Volunteer State Community College

Vol St does hv sports basketball and baseball both programs are solid. Baseball is more prominent than basketball and they've had guys in baseball hp to Vandy and MTSU off the top of my head.
Their baseball program is currently on life support

Tennessee used to have prep schools where you would go to bring your grades up and take remedial classes if they were not up to snuff when you graduated high school or if you had potential but we’re undersized or needed development.

UT would send players to Tennessee Military Institute in Sweetwater to get unqualified players eligible. Dale jones was one.
I’m not sure why that system when away, but I think it has to do with the economics of running those schools after the state created the public community college system. I think TMI closed in the 80s or 90s.

My grandfather went to TMI. Played basketball. I wish it was still around. Would have love to have gone there.

Reactions: Grudenhaslanded
Vol st doesnt have sports programs especially football
Pellisippi St is the only Jr College in the state that I'm aware of that doesn't have sports programs. Kind of odd as it seems like a good location to draw some talent, although Walters St would probably rail against it for baseball purposes.

Like you, I am not aware of too many JUCO football programs EAST of the Mississippi River. However, every JUCO in the State of Mississippi has a football program and they are very competitive each and every year - Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (MGCCC) in Parkinson, MS won the 2019 JUCO Football Championship and East Mississippi Community College won it a number of times between 2010 nd 2020.

I was wondering why the larger community colleges in Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama don't have similar programs? Here in Mississippi JUCO football is a real cash cow for the schools and the games are very well attended. As a bonus, some of the JUCO marching bands down here would blow a many 4-year college bands off the field in competition.
I think TN, GA, and AL attempt to educate their youth prior to college.

My grandfather went to TMI. Played basketball. I wish it was still around. Would have love to have gone there.

No you wouldn't have.

We used to play TMI in football, baseball, basketball in the late 80's as they were in our district. We went to football camp there my junior year and we stayed in the dorms for a week. What a nasty rundown piece of crap that place was. We literally saw a couple of roaches chasing a rat with a pizza crust in it's mouth.

I had some friends that got put in there by their parents hoping it would straighten them out. Everybody always thought that it was an actual military school and you got to shoot rifles and do military training, etc. Couldn't be further from the truth. It was basically your last chance before juvenile hall. It was full of drugs, drug dealers and lazy slack youth who didn't give a crap about anything. They didn't do drills, or teach military anything according to my friends. It was basically daycare for teens.

Vol St does hv sports basketball and baseball both programs are solid. Baseball is more prominent than basketball and they've had guys in baseball hp to Vandy and MTSU off the top of my head.

I went to Vol State’s winter camp a few times in my youth. They were solid instructors and a few of the players helping out were going to 4 year schools after their semester wrapped up. I enjoyed it a lot.

Edit: winter baseball camp

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol
No you wouldn't have.

We used to play TMI in football, baseball, basketball in the late 80's as they were in our district. We went to football camp there my junior year and we stayed in the dorms for a week. What a nasty rundown piece of crap that place was. We literally saw a couple of roaches chasing a rat with a pizza crust in it's mouth.

I had some friends that got put in there by their parents hoping it would straighten them out. Everybody always thought that it was an actual military school and you got to shoot rifles and do military training, etc. Couldn't be further from the truth. It was basically your last chance before juvenile hall. It was full of drugs, drug dealers and lazy slack youth who didn't give a crap about anything. They didn't do drills, or teach military anything according to my friends. It was basically daycare for teens.

hahaha I'll have to ask him about that

When did he go there? It once was a legit Military Training High School and College from what I understand. I do not know when that ended.

Went to Wikipedia and found some info. Stopped military in 1975 and they closed in 1988 (which was my HS graduation year)

TMI Academy[edit]

The main building, built in 1909, as it appeared in 2009.
In 1975, the school ceased being a military academy, becoming a traditional secondary school/college preparatory school, though still a boarding school. To reflect this, the name of the school was changed to TMI Academy. Curriculum started as early as fifth grade some years, continuing through twelfth grade. Some years a "post-graduate" curriculum was also offered. Due to financial problems, TMI finally closed for good in 1988 after 114 years of continuous operation. This was in spite of financial backing from actor Burt Reynolds, whose nephew attended the school.

Later years[edit]

The iconic sign at the entrance to Tennessee Military Institute as it looked in 2010. It was changed to read "TMG" while Tennessee Meiji Gakuin operated on the campus. Here, it was temporarily changed back to "TMI" by alumni holding a reunion at the school.
The campus was acquired by Tennessee Meiji Gakuin High School (TMG) and opened as such in 1989. Due to declining enrollment TMG closed in 2007.[5] In 2011, the campus was given as a gift to a group called the Sweet Water Sustainability Institute.[6] The validity of this transaction was later successfully challenged in court, and ownership of the property was transferred to Enota Institute Inc.

The campus has been vacant since 2007, and the buildings have fallen into disrepair. In 2015, the campus was included on the annual "Endangered Heritage" list of the East Tennessee Preservation Alliance as an endangered historic building and/or place.[7] Not surprisingly based on its age, the abandoned campus has drawn the attention of devotees of the supernatural.[8]

In April 2017, Paul Gaffney, formerly of the Harlem Globetrotters, announced plans to acquire the campus and open the Gaffney Athletics Prep Academy. According to Gaffney, it would be the first charter high school to combine an emphasis on athletics with science, technology, engineering, and math, with projected enrollment of 600 students. [9] However, these plans quickly fell through. [10]

Uh...Vol State has baseball and basketball, to name two, at the main campus in Nashville. The satellite campuses, such as in Cookeville, will not.

