Wake Forest hires Steve Forbes

Fulmer hired somebody with zero experience for the football coach.

It is not a cheap thing. It is not bargain hunting. Coaches make too much money other places to leave. All other schools have the same problem.
I could see Steve Forbes leaving WF for Tennessee when Rick Barnes retires in 3-4 seasons.

So even with those points you think if we did hire her you truly think we should revolt like we did with Schiano? I thought UT revolted against the Schiano hire because he allegedly knew of child rape?
Well, don't overthink it. I'm not trying to compare the circumstances of why fans should object. Just that the level of desperation it would seem to project should be equally protested.

And make no mistake, Tennessee fans rejected the Schiano hire because it was a terrible hire. The alleged knowledge of Jerry Sandusky and his involvement with child abuse was merely the justification needed to warrant enough outrage to reverse an already awful decision. If we were hiring Urban Meyer and it came out that he may/may not have known anything, most fans probably look the other way.

Well, don't overthink it. I'm not trying to compare the circumstances of why fans should object. Just that the level of desperation it would seem to project should be equally protested.

And make no mistake, Tennessee fans rejected the Schiano hire because it was a terrible hire. The alleged knowledge of Jerry Sandusky and his involvement with child abuse was merely the justification needed to warrant enough outrage to reverse an already awful decision. If we were hiring Urban Meyer and it came out that he may/may not have known anything, most fans probably look the other way.

I guess it depends. Like if Barnes retired in June and then Lawson was hired not a big deal to me or shows desperation (or it is desperate since the timing would be awful and understandable).

And I know that was sarcasm. I'm not getting into my feelings on the Schiano it is not popular.

Why? If we hired her tomorrow that would not be good but in five years down the road if she gets promoted and she gets to be on the bench as a top 3 assistant working under Brad Stevens? Thats a good opportunity.
I’m surprised at the response. I’d love to have her as a coach here.

I’m surprised at the response. I’d love to have her as a coach here.
Based on what though, Dallas? That she played at Tennessee? That you've seen her on ESPN? I mean, what gives you the impression that she could win here coaching the men's team? She has almost no coaching experience, at all.

We make fun of Memphis for hiring Penny Hardaway, whose only coaching experience was at the high school level, and that still makes him infinitely more qualified.

Jerry Stackhouse seemed like such a reach for Vandy because of his only experience was as a coach in the D-League.

Both of those guys had some level of head coaching experience and their names each carry infinitely more clout than Kara Lawson's name does. The idea of hiring her is completely preposterous and just wreaks of homerism and fanboy mentality. If Swin Cash had 40 games as an assistant coach for the Boston Celtics as her coaching resumé and someone suggested she possibly be the replacement for Rick Barnes, they'd be laughed out of the room.

Based on what though, Dallas? That she played at Tennessee? That you've seen her on ESPN? I mean, what gives you the impression that she could win here coaching the men's team? She has almost no coaching experience, at all.

We make fun of Memphis for hiring Penny Hardaway, whose only coaching experience was at the high school level, and that still makes him infinitely more qualified.

Jerry Stackhouse seemed like such a reach for Vandy because of his only experience was as a coach in the D-League.

Both of those guys had some level of head coaching experience and their names each carry infinitely more clout than Kara Lawson's name does. The idea of hiring her is completely preposterous and just wreaks of homerism and fanboy mentality. If Swin Cash had 40 games as an assistant coach for the Boston Celtics as her coaching resumé and someone suggested she possibly be the replacement for Rick Barnes, they'd be laughed out of the room.
She coaches in the NBA. don’t know if you’ve heard of it before. She obviously knows what she is doing.

She coaches in the NBA. don’t know if you’ve heard of it before. She obviously knows what she is doing.
That's your proof that she'd be a good hire for a men's NCAA team? Because the NBA and college game and program management are soooo similar, right?

We're done here if that is your sole justification.

Wake Forest coach Steve Forbes shades Kentucky academics in recruiting pitch to retain Olivier Sarr

Olivier Sarr didn't go to college to get a degree if you know what I mean so it really doesn't matter to him where he goes because he'll be in the NBA after the 2020-2021 season.:rolleyes: I guess CBS Sports thinks all men's college basketball coaches worship Kentucky like they do.:rolleyes: I want Coach Forbes to succeed Rick Barnes as head basketball coach at Tennessee because he's got the correct attitude concerning Kentucky!:cool:

Wake Forest coach Steve Forbes shades Kentucky academics in recruiting pitch to retain Olivier Sarr

Olivier Sarr didn't go to college to get a degree if you know what I mean so it really doesn't matter to him where he goes because he'll be in the NBA after the 2020-2021 season.:rolleyes: I guess CBS Sports thinks all men's college basketball coaches worship Kentucky like they do.:rolleyes: I want Coach Forbes to succeed Rick Barnes as head basketball coach at Tennessee because he's got the correct attitude concerning Kentucky!:cool:
If he's considered/hired when Barnes retires (which I think will be closer to 7-10 years, not 2-3 everyone seems to throw out there) I just pray he doesn't do another one of those stupid videos. Who thought that was a good idea?!

Will he?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
If he's considered/hired when Barnes retires (which I think will be closer to 7-10 years, not 2-3 everyone seems to throw out there) I just pray he doesn't do another one of those stupid videos. Who thought that was a good idea?!
For the sake of not damaging the respect I have for Forbes, I’m going to just assume Currie forced him to do that.

That's your proof that she'd be a good hire for a men's NCAA team? Because the NBA and college game and program management are soooo similar, right?

We're done here if that is your sole justification.
If she got a GLEAGUE coaching job next season and 4 years later we hire her you’d be mad at that?

Why? If we hired her tomorrow that would not be good but in five years down the road if she gets promoted and she gets to be on the bench as a top 3 assistant working under Brad Stevens? Thats a good opportunity.

