list.

I agree, now pressure your congressman and Senators to do their jobs and make it so.

Ignoring it is a valid solution when you have a pissant congress. Why you guys want the process to work in a very specific way is unbeknownst to me. There are checks and balances. We had done a fairly good job to check a congressional mistake. Allowing the mistake again is not a good outcome. There are other ways to handle this, if the objective is to have congress legalize.

I want our government to work as the constitution outlines.

VN Store

Back