Vol State is in Gallatin. Nashville State is in Nashville. One has sports programs. One does not.

The Tennessee Board of Regents oversees the Tennessee Community College System with the following schools in the system:

1. Nashville State C.C.- Nashville, TN- NO ATHLETICS
2. Roane State C.C.- Crossville, TN
3. Columbia State C.C.- Columbia, TN
4. Chattanooga State C.C.- Chattanooga, TN
5. Volunteer State C.C.- Gallatin, TN
6. Cleveland State C.C.- Cleveland, TN
7. Dyersburg State C.C.- Dyersburg, TN
8. Jackson State C.C.- Jackson, TN
9. Motlow State C.C.- Tullahoma, TN
10. Northeast State C.C.- Blountville, TN- NO ATHLETICS
11. Pellisssippi State C.C.- Knoxville, TN- NO ATHLETICS
12. Southwest C.C.- Memphis, TN
13. Walters State C.C.- Morristown, TN

None of the 10 community colleges in Tennessee that offer athletics have ever offered football. Some NAIA schools do, but not all.

This is easy stuff ya'll. No charge this time.

Vol State is in Gallatin. Nashville State is in Nashville. One has sports programs. One does not.

The Tennessee Board of Regents oversees the Tennessee Community College System with the following schools in the system:

1. Nashville State C.C.- Nashville, TN- NO ATHLETICS
2. Roane State C.C.- Crossville, TN
3. Columbia State C.C.- Columbia, TN
4. Chattanooga State C.C.- Chattanooga, TN
5. Volunteer State C.C.- Gallatin, TN
6. Cleveland State C.C.- Cleveland, TN
7. Dyersburg State C.C.- Dyersburg, TN
8. Jackson State C.C.- Jackson, TN
9. Motlow State C.C.- Tullahoma, TN
10. Northeast State C.C.- Blountville, TN- NO ATHLETICS
11. Pellisssippi State C.C.- Knoxville, TN- NO ATHLETICS
12. Southwest C.C.- Memphis, TN
13. Walters State C.C.- Morristown, TN

None of the 10 community colleges in Tennessee that offer athletics have ever offered football. Some NAIA schools do, but not all.

This is easy stuff ya'll. No charge this time.

I'm well aware of where Vol State is headquartered. My son is in dual enrollment at Vol State.

And since this stuff is so easy, you might want to amend your list. Roane State's main campus is actually in Harriman.

I'm well aware of where Vol State is headquartered. My son is in dual enrollment at Vol State.

And since this stuff is so easy, you might want to amend your list. Roane State's main campus is actually in Harriman.

So he's going to Vol State in Nashville? I don't think so.

Got me on Roane State. Live by the Google, Die by the Google......There is at least a satellite campus in Crossville for Roane State.

1581365288539.png

You gotta admit, this is a pretty ridiculous thread for Tennessee fans and mostly Tennessee residents to be discussing JUCO football in Tennessee. Which doesn't exist. And we're on page 2.

So he's going to Vol State in Nashville? I don't think so.

Got me on Roane State. Live by the Google, Die by the Google......There is at least a satellite campus in Crossville for Roane State.

View attachment 260625

You gotta admit, this is a pretty ridiculous thread for Tennessee fans and mostly Tennessee residents to be discussing JUCO football in Tennessee. Which doesn't exist. And we're on page 2.

Correct, but satellite campus. They have atleast 8 satellite campuses in the surrounding counties. It's Roane State, for Roane County. Harriman. It was a legit question for the OP. Just didn't hold water.

And no, mine is dual enrollment. He's a HS Junior. He doesn't go anywhere, even though there is a Cookeville campus. He does his classes online at HS. I guess I under estimated my audience. I thought it would be understood that if someone is in dual enrollment, they are in HS and don't actually attend classes on a college campus.

Last edited:
Tennessee used to have prep schools where you would go to bring your grades up and take remedial classes if they were not up to snuff when you graduated high school or if you had potential but we’re undersized or needed development.

UT would send players to Tennessee Military Institute in Sweetwater to get unqualified players eligible. Dale jones was one.
I’m not sure why that system when away, but I think it has to do with the economics of running those schools after the state created the public community college system. I think TMI closed in the 80s or 90s.
The school was bought by the Japanese when I was a kid. So probably late 80's. I think Burt Reynolds played RB there. His pictures were up in the barber shop.

Quite frankly, I don't either but stumbled on an article about Volunteer State Community College and committed an ASSume regarding football. The article title and placement was misleading but no excuse for not to GOOGLE explore the information further at the time.
Baseball, no football.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Tennessee has 13 community colleges and none have a scholarship football program. They are expensive and form a brief look, no desire to add it

Very expensive. And something else to consider: I did two years at Vol State and it was a great experience. Prepared me for a university workload, made some lifelong friends there, and not to mention that it’s much, much cheaper than a 4 year school for the first two years. Especially now with Tennessee Promise. But community college is seen by most as a transitional time, including by students. The focus really is all academic: most people have nothing to do with “campus life” as the would at a university. This includes athletics. I never went to a ball game of any kind at Vol State, and most people I knew never did either. And if sports like basketball and baseball struggle (with much, much less overhead than football), football would not make the least bit of financial sense.

VN Store

Back