As unlikely as I consider the prospect, I wouldn’t completely rule out the possibility of a female head coach running a men’s program at Tennessee at some point in the next century. That being said, a community college in Minnesota just hired the first female head coach of a men’s collegiate basketball team in the country several weeks ago and I’ll be interested to see how that shakes out at the NJCAA’s D3 level.

Mesabi Range is a far cry from even a D3/D2 NCAA school, so forgive me for suggesting that none of the 353 Division 1 programs are “ready” for a female head coach. I’m sure it’ll happen in the next two decades and we can observe how that program’s recruiting/fundraising/on-court performance goes, but Tennessee is a top-flight program and absolutely not the kind of school that needs to be a trailblazing guinea pig.

Fulmer hired somebody with zero experience for the football coach.

It is not a cheap thing. It is not bargain hunting. Coaches make too much money other places to leave. All other schools have the same problem.

Yes he did. But, unlike Hamilton and Hart, Fulmer was an actual coach and recognizes one when he sees one. Pruitt is already a better coach than Kiffin, Dooley, and Butch were. If he hadn't stepped in when he did, Currie was about to hire a clown who is famous for his goofy press conferences.

Reactions: sport3500
I could see Steve Forbes leaving WF for Tennessee when Rick Barnes retires in 3-4 seasons.

I do not believe Barnes is that close to retirement. 65 is the new 45 in basketball coaching these days. Coach K is 74. Roy Williams is 70. Jim Boeheim is 76. And Barnes is probably in better health than all of them. If he wanted to retire, he would've done so after being let go by Texas, IMO.

If she got a GLEAGUE coaching job next season and 4 years later we hire her you’d be mad at that?
Yeah, I would. I am not a fan of hiring anyone without any college coaching experience, with VERY few exceptions. The NBA/GLeague/Euro ball and college basketball are similar only in the fact that they put a round ball inside a larger round hole.

Additionally, I don't think Tennessee needs to be the school taking the chance in breaking the gender barrier. There is so much risk in that if she fails. It could set the program back a decade, or more. The idea of Pat Summitt taking over 20 years ago seemed slightly less outrageous following the consecutive stints of Wade Houston and Kevin O'Neill, and our program basically being an afterthought. Summitt also had significantly more name recognition and clout than Kara Lawson. She was the Phil Jackson of women's basketball and also knew what it took, as a coach of the most successful women's program in history, to succeed in the world of recruiting and on the court in the college game.

Right now, Tennessee basketball is potentially entering into a period of unparalleled success. We have the right coach, and he's recruited the right players to take us to a level of sustained success that we have probably only seen one other time in our history. If he retires in 5 years, what would be the motivating force behind taking perhaps the single largest coaching hire gamble in the history of American sports? We don't need to do that, we shouldn't do that, and Kara Lawson can't hardly do enough in the next 5 years to change things enough to convince me otherwise. This isn't me being sexist. This is me weighing the risk vs reward, and in this case, the risk heavily outweighs the reward.

Yeah, I would. I am not a fan of hiring anyone without any college coaching experience, with VERY few exceptions. The NBA/GLeague/Euro ball and college basketball are similar only in the fact that they put a round ball inside a larger round hole.

Additionally, I don't think Tennessee needs to be the school taking the chance in breaking the gender barrier. There is so much risk in that if she fails. It could set the program back a decade, or more. The idea of Pat Summitt taking over 20 years ago seemed slightly less outrageous following the consecutive stints of Wade Houston and Kevin O'Neill, and our program basically being an afterthought. Summitt also had significantly more name recognition and clout than Kara Lawson. She was the Phil Jackson of women's basketball and also knew what it took, as a coach of the most successful women's program in history, to succeed in the world of recruiting and on the court in the college game.

Right now, Tennessee basketball is potentially entering into a period of unparalleled success. We have the right coach, and he's recruited the right players to take us to a level of sustained success that we have probably only seen one other time in our history. If he retires in 5 years, what would be the motivating force behind taking perhaps the single largest coaching hire gamble in the history of American sports? We don't need to do that, we shouldn't do that, and Kara Lawson can't hardly do enough in the next 5 years to change things enough to convince me otherwise. This isn't me being sexist. This is me weighing the risk vs reward, and in this case, the risk heavily outweighs the reward.
not calling you sexist, just surprised you’re not as open to the idea as some are.

not calling you sexist, just surprised you’re not as open to the idea as some are.
Didn't mean to insinuate you believed I was being sexist. Just wanted to get it out there that I'm not particularly opposed to women running basketball programs if they are the most qualified candidate and it isn't some forced initiative. I just can't see what Kara Lawson could possibly do in 5 years time to make her the most qualified available candidate to run one of the three best programs in the SEC.

What's interesting is that Gary Parrish of CBS Sports said yesterday on his radio show that Forbes' pitch was actually good and correct. Sarr is not an automatic NBA player, considering he is having to play 4 years, and a degree from WF is much better than UK. He said WF was 27th in US&WR rankings. Parrish said that if his son were a fringe top 50+ player, then he would advise him to play in the 6 top 20 P5 academic schools. That way, you get the best of both worlds.

Chris is really right when he says she just doesn't and won't have the credentials to even be a blip on the radar. I doubt hardly anyone would care what gender you are or what school you went to if you do indeed have credentials. Which Lawson does not.

Didn't mean to insinuate you believed I was being sexist. Just wanted to get it out there that I'm not particularly opposed to women running basketball programs if they are the most qualified candidate and it isn't some forced initiative. I just can't see what Kara Lawson could possibly do in 5 years time to make her the most qualified available candidate to run one of the three best programs in the SEC.
That’s fair.

VN Store

Back