Walking on Thin Ice

Two scholarship QB's. One is a 18 year-old kid with reportedly $8 Million in the bank. As an 18 year-old, how would you have handled it? Would you have been mature enough, disciplined enough, to put in the work to reach your potential? Would you coast knowing you've got it made for life? Would you party yourself out of football (like Manziel after he got paid)? If he does coast, what impact will that have on his teammates. What will the Vol program look like if Milton gets injured and Iamalaeva tanks? What if both get injured? What are the chances you get another highly-rated QB in the '24 class? Kind of a scary situation with not much room to navigate. How do you handle the situation if you're Heupel?
Under the previous 2 administrations, I’d be extremely worried, but with the culture that Heupel has built in a short period of time, I won’t panick until absolutely necessary...if we even get to that point.
As far as me being in that situation.
An 18 year old, hot shot millionaire cobbwebb would’ve been an extremely ugly situation with a probable bad ending.

NIL has created a transparent picture of the pecking order for virtually every QB job at every major university. Pre-NIL every scholarship QB was at least perceived to be on equal footing. Each had a scholarship to go to school, money swapping hands was discretely under the table, and there was very little an athlete could do to leverage themselves into a starting job outside of earning it on the field. Today, everyone knows their own NIL value vs the millionaire new kids coming in. We already know the pecking order of Tennnessee’s QB room simply based on the size of NIL deals. That’s why Tayven hit the road. It is going to be very difficult if not impossible for coaches to convince the young 3-4 star making $50k that they have the same opportunities as the 5 star coming in at $2 mil.

Ultimately anyone with options will be looking to the market to determine if they have better opportunities somewhere else.

What if frogs had wings?

Transfer portal is a real thing. If the UT qb job opens up for any reason, quality qb's in high schools and colleges will run over themselves to play in Heupel's system if they have the toolset and Spyre will finance them. I don't see QB1 as a problem in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: JohnD13
What if another COVID strikes and we have guys playing til they are 30? What ifs are as many as fleas on a wild dog and just as attention causing. What will be will be....
I don't think China is going to unleash another pandemic any time soon.

Two scholarship QB's. One is a 18 year-old kid with reportedly $8 Million in the bank. As an 18 year-old, how would you have handled it? Would you have been mature enough, disciplined enough, to put in the work to reach your potential? Would you coast knowing you've got it made for life? Would you party yourself out of football (like Manziel after he got paid)? If he does coast, what impact will that have on his teammates. What will the Vol program look like if Milton gets injured and Iamalaeva tanks? What if both get injured? What are the chances you get another highly-rated QB in the '24 class? Kind of a scary situation with not much room to navigate. How do you handle the situation if you're Heupel?
In this transfer portal Era that's the way it is now

Would you have been mature enough, disciplined enough, to put in the work to reach your potential?

I'm pretty sure God never gave me money because He knew within months I would be dead. It would have come at the hands of one of my weekly escapades of hang gliding, skydiving, base jumping, underwater sea caving, etc.

He isn’t set for life with a payday if 8M. Some of y’all have no concept of $$$. First off he’s only likely to see a portion of it (and the 8M number is pur speculation anyway). Some of it is incentivized to be paid over time and he’ll have to pay a high percentage in taxes. Let’s say he nets 4M over a couple of years. A disciplined person that has worked in a middle-class job for 15+ years and understands how to budget etc. could put that money away and allow it to work for him but a kid in his late teens/early 20s isn’t going to save. He’ll help his family out and spend that money within a few years.

The real money will always be in the NFL. A top 10 NFL pick is likely to get somewhere between 15–20M upfront. That money isn’t incentivized and is paid in a lump sum within 30 days or so of signing that first contract. It would make his NIL money seem like pocket change. And I’m absolutely certain there are going to be people around him communicating as much. I know that it’s just one of the points you made in your post, but to assume a kid like Nico would be essentially damaged by getting a big NIL deal is ridiculous.

Yeah I know we talk about teams being 3 and 4 deep. Not sure that will be the case anymore with transfer portal.Kids don't wanna wait around anymore. As kids hit the door at your Bamas and Georgia's the last few weeks.

Definitely won’t be the norm to be 3 or 4 deep with top shelf talent going forward. You’re gonna have your returning projected started and a hot shot freshman you just signed…if you’re lucky you might be able to keep the HS QB who was the backup the previous year but as we saw with Jackson, he’s not gonna sit a second season if he doesn’t think he can win the job. If you don’t have a projected stater returning you might get a couple portal guys in addition to the HS kid you sign but at least one will transfer out when they don’t win the starting job…Teams are going to have to take some of those super athletic kids and make sure they get practice reps as the emergency 3rd string QB.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
Gaston Moore baby!

Hard to win with a walk-on QB
umm. . .
stetson-bennett-4.jpg

I don't think China is going to unleash another pandemic any time soon.

Have you seen the news in the last few days?? Seems another variant that seems to be traced from "the hot bed of diseases" invading the US right now...

He does not have $8m in the bank.

If nico comes in during mop up duty and looks good It's gna be hard to even recruit a QB for 2024.
Prolly won’t get a top 5 QB, but there will be many options willing to be one play from starting.

Thing is you have to look at potential...
Nico has 8 mill in the bank (albeit with some strings attached I'm sure), but as the No. 1 guy in his class coming into the highest powered offense in college he has to see the earning potential on the back end.
Say he sits most of this year behind Milton and starts as a Sophmore and has a decent year.
Blows up as a Junior and potentially wins Heisman, UT in the CFP, etc. etc.

Kid will go 1st pick in NFL draft and the back end of that deal is 20-25 mill plus a year with endorsements...could hit a payday of 50+ a year in the next 3 to 4 years...THAT is motivation.

I don't think anyone has seen the actual contract Nico is using for NIL but my suspicions are $8 million is the total package amount as in 4 years and $8 million total or $2 million per year, even so much for year one and gradually increasing each year with a balloon perhaps at year 4. I do not know. No way anyone is going to lay that kind of money out front and let a youngster do a dine and dash on them.

Sounds like we have problems at QB that 80 percent of the other teams in the NCAA would love to have.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
NIL is nonsense. You're telling me millions have been paid to a kid who's done nothing yet? What if he--or any high-profile recruit--
is a bust, and many are? About half of the top 100 prospects every year do not have good/notable college careers. Wasted/lost money?

NIL is stupid.
Then that loss is on the companies paying it. Not the university. What's your complaint?

Meh. I can't imagine many of us were disciplined enough to become the best in the country at anything. Nico will be fine.

As for our depth at QB, I suspect that's a problem with most schools. What decent QB wants to be 3rd string with no clear path?

VN Store

Back