Volunteer State Community College

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Serious question here. I seem to frequently read where our Vols pull in JUCO players from Arizona, California, and other state community colleges. But far as I know, I recall no JUCOs from any in-state community colleges like Volunteer State Community College. Is there a reason for this other than possibly our JUCO aren't Vols-worthy?

Serious question here. I seem to frequently read where our Vols pull in JUCO players from Arizona, California, and other state community colleges. But far as I know, I recall no JUCOs from any in-state community colleges like Volunteer State Community College. Is there a reason for this other than possibly our JUCO aren't Vols-worthy?
I don't know of any community college football programs in Tennessee

Quite frankly, I don't either but stumbled on an article about Volunteer State Community College and committed an ASSume regarding football. The article title and placement was misleading but no excuse for not to GOOGLE explore the information further at the time.

Reactions: VolNExile
Don't think there are any. I can only think of one here in Georgia. For whatever reason, there aren't very many JUCO football programs east of Mississippi. I'd guess that it's cost prohibitive for most 2 year schools.

Don't think there are any. I can only think of one here in Georgia. For whatever reason, there aren't very many JUCO football programs east of Mississippi. I'd guess that it's cost prohibitive for most 2 year schools.
Plenty in the NE...hence Osovet.

Reactions: Tombo7
GMC?

Tennessee used to have prep schools where you would go to bring your grades up and take remedial classes if they were not up to snuff when you graduated high school or if you had potential but we’re undersized or needed development.

UT would send players to Tennessee Military Institute in Sweetwater to get unqualified players eligible. Dale jones was one.
I’m not sure why that system when away, but I think it has to do with the economics of running those schools after the state created the public community college system. I think TMI closed in the 80s or 90s.

Last edited:

Like you, I am not aware of too many JUCO football programs EAST of the Mississippi River. However, every JUCO in the State of Mississippi has a football program and they are very competitive each and every year - Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (MGCCC) in Parkinson, MS won the 2019 JUCO Football Championship and East Mississippi Community College won it a number of times between 2010 nd 2020.

I was wondering why the larger community colleges in Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama don't have similar programs? Here in Mississippi JUCO football is a real cash cow for the schools and the games are very well attended. As a bonus, some of the JUCO marching bands down here would blow a many 4-year college bands off the field in competition.

If you have ever watched last chance u, it seems that there is only a handful of junior colleges that take their football program as serious as most D1 schools. So it stands to reason that most kids that are wanting to be highly ranked juco players will go to one of those few schools. Not saying that good players can't come from other schools. But it is the law of large numbers.

Cali has a great juco system for football. Especially in and around LA. Their juco system is just great overall even for regular folks. Capped cheap tuition and automatic transfer into Cal college system. Lots of kids cannot get into UCLA but go to El Camino or Santa Monica College and transfer in for their junior year.

VN Store

Back