Walz named head coach of USA basketball under 19 team

Will this affect Dawn’s recruiting abilities? What is she coach of? It certainly seemed to help.

She's is the next coach for the Olympics, which is why I think she pulled in the #1 recruiting class.

I'm a little frustrated with the USA basketball coaching selections. Looks to me like they call Geno and ask who they should pull from his fan club of coaches to coach their programs. Landing those jobs does huge benefit to those coaches ability to recruit and they get access to players that they wouldn't otherwise due to recruiting rules.

There are PLENTY of great coaches out there that deserve these opportunities.

I think Dawn being named the next coach of the USA WNT was a slap in the face to Kim Mulkey. Kim has won at every level of her career, has the second best win percentage in WCBB, played for Team USA and has more experience. Instead Geno handed that job to Dawn who has substandard credentials in comparison. I suppose it is possible she was offered and didn't want it, but much like the Naismith Hall of Fame I suspect she was just skipped right over.

She's is the next coach for the Olympics, which is why I think she pulled in the #1 recruiting class.

I'm a little frustrated with the USA basketball coaching selections. Looks to me like they call Geno and ask who they should pull from his fan club of coaches to coach their programs. Landing those jobs does huge benefit to those coaches ability to recruit and they get access to players that they wouldn't otherwise due to recruiting rules.

There are PLENTY of great coaches out there that deserve these opportunities.

I think Dawn being named the next coach of the USA WNT was a slap in the face to Kim Mulkey. Kim has won at every level of her career, has the second best win percentage in WCBB, played for Team USA and has more experience. Instead Geno handed that job to Dawn who has substandard credentials in comparison. I suppose it is possible she was offered and didn't want it, but much like the Naismith Hall of Fame I suspect she was just skipped right over.
Thanks. I could not pull that out of my head. And after gino's trashy stunt re Candace, you’d think I would remember the Olympics. Oh wait, I didn’t watch a single minute of a single game; maybe that’s why. Anyway, I do remember Dawn coaching some team and getting girls on it as transfers. It definitely helps recruiting to coach those teams.

Regarding Kim, she seems to have been back stabbed for years, jmo. She must have made someone really angry years ago! Maybe @BUBear can tell us if she ever had any interest as Olympic coach. Looking at her body of work, it is an embarrassment as to the Naismith Hall of Fame that she has been bypassed. Makes one wonder just what the criteria and agenda are🤔. I like Kim, maybe because she is unabashed as to her love and respect for our Pat.

Thanks. I could not pull that out of my head. And after gino's trashy stunt re Candace, you’d think I would remember the Olympics. Oh wait, I didn’t watch a single minute of a single game; maybe that’s why. Anyway, I do remember Dawn coaching some team and getting girls on it as transfers. It definitely helps recruiting to coach those teams.

Regarding Kim, she seems to have been back stabbed for years, jmo. She must have made someone really angry years ago! Maybe @BUBear can tell us if she ever had any interest as Olympic coach. Looking at her body of work, it is an embarrassment as to the Naismith Hall of Fame that she has been bypassed. Makes one wonder just what the criteria and agenda are🤔. I like Kim, maybe because she is unabashed as to her love and respect for our Pat.
There truly does appear to be an agenda. My guess is that in these touchy/feely times that Kim isn't a SJW and won't play the PC game. Kim is just a country girl that loves the game of basketball.

Will this affect Dawn’s recruiting abilities? What is she coach of? It certainly seemed to help.
Zaay was invited to try out for the U19 team per her dad. If she makes it, she may not be able to go on the European tour this summer

Maybe they should have named Kelly.......so you whiners would shut up. Geez. Best coach in America. USA knows who they have coaching their teams, winners. Something we have long forgotten.

Sorry but Kim Mulkey has been far more successful and even played for team USA.

It isn’t uncommon for a coach to coach the U18 then follow it up with a U19 stint which is more of the reason not because he is the best coach in America.

Dawn did the same thing way before Jeff did. Not knocking the man’s skills but while he is one of the top coaches people like Muffett and Kim would also be considered ahead of him. Probably even Dawn too considering she has a championship and been to two final fours. Actually Vic is probably up there too right now ahead of him with all his recent success and the way he has had to reload year after year and the success.

