Walking on Thin Ice

LAVol1

Two scholarship QB's. One is a 18 year-old kid with reportedly $8 Million in the bank. As an 18 year-old, how would you have handled it? Would you have been mature enough, disciplined enough, to put in the work to reach your potential? Would you coast knowing you've got it made for life? Would you party yourself out of football (like Manziel after he got paid)? If he does coast, what impact will that have on his teammates. What will the Vol program look like if Milton gets injured and Iamalaeva tanks? What if both get injured? What are the chances you get another highly-rated QB in the '24 class? Kind of a scary situation with not much room to navigate. How do you handle the situation if you're Heupel?

Two scholarship QB's. One is a 18 year-old kid with reportedly $8 Million in the bank. As an 18 year-old, how would you have handled it? Would you have been mature enough, disciplined enough, to put in the work to reach your potential? Would you coast knowing you've got it made for life? Would you party yourself out of football (like Manziel after he got paid)? If he does coast, what impact will that have on his teammates. What will the Vol program look like if Milton gets injured and Iamalaeva tanks? What if both get injured? What are the chances you get another highly-rated QB in the '24 class? Kind of a scary situation with not much room to navigate. How do you handle the situation if you're Heupel?
It is what it is. You're not getting a solid qb to come in and sit to provide an insurance policy. It's Milton, Nico or bust next year. And any team going 3 deep for a qb is in deep doo doo.

It is what it is. You're not getting a solid qb to come in and sit to provide an insurance policy. It's Milton, Nico or bust next year. And any team going 3 deep for a qb is in deep doo doo.
Yeah I know we talk about teams being 3 and 4 deep. Not sure that will be the case anymore with transfer portal.Kids don't wanna wait around anymore. As kids hit the door at your Bamas and Georgia's the last few weeks.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land

I'm not sure there's a good way to handle it. Most programs are going to see a big drop off after #2 at QB. Schools recruit kids like Jackson with the ability to become good starters. They see that they're likely to be #3 in the room... and look for a better opportunity. You'd almost have to recruit a kid every other year with the promise that you'd prepare him to be a starter... for someone else.

Reactions: Old Geezer

NO FAITH IN THE GREAT GASTON MOORE?!!?

Two scholarship QB's. One is a 18 year-old kid with reportedly $8 Million in the bank. As an 18 year-old, how would you have handled it?
Poorly.
Would you have been mature enough, disciplined enough, to put in the work to reach your potential?
No.
Would you coast knowing you've got it made for life?
Yes.
Would you party yourself out of football (like Manziel after he got paid)? If he does coast, what impact will that have on his teammates. What will the Vol program look like if Milton gets injured and Iamalaeva tanks?
Frustrating.
What if both get injured?
Catastrophic.
What are the chances you get another highly-rated QB in the '24 class?
Likely
Kind of a scary situation with not much room to navigate. How do you handle the situation if you're Heupel?
Alcohol.

Thing is you have to look at potential...
Nico has 8 mill in the bank (albeit with some strings attached I'm sure), but as the No. 1 guy in his class coming into the highest powered offense in college he has to see the earning potential on the back end.
Say he sits most of this year behind Milton and starts as a Sophmore and has a decent year.
Blows up as a Junior and potentially wins Heisman, UT in the CFP, etc. etc.

Kid will go 1st pick in NFL draft and the back end of that deal is 20-25 mill plus a year with endorsements...could hit a payday of 50+ a year in the next 3 to 4 years...THAT is motivation.

NIL is nonsense. You're telling me millions have been paid to a kid who's done nothing yet? What if he--or any high-profile recruit--
is a bust, and many are? About half of the top 100 prospects every year do not have good/notable college careers. Wasted/lost money?

NIL is stupid.

NIL is nonsense. You're telling me millions have been paid to a kid who's done nothing yet? What if he--or any high-profile recruit--
is a bust, and many are? About half of the top 100 prospects every year do not have good/notable college careers. Wasted/lost money?

NIL is stupid.

I am sure there are provisions in the contract for that scenario.

Nobody knows how that 8 million is being distributed to him. I don’t either, It could be structured a number of ways and I doubt they are going to let the public know nor should they. There are contracts involved, people are making a lot of assumptions that they just handed over 8 million but I highly doubt it was structured that way. GBO

Reactions: PureOrange
I think it has been mentioned that we will take a look at adding a depth piece after the Spring practice shakeouts happen.

If Nico busts, you grab a QB from the portal next year. Easier to do with him being a bust.

Reactions: Sara Clark

VN Store

Back