Walking on Thin Ice

We probably have one of the best QB situations in the country. That position should be the least of our worries. If you are down to your third string QB then you are going to be struggling unless you are the 49ers.
Yep...give me some DB's and I'm generally pretty good w/ team roster...would love if the incoming frosh TE tears it up. A stud TE, if used correctly, like UGA did this year totally throws a defense off balance.

Reactions: VolPack22
Two scholarship QB's. One is a 18 year-old kid with reportedly $8 Million in the bank. As an 18 year-old, how would you have handled it? Would you have been mature enough, disciplined enough, to put in the work to reach your potential? Would you coast knowing you've got it made for life? Would you party yourself out of football (like Manziel after he got paid)? If he does coast, what impact will that have on his teammates. What will the Vol program look like if Milton gets injured and Iamalaeva tanks? What if both get injured? What are the chances you get another highly-rated QB in the '24 class? Kind of a scary situation with not much room to navigate. How do you handle the situation if you're Heupel?
If you go 3 deep you got problems might as well go with the walk ons we have

Yeah so A. I don’t think he gets 8 mil up front and B I would almost guarantee he will be able to blow WAY past just 8mil if he performs really well.. esp if he could get paid more to go elsewhere lol

Two scholarship QB's. One is a 18 year-old kid with reportedly $8 Million in the bank. As an 18 year-old, how would you have handled it? Would you have been mature enough, disciplined enough, to put in the work to reach your potential? Would you coast knowing you've got it made for life? Would you party yourself out of football (like Manziel after he got paid)? If he does coast, what impact will that have on his teammates. What will the Vol program look like if Milton gets injured and Iamalaeva tanks? What if both get injured? What are the chances you get another highly-rated QB in the '24 class? Kind of a scary situation with not much room to navigate. How do you handle the situation if you're Heupel?
He didn’t get 8 million yet. He will get it per season per semester. Also a third qb will be added to the roster through the portal

Thing is you have to look at potential...
Nico has 8 mill in the bank (albeit with some strings attached I'm sure), but as the No. 1 guy in his class coming into the highest powered offense in college he has to see the earning potential on the back end.
Say he sits most of this year behind Milton and starts as a Sophmore and has a decent year.
Blows up as a Junior and potentially wins Heisman, UT in the CFP, etc. etc.

Kid will go 1st pick in NFL draft and the back end of that deal is 20-25 mill plus a year with endorsements...could hit a payday of 50+ a year in the next 3 to 4 years...THAT is motivation.

Can you provide us with some verifiable proof that Nico got $8 million? And I don’t mean a report from a west coast lawyer who supposedly knew the situation. Thanks.

Reactions: kcvols1
Yeah, I remember when Robinson got hurt and some said we not gonna win another game with Daryl Dickey. The 85 season turned out to be one of the best ever. I think Moore is a good smart QB that knows Hueples system in & out and we are lucky to have him as a 3rd option considering the portal situation killing deep rosters.
Maybe a QB has to be thrown into the fire to turn the volume up to 11.

Step back from the ledge wouldja? Basically every program in the nation has QBs hitting the portal. Of course that means the portal will be full of plenty. From which we'll grab 1 or 2 as needed.
It's a new gen folks. Might as well adjust.

Did y’all see how frustrated Heupel was when Moore threw the interception in the endzone against UT Martin? You better believe his mission is getting every guy in that qb room ready to play.

If nico comes in during mop up duty and looks good It's gna be hard to even recruit a QB for 2024.

It is X amount of $ over X amount of years.....

The Florida kid was getting 13 mil over 4 years.
“Look kid, we’ve got everybody from Mercedes Benz of Knoxville to the bed store, to moonshine mountain cookies wanting to do a tv deal—we estimate you’ll rake in $8 million over the next 4 years. And just to show we’re good for it, here’s a check for $50k. Just sign right here.”

“Look kid, we’ve got everybody from Mercedes Benz of Knoxville to the bed store, to moonshine mountain cookies wanting to do a tv deal—we estimate you’ll rake in $8 million over the next 4 years. And just to show we’re good for it, here’s a check for $50k. Just sign right here.”
Yea that's not how it works

NIL is nonsense. You're telling me millions have been paid to a kid who's done nothing yet? What if he--or any high-profile recruit--
is a bust, and many are? About half of the top 100 prospects every year do not have good/notable college careers. Wasted/lost money?

NIL is stupid.
Bryce Young was a millionaire before he took a snap at Bama.

This is one of the up sides of NIL: not only does it relieve some of the financial pressure that sometimes pulls a college player into the NFL as soon as he can possibly get there, but it actively rewards him for staying another year.

...(though his NIL deal is more than double the NFL rookie "minimum wage," which I find fascinating). The big $$$ will still pull at him.

!
I'm not really disagreeing with you, but if a player goes NFL at the minimum, he can still work out a separate NIL contract (or several) outside of the league minimum. So it isn't just a matter of comparing NCAA NIL vs NFL salary. If his NIL is worth $5M in his new town, he can earn that in addition to his NFL salary.

What if another COVID strikes and we have guys playing til they are 30? What ifs are as many as fleas on a wild dog and just as attention causing. What will be will be....

Keep cashing my checks from my 5 mil a year?? Salary
Don’t worry, be happy!!

I'm not really disagreeing with you, but if a player goes NFL at the minimum, he can still work out a separate NIL contract (or several) outside of the league minimum. So it isn't just a matter of comparing NCAA NIL vs NFL salary. If his NIL is worth $5M in his new town, he can earn that in addition to his NFL salary.
Yeah, that's kind of a moot point. It was never really "which is bigger." We know NFL money is bigger. Pro NIL deals just widen the gap.

The only point I was making was, for the guys who can land them, college NIL contracts relieve the financial pressure to a significant extent. No more do college players, just barely making ends meet, feel the urge to get to the pros to buy their mom a house or themselves some bling. With college NIL, the house is already bought and the bling already being enjoyed to an extent.

In that regard, NIL can actually help some college players stick around if they want to enjoy their senior year. And that can be a very good thing for college football fans.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: BondJamesBond
NIL is nonsense. You're telling me millions have been paid to a kid who's done nothing yet? What if he--or any high-profile recruit--
is a bust, and many are? About half of the top 100 prospects every year do not have good/notable college careers. Wasted/lost money?

NIL is stupid.

It happened to Ohio State with Quinn Ewers. Took the money and ran to Texas--where he sucks.

VN Store

Back