Last edited:
Maybe they should have named Kelly.......so you whiners would shut up. Geez. Best coach in America. USA knows who they have coaching their teams, winners. Something we have long forgotten.

Just wanted to know how anyone could possibly forget when this is your refrain in every post. Also your love for Walz is over the top and you should maybe lighten up on that. He is not the best coach in America as long as Geno,Kim,and Muffet are coaching. Take your own advice and stop your constant harangues. Walz is not coming here and never was.

Reactions: feathersax
There truly does appear to be an agenda. My guess is that in these touchy/feely times that Kim isn't a SJW and won't play the PC game. Kim is just a country girl that loves the game of basketball.

And that’s why this country guy is a Kim fan. She’s a straight shooter. Take it or leave it, she’s not going to apologize and she’s perfectly entitled to have an opinion. People villainize her for it because she’s a woman.

And that’s why this country guy is a Kim fan. She’s a straight shooter. Take it or leave it, she’s not going to apologize and she’s perfectly entitled to have an opinion. People villainize her for it because she’s a woman.

I LOVE the way she sticks up for her players! She defends her turf and that’s for sure.

The only thing I EVER had an issue with was her response to the rape allegations and punch you in the face whole thing. I think THAT could have been handled better but I got what she was getting at that she would send her daughter there and believe she would be treated right. At the time though with everything BU had going on she could have said it a different way as it seemed dismissive of the young lady who put the allegations forward.

But like you said a straight shooter and you’re going to know what she thinks 😃

Last edited:
I LOVE the way she sticks up for her players! She defends her turf and that’s for sure.

The only thing I EVER had an issue with was her response to the rape allegations and punch you in the face whole thing. I think THAT could have been handled better but I got what she was getting at that she would send her daughter there and believe she would be treated right. At the time thought with everything BU had going on she could have said it a different way as it seemed dismissive of the young lady who put the allegations forward.

But like you said a straight shooter and you’re going to know what she thinks 😃

That’s absolutely fair! Could have been handled more delicately, and a poor choice of words. But when you’re opinionated sometimes you’ll have to stick your foot in your mouth.

I appreciate that she lets people know what she’s thinking and like you said, I love how she speaks about her players. She’s truly a “sports figure” not just a talking head or someone who gives the obviously PC response to every question.

How? Staley has been coaching in USA basketball for over a decade after she retired from playing. Mulkey has never coached a US team at any level. Are we certain she even has a desire to do so?

You are correct, there is no information. But it would seem odd that you can’t even find an article about them asking her. Ever. Which would be shocking for how successful she’s been.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
How? Staley has been coaching in USA basketball for over a decade after she retired from playing. Mulkey has never coached a US team at any level. Are we certain she even has a desire to do so?

Just because Kim never coached in USA doesn't mean she can't coach their. Kim is far better coach than Staley, even if she's high on crack.

Reactions: OldNSlow
Dawn has never gotten a transfer from a player as the coach of Team USA. A'ja Wilson is the only SC player that has played for her representing the U.S.

Just because Kim never coached in USA doesn't mean she can't coach their. Kim is far better coach than Staley, even if she's high on crack.

It's not an issue of whether she can, it's an issue of whether she wants to and I don't see any evidence that's the case. I don't think much of Staley's coaching either, but she has paid her dues in USA basketball and has earned the right to coach the Olympic team...

Zaay was invited to try out for the U19 team per her dad. If she makes it, she may not be able to go on the European tour this summer

The European tour is a waste of the UT's money anyway. Highway robbery over the last several years for a program in the red that has produced a stink product. My guess is it helped keep Holly's recruiting success going.

I'm not sure Zaay has the skillset to make it. Her dribbling skills need major improvement as a guard. The question is does she get better practicing with her teammates or with a competitive group trying to make the U19 team.

About the Womens National Team or Olympics...or whatever Staley is coaching. I think there are a lot of better coaches than Dawn Staley to coach that team. Her own teams aren't that fundamentally sound and she has a light coaching resume compared to some. My guess is she is a willing candidate. She also knows what it takes since she played in the games time and time again. No question it helped her recruiting. South Carolina is not a recruiting hotbed on it's own that is why she builds through transfers.

VN Store

Back