'20 WA OLB Sav'ell Smalls

To follow up on that, Price said in the VQ podcast that UT is likely going to try to get a ton of their in-state targets and several west coast guys to come for the cookout on that last week of July after the dead period ends

One of the nation's top prospects is planning to visit Tennessee for the first time in the coming weeks. Five-star Class of 2020 linebacker/defensive end Sav'ell Smalls of Kennedy Catholic High School in Burien, Wash., told the "Sports Stars of Tomorrow" TV show that he's scheduled to travel to Florida State and Tennessee later this month after the ongoing dead period for recruiting. "At the end of the month, I'll be going to Florida State and Tennessee," he told the TV show.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pound Smalls is ranked the No. 4 overall prospect and No. 1 outside linebacker in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite for the 2020 class. He announced a top 12 in February that didn't include Tennessee, but the Vols recently have become more of a factor in his recruitment. Tight ends coach Brian Niedermeyer, who was 247Sports' national recruiter of the year for the 2019 class, is recruiting Smalls for Tennessee, along with Chris Rumph, the Vols' co-defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach.

In an interview posted early Friday morning on the official Twitter account for "Sports Stars of Tomorrow," Smalls said he's intrigued by Tennessee because "Coach Pruitt's there," referring to second-year head coach Jeremy Pruitt. "He's the head coach and he's, like, the outside-linebacker master," Smalls told the TV show. "He's an expert about defense. He's a defensive guru, and he really develops pass rushers like no other. And that's a big plus, being the head coach. And Tennessee's up-and-coming." Niedermeyer traveled to Parkland, Wash., on June 15 for the Pacific Lutheran University 11-on-11 high school football tournament and showcase, where he got a chance to work with Smalls.

Florida State also hosted Smalls on a visit last year, and the Seminoles made a good impression on him while he was there. He also has a connection to the program in sophomore wide receiver Tre'Shaun Harrison, who played with Smalls at Seattle's Garfield High School. "I like Florida State, just the culture they've got," Smalls said. "My ex-teammate, Tre'Shaun Harrison, is down there, so I got to know a lot about them. I took a visit last year, and just the culture was crazy. I love the culture."

Smalls told the TV show that he's still "at a top 12 right now," referring to the group of favorites he released more than five months ago. Alabama, Florida, Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Washington, Clemson, Florida State, Texas A&M and Washington State made his list of top contenders at the time. But he said during Thursday's interview that "very soon I'll be dropping a top six," adding that it could be released within "a couple weeks."

hmmmm. don't want to get excited, but that's certainly good news....

Sounds like genuine interest from Smalls... I was wondering if Pruitt would be a draw for elite defensive prospects... seems he is to a degree...
i think he gets a ton of interest because everybody knows who he is and where he's been and what he's done as DC and who's he's coached and gone on to the NFL.

the problem i think is sitll the negatiave recruiting. look at the HC's he's coached for (and who he's now recruiting against, save MR). then there's teh stain of TN football the past decade , and the recent debacles of the last two seasons.

if we could just over acheive a little bit this year, get a few guys drafted again, and give pruitt and co. some "proof of the pitch", i think things could really take off on recruiting. still a whole lotta wait and see out there. which his fine, don't blame them.

just sucks....you know...to wait and see....again.

i think he gets a ton of interest because everybody knows who he is and where he's been and what he's done as DC and who's he's coached and gone on to the NFL.

the problem i think is sitll the negatiave recruiting. look at the HC's he's coached for (and who he's now recruiting against, save MR). then there's teh stain of TN football the past decade , and the recent debacles of the last two seasons.

if we could just over acheive a little bit this year, get a few guys drafted again, and give pruitt and co. some "proof of the pitch", i think things could really take off on recruiting. still a whole lotta wait and see out there. which his fine, don't blame them.

We just need to get the ball rolling. Once it does, it will be hard to negative recruit against this staff. They are winners, but more importantly they are players coaches.

Spot on Jake.

We just need to get the ball rolling. Once it does, it will be hard to negative recruit against this staff. They are winners, but more importantly they are players coaches.
well, yeah, that's the wait and see part.

Reactions: KBVol
Awesome to see this guy praising Pruitt. I think getting him is a huge long shot. But if, and its a huge if, we surprise this season, we may be able to pull him. This guys and Sewell? I mean

IMG_0403.JPG

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
From https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...otball-visit-outside-linebacker-master5-star/

Sav’ell Smalls, five-star prospect is rated as the nation’s No. 4 overall prospect and the No. 1 outside linebacker. In a recent interview with “Sports Star of Tomorrow,” Smalls announced he planned to visit Tennessee before the upcoming season begins. When asked about his interest in the Vols, Smalls immediately pointed to Pruitt and the prospect of playing for one of the best defensive coaches in the nation.

Coach Pruitt is here, he’s the head coach, and he’s the outside linebacker master,” Smalls said. “He knows everything about defense, he’s a defensive guru and he really develops pass rushers like no other. That’s a big plus being the head coach — and Tennessee up and coming.”

Video on the link.

I know guys always speak positively but I gotta say it feels good for the creme de la creme of recruits to be referring to our coaches as football gurus and masterminds again. That hasnt happened in a long time really. The fact that this guy is now i going to visit officially after not even making the list before is awesome indeed. I dont know what this year will hold but I do keep getting more positive for UT's football future with this current staff. And whatever we are paying Neidermeyer is not nearly enough.

Five-star LB/DE plans to take first look at Vols soon

Last edited:

VN Store

Back